Want to replace 94-95 A/C condenser...what are the options as of today? And a few q's

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
The chameleon car is going to get a new rad in a few weeks. While I'm at it, I'm going to replace the A/C condenser since the next project will be refurbing the entire A/C system on the car.

I did some reading and I'm left with a bunch of questions, which I'm hoping you guys can help me with.

1- Am I correct assuming that, as of today, NONE of the "short" condenser options are available for purchas brand new? The last posts I read were back in 2014 saying they were no longer available, but I'm wondering about the status.

2- Assuming there are no "short" versions available, Rock Auto shows APDI/PRO, Spectra Premium, TYC and OSC...any input on the quality of these? I'm interested in factory fit and a/c performance rather than size or obstruction to intercooler.

3- As always, my preference would be to use Motorcraft parts. A quick search hasn't yielded anything, but I will be doing a deeper search to see if I get lucky and source a motorcraft unit. The only part number I have available for the 94-95 condenser is: F6SZ-19712-BA. Does anyone have any other PN's? Perhaps the Motorcraft equivalent number?

4- By any chance, are early vs late model SC-specific condensers compatible? How about compatibility between n/a 3.8 or with 4.6/5.0?

Thanks in advance gents for any help!

Pretty sure that David D and I used a pre-1990 Ranger / Bronco II condenser on my 95 as a shorter unit when installing the FMIC. But that was 10+ years ago so my memory is fogged a bit. Still available from the aftermarket, long gone as a replacement Motorcraft part.

cheers
Ed

I picked up one of the offered narrow condensers back in 2010~2011. Still working great.

I'd think you could find a new one for the Bronco II, as an example, and while the right one will fit w/minimum mods, the only way you'll get OEM fitment is to use OEM design/replacement.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input folks.

I read about the bronco condenser. The threads seem to indicate that it's mostly a straight swap, but slight modification is still necessary including drilling new bolts. I want to avoid drilling new bolts. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that the only benefit of the bronco condenser is opening up space for the intercooler airflow. I'm not sure that's super important to me for my 94/95 since extra power is not my main focus.

It may be that I'll stick with one of the aftermarket offerings just to make sure it's a straight swap.

BTW, I'd hope anything you buy new will reflect updated design, such as parallel flow, but it wouldn't hurt to confirm.

Back