Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thunderbird tubular k-member

Thunderbird tubular k-member

Does anyone make a tubular k-member for the Thunderbird? If so who and how much?

There was talk about it 2 years ago, but nothing came of it. Maybe Paul of BTM has more info.

Jaime, I tried to get something going with this a while ago during my days working with SCPerformance. Though there was a lot of interest generated, I could not find anyone willing to produce one for a reasonable cost (under 800 bucks US) or that would guarentee the quality. I still have a list of the people that were interested, if you want to get together on this. Remember, these K members with little change will work for all the 89-97 Tbirds regardless of engine model.

Paul

I remember the talk about this. Wasn't there going to be a prob with the suspension because of how much weight you were going to lose. Meaning needing different springs to compensate.

T-BIRD K-MEMBERS
    Do you mean something like this
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Wow, nice. Heard that is good for at least 150 lbs.

No it takes off 124lb,with the k-member, a-arms, coil over struts.

now where did i put that web address.there it is t-bird k members 4130 or steel.

www.ajeracing.com
    Last edited by Randy N Connie; 04-16-2003 at 01:47 AM.

Does our SC use the Fox Chassis?

Actually...

It's NM12.

BTW: That's much better Randy.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by rivlee; 04-14-2003 at 05:10 PM.

I know of a few people that make them for fox chassis but not our MN12 chassis

The reason I ask is becuae I have a fabricator willing to make them up for you guys relatively cheap, well cheapre then what you guys could get them for. Top quality company too. We would need 25 orders to go ahead with the deal though, he will make up the jig and everything for them. This is for the k-member only. He may be able to make some arms as well, I can talk with him more on that.

how much each if you get 25 orders?

I am going to see if I can find out a price. I have to talk to the fabricator and see what he thinks, he has to determine how much time he needs to spend to get the first prototype made and then make the jig from that prototype, this is why he wants 25 orders to make it worth his while.

After that its basically how much for materials and labor to put it together. I'll talk with them tomorrow hopefully and get a base estimated price.

Im down for one..Make sure its Chromoly..And..Wouldnt it be nice if we could convert it to use the mustang style motor mount?....After all they bolt right up to our V6...When I put the tubular K member in my Couger (87) I was then able to use stang mounts..And the 87-88 5.0 couagrs use same mounts as 89 and up sc's
    They don't call me "SLOWPOKE" for nothin!
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage_v...vehicle&id=110
    Quote Originally Posted by ricardoa1 View Post
    I love the filter. Its pimp. paper element and 10Mircron filtration, 12" long cause size matters.

Chrome Moly is strong but not the best material for k-members. The constant abuse of the suspension can weaken Chrome moly, where as in a roll cage there is not nearly as much constant abuse. Yes CM is stronger but it is all brittle from what I have been told, so over time the CM will not stand up. This is what I have been told by a professional race car builder who builds roll cages and such.

Any other thoughts on this? I have always wondered the true benefits of a CM tubular k.