Throttle Body and Linkage

DougH

I have a 1991 SC that I bought new. The clip or fastener that connect them both together broke while I was driving. Long story short I fried the tranny and cost me 3K to get rebuilt. Ford can't tell me what type of clip if any connects the 2 together. I don't know if its a e-clip or what. Can anyone give me some help as to what I need to have a safe connection ?

Thanks All ( you can PM me also or reply here )

You'll want to get the brass replacement - the plastic one is what failed and caused your issue.

part # - F3SZ-7H303-B

attachment.php

-Tim

The bushing that I have now is metal and I think the mechanic used a e-clip instead of that clip that is in the picture you sent. That pretty much explains why it failed. Your a life savior .

I did manage to find one brand new for $25.

Thank You Very Much !

Besides the clip/bushing, confirm the cable end position was adjusted properly - speak up if you need that process...it's pretty straight forward, I think.

Ken

Besides the clip/bushing, confirm the cable end position was adjusted properly - speak up if you need that process...it's pretty straight forward, I think.

Ken

Ken....Can you send me the process please

1. With the cable connected to the TB, unlock the cable-end keeper (it's that black nylon square part on the end of the cable in Tim's excellent photo) - there is a small slide lock (see the small flat tab in the middle of the keeper at the top/front?) that rests against the toothed cable end inside the keeper. Pry/slide the lock up/away a bit until the body of the main keeper is free to slide/move on the cable end. Might want to count the number of exposed teeth beyond the keeper for reference before starting. 12?
  2. Let the mechanical throttle linkage relax against the stop on the TB, while tugging gently on the end of the cable, just to confirm no slack, forward/away from the keeper. A bit of very minor tension is ok, but no slack.
  3. Lock the keeper.
  4. Done

Test drive and get the trans up to temp to confirm. Reset the clip as needed. If the trans slips, increase the tension. Be very conservative, tho, until you've driven around and confirmed all shift points in all gears. The wrong amount of tension, or lack thereof, as you sadly learned, is not good for the trans in very short order.

Same process as on the assembly line, BTW.

Good luck.

Last edited:
The Keeper

Does anyone happen to have the part number # for the keeper or the replacement part # for the keeper ?

Thank You

Back