Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Support group

Funny thing is I really don't have anything to add/say about the car/cars specifically. Except maybe refer to a study done recently about vacations - they say that the longer you plan for a vacation, regardless of how the actual vacation turns out - the more psychological benefits you get from it. What I get from that is that it's more important that you have fun working towards accomplishing something than actually accomplishing anything. In the same line of thinking, if you hate the planning stage (I call that working on the problems) then the end result will never be worth it. My junk never works right. But I can't stop doing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Ya thats why i tape mine down. People think its bc i dont have a moonroof seal (which is true) but its really to keep my roof from ripping off .
    Email me here.

Quote Originally Posted by XR7 Dave View Post
    ...... What I get from that is that it's more important that you have fun working towards accomplishing something than actually accomplishing anything. In the same line of thinking, if you hate the planning stage (I call that working on the problems) then the end result will never be worth it. My junk never works right. But I can't stop doing it.
    I am with Dave - The planning stage is what keeps it fun and in the realm of things possible. As a retired Army Soldier, I can tell you that we lived to Plan! Even when we know the Plans usually do not survive first contact. But once you stop dreaming (planning) what else is there?

Surely this affects the more seasoned types among us, and that common-sense does not prevail here, LOL.

As a 27-year long "carrier of the SC pathogen" (half of my life now!!), I am dumbfounded as to why I enjoy driving the SCs more than my '11 GT500 in my garage or my other more modern vehicles? I can't explain it but instead of counting sheep to fall asleep at night....I just think about work and modifications to restore / modify the current flock of SCs until asleep. Hence, I must be 'infected' and ....I can't stop doing it.

Like others here, my first SC was delivered to me 27 years ago today (9/21/1990) and it still refuses to quit on me or me on it. It has never broken down and it has had its share of flogging and is still running strong. It only has 142K on it but I am sure it will go to 250 to 300K. The others in the flock will continue to evolve and be complete before I turn 60. Now that I have the time, that's the Plan: LMFAO.

Hey, I am sure we can retake this 'Philosophical / Psychological' topic over adult beverages at this year's Shootout - my SC brother, Kurt Sunday will Moderate!!

Best and keep the flame alive....
    1990 SC 5 Spd, Oxford White/Black Leather, 1 owner - "XB-70" - still Strong!
    1995 SC 5 Spd, OP White/Grey Leather, DLFs built car - "Mr. Hyde"
    1994 SC 5 Spd, Black/Grey Leather, loaded, - "39th Anniversary"
    1992 SC Auto, Oxford White/Black Leather, - "XB-70 - AV2"
    1995 SC Auto, OP White/Blue Leather, drag car project - "Free Bird"

I enjoy driving mine because I built it with my own hands and imagination and like Captain Wise said the looks are worth all that hard work. I have never taken this car out for a drive and not gotten a compliment. It's not ordinary it has mystery squeaks and noises that make the car feel alive, like it's a part of you. When I am done with the next big thing I plan for more things to improve. My car has all the harsh upgrades and then some in the drive line and finally I love the way my car Drives and rides. I had alot of trouble getting the AJE subframe all lined out but man I love it now. The Qa1 coilovers also added comfort as well as performance to the stiff somewhat comfortable ride I had before. I remember 8 or nine years ago thinking about how cool it would be to have a 500 hp t56 sc and now it's a reality lol. My next mod is one you will appreciate, a vintage air system lmao.
    MEMBER #2488 best rwhp 504 485 torque
    2016 shootout Best of show award
    2015 Carlisle Best of show modified, 1st place 92 93 SC and Celebrity's choice award winner.
    2014 Shootout Best of show 1st award winner
    2014 Comp cams VIP Car craft street machine nationals
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage.p...e_view&id=7152

Not sure if it's just me or Dalke is drunk but I can't seem to relate to the analogy. I applaud you guys that love wrenching and planning and building and fabricating. But I'm a driver, if I had it my way I'd have a pit crew. My car was built in the era of group buys, experimental research and forum mod list signatures. It didn't matter what the mod did as long as it was put in the signature it was cool.

Clark I see a little bit of the young me in you, silly to say, cause you are probably older than me not sure. I guess I just wanted to stop spending money on it for a bit and actually drive and have fun with it. Guess I'll just turn up the music louder.
    1994 Supercoupe 5spd Custom, first to buy a 2.1L Big Bore Kenne Bell Twin Screw for an SC
    Old numbers on 1.7l AR SC: 415WHP off the bottle-12.2535 @112.18 off the bottle. Best TQ to date 516ft/lbs, New numbers 480whp on dream crusher.
    1990 35th 5spd 2011 Carlisle 1st place class winner. 12.9@108MPH 1.9
    2013 GT/CS 5.0L FRPP 2.3l Whipplecharged family weekend car
    2005 SAAB 9-3 Aero 2.0L TURBO Work Mule

Quote Originally Posted by ricardoa1 View Post
    actually drive and have fun with it.
    👍

You know what they say - when you let your friends pick your dates you never know what you'll wake up next to...

Obviously a car that is always having issues is no fun, but with an SC, especially a heavily modified one, if you don't enjoy working on the car, you need to either write some big checks, or find something else. With as much easy drivable reliable power as you can make with the newer motors, the SC is more of an underdog than it ever was, but it is still a great power plant, and a great chassis. I'm not going to say go back to stock, but these days, you have to abandon the hope of being the fastest car on the road, and enjoy the car for what it is. That being said, personally I would rather daily drive a 300hp SC than a 500hp new Mustang. New cars are so entrenched with technology, that I feel like more of a passenger as the computer drives the car and the drive by wire tries to interpret what it thinks I mean by my throttle inputs.

