Why the SC Hasn't Left the Trailer all Year

SCrazy

SCCoA Member
I've spent this spring and summer working to replace my old BBQ pit. I had the old one for years (probably 15) and it was finally starting to rust out on the inside. So I decided to build a new one, make it a bit bigger and get a little fancy. Well the project got WAY out of hand!!! The new pit is 8.5' long, 36" diameter with at fire box that is a 36" cube double wall with 2" of insulation. It is mounted on a purpose built trailer with the entire rig weighing in at I think about 4,000 lbs. Everything on the pit is made out of 1/4" steel...it is massive.

I've got over 200hrs of labor and god only knows how much $$ into this thing but it was a really fun project.

Just finished everything up last week and had 120 people at the house on Saturday for a trial run of 20 racks of ribs.

20170817_184354.jpg

20170813_193441_009.jpg

I've spent this spring and summer working to replace my old BBQ pit. I had the old one for years (probably 15) and it was finally starting to rust out on the inside. So I decided to build a new one, make it a bit bigger and get a little fancy. Well the project got WAY out of hand!!! The new pit is 8.5' long, 36" diameter with at fire box that is a 36" cube double wall with 2" of insulation. It is mounted on a purpose built trailer with the entire rig weighing in at I think about 4,000 lbs. Everything on the pit is made out of 1/4" steel...it is massive.

I've got over 200hrs of labor and god only knows how much $$ into this thing but it was a really fun project.

Just finished everything up last week and had 120 people at the house on Saturday for a trial run of 20 racks of ribs.

View attachment 67572

View attachment 67573

How does the trailer pull down the road. Doesnt look like their would be a lot of tongue weight. Nice project, now how about the car. going to the shootout??

Ken

How does the trailer pull down the road. Doesnt look like their would be a lot of tongue weight. Nice project, now how about the car. going to the shootout??

Ken

I haven't had it on the highway yet but the tongue is heavy enough that I cannot even begin to lift it. When I built the trailer I pushed the axles WAY back, the CG of the smoker is basically centered on the axles.

I do have plans to add a charcoal grill and propane burners to the front so if the tongue is a bit light right now that will help.

In this picture you can see how far back the axles are, the CG of the smoker is just about where the front of the cutout in the expanded metal is (I think)

20170723_112135.jpg

Last edited:
That looks awesome!

I can't wait to see it at the shootout. I'll put my order in for brisket and ribs now.

And you have too much time in your hands.

That looks awesome!

I can't wait to see it at the shootout. I'll put my order in for brisket and ribs now.

And you have too much time in your hands.

This thing has consumed every spare minute of my time for the last 4 or 5 months......you should see the honey do list!!!!!

Do you think I can get a tandem permit to pull it behind the car trailer?

Back