Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Radio/GPS upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Norm-L View Post
    I have an Xterra, which can barely get out of its own way, and no trailer hitch, unfortunately.
    U-Haul rents trucks too, don't they

I absolutely love this modern modification. Makes me wonder if it would be possible to have this molded somewhere overseas. I'd be afraid to mulch good bezels. As for the traction control switch Creighton I'd love to see you put it where the audio label vent is. It seems to have a similar shape - I sometimes think that Ford might have wanted to use that for a switch. The slits don't seem to anything that I am aware of (as in feeding a temp sensor or the like).

Quote Originally Posted by potshotscott View Post
    have this molded somewhere overseas.
    Sure, I have a guy, no problem, very quick, just $$, but...the unit cost would be high unless you wanted a few hundred thousand of them

Same thing as w/wiper cowls. 3D printing might be more realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by potshotscott View Post
    I absolutely love this modern modification. Makes me wonder if it would be possible to have this molded somewhere overseas. I'd be afraid to mulch good bezels. As for the traction control switch Creighton I'd love to see you put it where the audio label vent is. It seems to have a similar shape - I sometimes think that Ford might have wanted to use that for a switch. The slits don't seem to anything that I am aware of (as in feeding a temp sensor or the like).
    Behind those slits is a sensor that, I believe, reads the interior temperature as part of the automatic climate control. I think the air tube behind the sensor is connected to an air duct, drawing air over the sensor from the passenger compartment.

I thought about having a mold made, but I needed to make sure it fit first. Then, I would have to remove the air vent and clips I had just welded on in order to have a proper mold-ready part. Coolant had been slowly seeping out between the block and the timing chain cover so I ended up having the engine apart all winter, fixing the leak and smoothing out and re-powder coating all the supercharger components and misc parts and detailing and rewiring the engine bay to clean it up some more. When I finally got it done and spring came, I ripped into the dash. I just wanted to finally drive the damn thing. lol Now, the supercharger matches the new Enkei wheels, the bay looks simpler, I can find car shows and no more little puddles.

Name:  _DSCN0206sm.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  178.9 KB

Name:  _DSCN0221sm.jpg
Size:  168.4 KB

A couple of before and after shots
    Name:  Plenum comp-sm.jpg
Size:  153.2 KB

Name:  Rear Tube comp-sm.jpg
Size:  154.0 KB

Name:  _DSCN0286sm.jpg
Size:  154.0 KB
    Last edited by Norm-L; 08-12-2017 at 03:03 PM.

Wow! Car looks great.
    Creighton

Stunning bay - needs one of these, perhaps:

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthre...billet+coolant

Not sure if he still makes them - only see the bolt.

Ken
    Last edited by KMT; 08-12-2017 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KMT View Post
    Stunning bay - needs one of these, perhaps:

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthre...billet+coolant

Not sure if he still makes them - only see the bolt.

Ken
    Really, try finding the damn 'O' ring so it seals! Mine's been sitting in my tool box since I got it.

I agree Ken. I saw the aluminum cap at Tbscshop. I really liked the black one with the white lettering, but I got the white plastic one with the stainless bolt. After I received it, I got second thoughts and went back to the site for the black one. It was no longer listed. I didn't see the one you showed in the link. I will say though, I thought it was weird that the cap came with one o-ring. I wasn't sure if it was supposed to go on top or under the cap. I'm not sure it mattered. The cap and bolt weren't o-ring friendly. The o-ring wouldn't seat properly. Part of the o-ring would fall into the hole and I couldn't seal it. To stop the slow leak I had to remove the o-ring. The plastic made a great seal on both the goose neck and the bolt. My original cap didn't have any o-ring either.
    I assume you guys have had no leaking problems with the aluminum cap? I would still love to find the black anodized/white lettered cap, but I would hope it was built for 2 o-rings.

Btw, have any of you ever used one of these coolant re-fillers? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 OMG!!!!!! It was my first time using one for filling coolant. It was the most unbelievably easy way to refill one of these engines. It was flawless!!! It took about a minute for the coolant to completely and efficiently fill the system.

I also highly recommend these seals to anyone who's had a tough time sealing oil pan or 5-speed drain/fill plugs. Best ones I've ever used. They torque and seal perfectly.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Ira, maybe a pair of these would seal that cap.
    Last edited by Norm-L; 08-13-2017 at 03:10 AM.

I assume you guys have had no leaking problems with the aluminum cap?
    I have two - polished, w/no white lettering, and black w/white lettering (currently installed) - neither has ever leaked. Single (small/thin) o-ring on top. Ran the factory bolt w/the polished cap...running his bolt w/black. This is with a rehab'd thermostat housing that included decking the top/end of the bleed standoff.

Ken

Thanks for the info. I'm still interested in finding one, so it's good to know it's reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Creighton View Post
    Outstanding. You just saved me a bunch of time. I had just starting working on how to save the VMM with a double din. Thank you sir!!
    Creighton
    Keep us updated as you progress.

I'm still interested in finding one...
    Make me an offer on the polished spare I have?

I got it first and then waited for the black, which looks great under the hood of my '90 Anny.

What about the billet sills? Did you get in on those?

Thanks! Auto doesn't have room for extra switches there :-(.
    Playing with my new WiFi Endoscope. Fine tool.
    Does anyone know if this switch is normally-open. This is Traction Control that will need extending.
    Thanks!
    Creighton
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by Creighton View Post
    Does anyone know if this switch is normally-open.
    Ford loves to make/break circuits thru a ground, so yes, I believe so. Checked your EVTM?

My bet as well. Didn't think EVTM went inside assemblies. Will look. Thanks!
    Creighton