Possible New Project

TBirdJKC

Found a nice, loaded, 92 Taurus wagon on Craigslist for $800. It has a 3.8 in it. I'm wondering if anyone has attempted a fwd SC swap? I have an extra motor from my 90 and a late model blower. I'm thinking 3.8 SC, SHO 5 speed and related parts and I could have a pretty cool sleeper. My only concerns are hood clearance and the fwd 3.8's have a balancing shaft. Anyone know how important they are?

Here's a pic of the car I'm thinking about. 00c0c_jIHqdvtmXtd_600x450.jpg00U0U_lz24wG3P7pL_600x450.jpg00D0D_3T5CW4xYT5B_600x450.jpg

The FWD block has a different bell housing and motor mount pattern, so you can't install an SC motor in there, but you could probably swap SC internals into that block. I don't know if the SHO and the FWD 3.8 use the same bell housing or not, but if they do, an SHO 5-speed should bolt right in. As for the balance shaft, I believe those bearing surfaces receive pressurized oil, so if you are going to delete it, you will need to block off the oil passages. I don't think hood clearance would be much of an issue, as the Tbird had a pretty low hood in the first place and it clears that just fine, but running piping for an intercooler could get tight.

I had no idea fwd Fords had a different bell pattern. I would assume they share the SHO pattern since they all use the axod auto. Doesn't seem cost effective to make them all different for the limited number of 3.8 taurus' and SHO's out there. But you know where assuming gets you. I'll have to do a little research.

I don't necessarily want to get rid of the balance shaft, but I was thinking if I was able to swap the sc block in, there is no balance shaft.

I know the mounts are different but, from what I can remember from my fwd 3.8 continental, they are not far off as far as the mounting positions on the block go. I'm thinking I may be able to adapt something if I can get it to bolt up to the fwd tranny.

For the IC piping I was thinking of relocating the battery to the trunk and facing the hat towards the rear of the engine. It looks like I would have some clearance there, but I won't know until I get it home.

Accessory clearance is my other concern. I'm sure the Taurus has a much lower profile accessory setup compared to the sc.

I was just looking at it for a commuter car and thinking I have all of this extra sc stuff sitting around. It would be fun to have something that would keep up with a wrx on the highway. :D

Last edited:
Easy swap. Even better yet - put another one in the back! You could go chase down Fusion Sports all day long. lol

If the 3.8L SC is out the question, you could always do a SHO waggon! That's what I wanted to do with my dad's old 91 LX waggon (fully loaded, leather, sunroof, keyless, the works!) but as I was gathering parts it fell victim to the common SHO steering line leak right over the cat converter and...POOF! up in smoke.

The SHO conversion is very doable if you have a donor car to transfer parts from. Very nice sound when the secondaries open up in that yamaha motor.

Easy swap. Even better yet - put another one in the back! You could go chase down Fusion Sports all day long. lol

Dave, I cant tell if your joking or serious! ;) That would be unique though. You're right, second engine in the back for superior weight distribution!

If the 3.8L SC is out the question, you could always do a SHO waggon! That's what I wanted to do with my dad's old 91 LX waggon (fully loaded, leather, sunroof, keyless, the works!) but as I was gathering parts it fell victim to the common SHO steering line leak right over the cat converter and...POOF! up in smoke.

The SHO conversion is very doable if you have a donor car to transfer parts from. Very nice sound when the secondaries open up in that yamaha motor.

Yeah, I always wanted an SHO. But I figured I would ask since I have all of these SC parts sitting around collecting dust and most of the wagons are 3.8's, granted not an SC 3.8, but still easier than starting off with a 3.0 car.

I ended up passing on the car anyway. Body and interior looked super clean, but not much of the floor pan was left due to the great lakes winters.

Last edited:
Back