Thread: Where are you??

Where are you??

Ok, all you SuperCoupe enthusiasts,

Something fellow posters have said was SO SIMPLE is being a pain in my backside!!

I need to replace a CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR, and it's not in the location where I've been told. Everyone says "it's an easy fix", but apparently only to a bonafide SC owner who knows how to tear down and rebuild a complete engine.

I own a 1992..... are they positioned the same in every year? One thread says you must unbolt the power steering fluid reservoir. Just to get to this, I'd have to remove one of the Supercharger input / output tubes. Correct? Not much working area in there, for sure!

Can anyone give me a better idea of where and how to get to this sensor?

I APPRECIATE THIS WEBSITE AND ALL THE HELPFUL MEMBERS!

Gary Henry
    Charlotte, NC

P.S. Oh yes, I have the 5mm socket ready to go!

The sensor if you are looking at the engine is on the passenger side of the supercharger snout...looks like a hockey puck is the best way to describe it without an image.

Usually nothing has to be removed to get to it to replace it...maybe move some of the wiring harness around, but otherwise no physical removal.

There is nothing you'll need to do except remove and bolt the new one down...all years are the same.

-Tim
    Current Collection
    1994 Thunderbird SC - Auto converted to 5spd

1995 Thunderbird SC - Auto

1994 Thunderbird SC - 5spd
    1989 Thunderbird SC - 5spd - Daily Driver
    1990 Thunder/Cougar XR7 - 5spd
    1994 Thunderbird SC - 3v Project

To go along w/Tim's description (note the connector is already loose in the photo and the pulley upper right is on the supercharger):

It may take some fiddling to get the connector off, just be patient and don't snap the retainer clip. They tend to be brittle when they get old.

When installing the new one, it may come with a fresh connector gasket (usually red), so look inside your connector first, to be sure the old one isn't hiding there - don't want to have two, just one.

Remove the battery cable for a several minutes to force the computer to forget values from the old one, then once the new one is in and the battery re-connected, start/drive around normally for 15~20 minutes so the computer will have a chance to re-learn.
    Last edited by KMT; 08-11-2017 at 05:55 PM.

A heartfelt THANK YOU!

KMT,

Your photo was the biggest help of all! I was nowhere close. (If I were a surgeon operating on a knee, I would've been searching around the elbow somewhere!) LOL.

Of course my biggest help would be from Oregon.... where most of my relatives on my Mom's side are from.

Thanks again,

Gary Henry

That 5mm socket won't help you

5.5mm my friend!
    Matt Haub
    Shootouts: '09 SS 1st | '10 Mod1 2nd | '11 Bracket 3rd | '12 Bracket 1st | 2013 | '14 Bracket 3rd | 2015 | '16 Bracket 1st & Mod2 2nd | 2017 |
    Black '89 5spd - 281K miles, MPx, E85, Alky-Inj RWHP: ? RWTQ: ? Best 1/4mi:12.521, MPH:107.23mph
    35th Anniversary Auto 46k miles | Red '93 Auto 186k miles
    My Garage

cam sensor

If you plan to keep your SC for a long time , I would suggest going on Ebay and purchasing the FACTORY manuals. They can be had for from twenty five to fifty dollars. I purchased both factory manuals and they were in mint condition for twenty nine dollars. A person could completely tear a car apart and put it back together with these two manuals. I have a 93 SC (I bought it in 94 with 19000 mi ) , it has 78000 miles and is factory stock except for tires and two front shocks which started to leak. Replaced with Tokico eledtrics