Recommended UCA

rickbtbird

Had two sets of UCA installed in the past 90 days. The last set was due to squeaking. Is there a brand recommended?

If you get 10 replies, you'll probably get 25 or more recommendations *grins*

For my money, the Raybestos Professional / ACDelco Professional are the ones to get, since a) they have a larger ball joint and b) it's designed to be servicable. If you can find them, the Spicer Pro (which is what the Raybestos and ACDelco are, just relabeled) are identical.

Moog's higher end line are still tolerable, but the QC has slipped quite a bit.

Cheap crap is, of course, cheap crap. And not worth the bother, IMO.

(Same brands for LCAs too, in case you're wondering.)

RwP

If you get 10 replies, you'll probably get 25 or more recommendations *grins*

For my money, the Raybestos Professional / ACDelco Professional are the ones to get, since a) they have a larger ball joint and b) it's designed to be servicable. If you can find them, the Spicer Pro (which is what the Raybestos and ACDelco are, just relabeled) are identical.

Moog's higher end line are still tolerable, but the QC has slipped quite a bit.

Cheap crap is, of course, cheap crap. And not worth the bother, IMO.

(Same brands for LCAs too, in case you're wondering.)

RwP
Aye! Go with the highest grade you can get and never "service grade" or "economy". And nothing off eBay. If its cheap its because its crap.

So I didn't think it made a difference but my car is a 95.

The squeaking ones were Moog. The guy that does my work has 40 years experience and he did say every once in a while Moog does get a bad batch. If this continues I'll suggest to my tech use the ACDELCO.

Doing some research here's what I found.

RockAuto has some listed by my model as 46D1002A and 46D1001A. They're about $34.00 each. These likely are not the quality ones?

ACDELCO site has them listed as 45D1001 and 45D1002. I can get them at Summit or Rock Auto. They're about $50.00 each. They look like they have replaceable ball joints.

Weird how 45D1001 and 45D1002 don't show under the Super Coupe model on Rock Auto's site. Must be a garbage in and garbage out issue there.

Shop warranty - the longer the warranty, the better the quality. Everything else is just marketing ;)

Ken

Back