As for your particular situation, my advice at this point would be drive the car to work every Friday for a few weeks in a row, and each weekend fix one thing that pissed you off on the ride home Friday evening. I think a lot on your list could be dealt with or mitigated with some time and minimal money. Re-route the clutch line away from the exhaust. Get some lock-tite on those bolts that keep loosening up. Mess with different springs on the throttle to get the feel right. Some hush-mat or something like that will help keep the noise and heat out of the cabin, and some elbow grease and rattle-can paint can do wonders for faded or peeling under hood components. I honestly think 3 of 4 weekends and $250 will go a long way toward making the car more enjoyable on the street without sacrificing speed or handling. It won't be perfect, but it should be enough to get your spirits back about the car.

My car was built in the era of group buys, experimental research and forum mod list signatures. It didn't matter what the mod did as long as it was put in the signature it was cool.
    I was just thinking the same the other day when I dug up your thread from 2010 when we both went to bigger fuel lines, the club as a whole is dying off from the prime days of pre 2012.
    SCCoA Member#: 2515
    1990 SC AOD 2.1L Kenne Bell
    11.676 @ 121.35 mph
    506hp/478tq
    My Garage

Not sure if it's just me or Dalke is drunk but I can't seem to relate to the analogy. I applaud you guys that love wrenching and planning and building and fabricating. But I'm a driver, if I had it my way I'd have a pit crew. My car was built in the era of group buys, experimental research and forum mod list signatures. It didn't matter what the mod did as long as it was put in the signature it was cool.
    You remind me a lot of Bill McNeil. That's a good thing, just saying you remind me of him. It also means that your viewpoint isn't weird, just different. I have to try to remind myself often that other people see things differently. Sounds like to me you'd have more fun in a stock(ish) SC with a lot of power. I hate the thought that you may have to reverse a lot of your mods to get something you like, but I think that might be the answer. Forget about wheel hop, it's a lot easier to control when you have a lot of power.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Ya thats why i tape mine down. People think its bc i dont have a moonroof seal (which is true) but its really to keep my roof from ripping off .
    Email me here.

I think most have contemplated selling the car (or burning it) at some point. You have to get to where you're content with the car, within reason, I mean decent power, looks ok, rides well, and then enjoy the car for what it is, knowing that it will always have some minor stuff that needs attention. Sucks that you made all those mods and not happy with the way they turned out.

Over the last few years I have been happy with the car and actually enjoy just driving it. I get together with the boys and cruise quite often, it runs well and power is decent as long as you accept that their will always be someone with a faster better looking car.

Angry

Thank you guys, this car is relentless at destroying my spirits for it.

Worked on the paint of the car for two days. Exited about it I booked the shootout reservations and renewed my membership. Fist blow, all hotels in the area are sold out. But no biggie let's wait a few days maybe there will be cancellations. Meanwhile after all the hard work I promissed the my lady to go for a walk at the beach with the baby. Exited to drive in the all shinny SC I decidesd to take it to get us there, made it out 20 mins and car stalls not sure if from idle settings still being off or if power was killed by and electrical short or over heat. Well Tried cranking while coasting and nothing from the starter, no click nothing. I am all to familiar with this car stalling so I pulled from traffic into a gas station, and coast to a stop. Try again lights go on but no start, funny noises from the ignition switches and I quit trying. After a moment of silence from my lady and I called family and friends for help. Middle of the a getto neighborhood none the less. Got props from a drunk guy that used to have an LX and some guy in an a rust bucket maxima with an exhaust. We waited for about an hour decided to try again. And hold and behold the damn car starts. But something happened to the parking/cluster lights, checked fuses under the dash and they were not blown. Now it's an unsolved mystery. The car started that's the priority I drove home with no lights except for the headlights. Parked it and covered it. I don't know what to say, the starter or the ignition switch is acting up. Not sure if the heat from the headers toasted my 10th starter motor. I have lifetime warranty but can't remember what store I bought it from.

Anyhow not sure if it's smart taking the car 3000 miles To the shootout. Forget asking my lady if she will be going.
    1994 Supercoupe 5spd Custom, first to buy a 2.1L Big Bore Kenne Bell Twin Screw for an SC
    Old numbers on 1.7l AR SC: 415WHP off the bottle-12.2535 @112.18 off the bottle. Best TQ to date 516ft/lbs, New numbers 480whp on dream crusher.

I wish I was closer to try to help out man!
    93 SC Red Auto 111k
    2013 Shootout Bracket ET First Place
    2015 Shootout Car Show Honerable Mention
    2016 Shootout Mod-1 First Place
    4.2, 2.3 Whipple, 3.73s AOD
    307rwhp 12.70@107.2 (MPX)
    395rwhp Whipple.... et ?????

Anyhow not sure if it's smart taking the car 3000 miles To the shootout.
    That's what they made trailers for................
    SCCOA Member #2406
    '94 SC AUTO - $$$$ Pit
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage_v..._vehicle&id=19

Definitely sounds like an ignition switch issue. Pull the trim down around the column and have a look at the switch, as well as the wiring. I had one fail before where the wiring was somewhat burnt up at the connector, and wouldn't make a good contact, and it caused all kinds of weird intermittent electrical gremlins.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
    Definitely sounds like an ignition switch issue. Pull the trim down around the column and have a look at the switch, as well as the wiring. I had one fail before where the wiring was somewhat burnt up at the connector, and wouldn't make a good contact, and it caused all kinds of weird intermittent electrical gremlins.
    Yeah I got a motorcraft in order and got the warranty starter just in case. I hope this turns back on the parking lights but I don't see the wiring correlation other than it all failed at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by nickleman60 View Post
    That's what they made trailers for................
    Some of you are lucky to have them.
    I can't be adding one with the frequency I would use it. Take that back I'd be needing it every day at this rate