Insurance on SC's

91BlackSC

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of purchasing a 1991 SC, and, should have it soon. It will be only used during the spring and summer, for going to car shows, meets, weekend cruise, these types of things. My question to all of you is, for this particular scenario, would / do you all have it insured under your insurance company for your daily drivers, or, do you have it insured with another company, perhaps, companies that insure classic vehicles?

I'm trying to figure out what would be the best route to take in my situation. I do welcome all of the feedback you have to offer, and, any other additonal information that will help me with my decision on this subject. Additionally, I have attached a couple of photos of the SC I am purchasing.

Thank you all in advance for your time!

Pierre

Screenshot_20170814-173722.jpgScreenshot_20170814-143634.jpg

I just purchased a SC for much the same level of use. I went with American Collectors Insurance, which I got to through my USAA insurance. It was cheaper and allowed me to declare the value of the car, but it does limit miles and types of use. Nothing significant relative to your intended use. I think Hagerty's has something similar.

MP

Yeah, in researching the forums, I saw that you just purchased one. Congrats! I was actually looking at Hagerty's earlier this morning. I will have to check out American Collectors Insurance.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Definitely put collector's insurance on it. I will be much cheaper, and they will give you a stated value policy so you know off the bat what valuation they are using on the car, rather than a regular insurance company where they will value it like any old tbird and you will have to fight to get a fair amount if anything happens. In addition to the other 2 mentioned, Grundy is another one to check out. When looking into the classic insurance though, make sure to find out all the requirements and restrictions, in addition to price and vehicle value, so you can make the right decision.

I will definitely check out Grundy as well. Thanks for the other tid bits of information mentioned. That helps out quite a bit.

You could always do it like the corvette owners do and self-insure by owning two cars so you have a spare when the first one gets stolen, crashed, disappears in a hurricane... ;) Can be cheaper in some cases, or so I hear.

So, based on my quotes with the three companies listed within this thread, this is what I am being quoted (I have the same coverage across the board):

Hagerty: $591
American Collectors Insurance: $500
Grundy: $316

The above quotes are all per year (annual premium). Is there something I may be missing here? Anything else you all may know of?

If nothing else, based on the above, I see the logical choice I suppose. Correct me if I'm wrong though please.

Thanks

So, based on my quotes with the three companies listed within this thread, this is what I am being quoted (I have the same coverage across the board):

Hagerty: $591
American Collectors Insurance: $500
Grundy: $316

The above quotes are all per year (annual premium). Is there something I may be missing here? Anything else you all may know of?

If nothing else, based on the above, I see the logical choice I suppose. Correct me if I'm wrong though please.

Thanks

Make sure you are comparing apples to apples here. For example, Grundy requires the car be garaged and has a restriction on how you can use the car. I know, it isn't really much of a restriction, but it is one non-the-less, so you should be aware of that. Otherwise, in my experience, and it all depends on the value you are placing on the car, the figures look about right to me.

I Just got got grundy for 185 per year on my 94 with 15k stated value. And a million restrictrictions, but im ok with that i hardly will be driving it.

get what works for you..

I have more than one place with my cars.. This is never simple to do. Just be careful as to limits on each one... some kill you if you do mods, others don't. Some say limit on use, or miles, others don't care. Another BIG thing is who the place is... some like cars, some don't.. also be careful on driving to work or where you park over night...
These are all things to watch and you got to read everything twice to be sure.. I do have some with St Paul and they seem to be very open to the use we do.. Grundy is also a car guy so they are ok with most stull. I did meet the owner of that place once and yes he is a car guy... good luck and reread everything....Rich

Thanks so far, everyone. I think what I need to do is actually call all of these companies and speak with someone directly, to get the lowdown on everything, as well as an exact quote.

I'll have to put aside some time to do this. Fun fun!!

This is exactly why I suggested getting the list of all the restrictions, requirements, and coverages before deciding. If those 3 all have similar requirements, then Grundy is the obvious choice, but if that policy limits you to 3k miles a year and the others have unlimited mileage, then that $200 a year may be worth it to not be worrying about going over mileage.

You are correct. Additionally, I just made a few calls, and, based on some restrictions, etc., it looks as if I will be going with American Collectors Insurance.

I Just got got grundy for 185 per year on my 94 with 15k stated value. And a million restrictrictions, but im ok with that i hardly will be driving it.

15k stated value!! ???

I guess it didn't make all the horsepower you were expecting after all! LOL :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

We would be lucky tonget close to that no matter how much HP the cars make. I dont want a higher expense. I used to run regular insurance just comprehensive because in the event of an accident I did not want them to keep the car.

And Ira tisk tisk you will just have to wonder.

We would be lucky tonget close to that no matter how much HP the cars make. I dont want a higher expense. I used to run regular insurance just comprehensive because in the event of an accident I did not want them to keep the car.

And Ira tisk tisk you will just have to wonder.

You know what, I would love to see you hit whatever number makes you happy. Mid 4's if I remember correctly, wasn't it? Bet you must want more than that now with the bigger blower I suspect. Hey, wait, was that a challenge? You have spent so much time and money with such aggravation trying to get that beautiful car running the way you want it would be nice to see you meet your goals after all these years.

So you bring it to the Shoot Out and let's see how badly your brand new big blower makes my very old tiny little blower look! :p

+1 on regular insurance w/comp (which was pennies to add), and on keeping the car if totaled (vs. buying it back). I can park it or drive it and not have to do math, make phone calls etc. Just under $400 per yr.

You know what, I would love to see you hit whatever number makes you happy. Mid 4's if I remember correctly, wasn't it? Bet you must want more than that now with the bigger blower I suspect. Hey, wait, was that a challenge? You have spent so much time and money with such aggravation trying to get that beautiful car running the way you want it would be nice to see you meet your goals after all these years.

So you bring it to the Shoot Out and let's see how badly your brand new big blower makes my very old tiny little blower look! :p

The blower is fine, the power is fine, the car is fine. The spirit of owning it well thats the part that needs help. Its been a long time, the car has been out of my life for too long. But ill be a good sport and put on the team spirit face.

The blower is fine, the power is fine, the car is fine. The spirit of owning it well thats the part that needs help. Its been a long time, the car has been out of my life for too long. But ill be a good sport and put on the team spirit face.

I am glad you are back my friend! Now bring it to the shootout one more twin screw car to play with on the track would be great!

Back