Solid ABS light?

Mercutio

SCCoA Member
My ABS light came on and stayed on today. No flashing. What's the most likely cause? On my Camaro, a solid ABS light can indicate a bad wheel bearing, but not sure about these cars.

My ABS light came on and stayed on today. No flashing. What's the most likely cause?

Check to see the pump has stopped running. If the light is on, and the pump continues to run, then it isnt making peak pressure. Usually indicates a very small leak, often around the accumulator, and/or steel high pressure line. Often at the fittings.

If the light is on, and the pump is off, then there is another issue. Try to pull codes and also inspect the sensor wiring. Some people have had problems with the ABS computer in the trunk tray. If you have a spare, it might be worth a swap out to see if the problem persists. Third thing is there is a relay on the firewall on the passenger side, that controls power to the ABS module. If thats bad, it can trip the yellow light as well.

I've always wondered - how does one determine if the pump is running? Is the pump the device under the driver side front fender??? Do you simply feel it?

I've always wondered - how does one determine if the pump is running? Is the pump the device under the driver side front fender??? Do you simply feel it?
The pump is right beneath the brake fluid reservoir on the firewall. You may have to open the hood and get close to hear it running. Its also easier if the engine is off. You often don't need the engine running to test if the pump is building enough pressure... but the constant "ding-ding-ding" from the warning chime might drown it out... thats why many of us unplugged that thing long ago :rolleyes:

I've found that the most common problems are, the antilock relay, the pump brushes, or the high pressure switch. Check Duffy Floyd's article on how to jumper the pump. It is a round connector on the fender side of the reservoir. I'd replace the relay first since it is easiest. The pump and switch are a bear to R & R.

if the pump is running you will hear it also if its not the brake pedal will be hard

93 Sc abs

I'm having problems on my 93 Sc.amber light came on, checked the fuse and it was blown.put another fuse and that blew asoon as I put it in.so for some reasons its grounding out, my search begins.

Back