Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Support group

I'm not in any of those groups.

I bought the XR7 when it was less than a year old. It was wrecked. Totalled. I fixed it. I had $9k in an $18K car. I was fresh out of college and newly married. I didn't have 50 cents to rub together. We struggled to make the $300/mo payment on the car. Between the two of us we barely made it. During that time I focused my speed bug on a 1981 Dodge Colt I did an engine swap in that car and learned how to swap transmissions in the evenings in my apartment parking lot because it seemed to break them every time I raced someone.

I didn't do a single mod to the car until it was paid off 3 years later. Then I added a 10% pulley and a 180 deg thermostat. Cost under $100. At this point the car was about 4 years old, all my friends were modding their cars, but mine was basically stock and definitely slow. I actually hated the car during this time. I was so poor when the mufflers started rattling I cut them off but it was too loud and I couldn't afford two new mufflers, so I bought one, and had a muffler shop turn it into a single exhaust. It was embarrassing but that's all I could afford. It sounded terrible, wheezing and farting

In 96 Phil was 2 and Connie and I were both working. I could finally afford a couple minor things. I bought a chip, C&L 73mm MAF, and I built my own exhaust working in a speed shop in Texas where I exchanged my help on odd jobs around the place for the ability to work on my car there on weekends. I learned to TIG weld there. After that upgrade the car was quick enough to beat SHO's and Impala SS's. I was getting somewhere. I still kinda hated the car and almost traded it in on a Camaro.

That same year my brother in law bought a 96 Camaro SS (much to my chagrin), and went off bragging how fast it was. I challenged him to a race on the dragstrip and ended up beating him 2 out of 3. It was only at this point that I was finally hooked. I knew I could either spend my life chasing all the guys who owned the true muscle cars (Camaros and Mustangs) and had bigger budgets than me, or I could drive the XR7 and piss off just enough of them that were unsuspecting to make it fun. I knew if I bought something more popular I'd just spend my life playing catch up and I didn't have the money for that and probably never would.

So in truth the XR7 saved me a lot of money and heartache. Throughout it's modded life I promised myself never to take money off the table to mod it, and to only do things that I was pretty sure I would like. It spent many years unmodded, or slow, or boring. It did tow vehicle duty when I was autocrossing, it did truck duty when I needed to haul transmissions from the junkyard, and it did daily commuting for years and years.

In the end I couldn't tell you how much I did or didn't spend on it. Frankly it doesn't matter, because I only used pocket change to mod it anyway. How much money does one spend going out on weekends for a year? I'm sure you don't know. I don't know. It's the same with my car. To this day I don't have record of what I've spent, but none of it went on credit cards, none of it prevented anything else we might have done, and in the end idk if it actually cost me anything.

The first round of big mods for the car came in 2001 when I bought Denis Demitratos' car. I paid I think $3000 for it, and then turned around and sold parts off it until I had $0 in the mods I kept from it. I broke even on the car and ended up with a FMIC, Sport blower, 3.55 gears, Centerforce clutch, Ripper shifter, long tube headers and some worn out drag radials that eventually broke both of my axles. lol

The XR7 now sits on the side of the house rusting away because we put well over 200K on it and the body simply didn't hold up. But I have other cars now and I don't put money into them either. The fact that I'm not going to be at the Shootout this year for the first time in 15 years is further evidence to the fact that I've been disciplined somewhat over the years to do only what I can afford. In this case it's more time than money, but time = money so I guess it's the same thing in the end.

I won't ever sell my fleet of SC's. Some come and go when people show up who I think are better matches for some of them than I am. I try to spread the love when I can and I do my best to keep worthy SC's rolling. I'll be driving these I suppose when they pull my driver's license because I very seriously have enough of these to keep driving them for the rest of my useful life.

What makes it interesting to me is trying new things and reminding myself that I enjoy driving these even though I know they aren't the best cars in the world. It's kind of like your family, you all have flaws and there is always that one idiot, but you are family and you aren't going to go out and find a new one. I kind of feel like that about the SC's. Sure they have plenty of flaws, but so do I and we are family. I didn't choose the XR7 in the beginning just like you don't choose your family, it was actually chosen for me (honestly it was literally chosen for me!). I've loved it and hated it. The first time I drove it - with no windshield! - I absolutely knew I had never driven such a refined automobile - ever. I can't describe the euphoria I felt. I guess imagine driving a Bugatti. It was that good (at the time) - or maybe it was just the wind in my face, idk. It was February after all. Of course at the time my daily was a 1963 Falcon so that should help with perspective. On a side note, the first thing we did after the XR7 was back on the road was race, and the Falcon destroyed the XR7. lol

Thing that sticks out for me is that there were literally years and years when I couldn't do a single mod to the car because time and money didn't allow. It was incredibly frustrating and I don't know that there are any virtues to be gained from the experience. It just was what it was. I'm glad I didn't ditch it all those times when i nearly did. I'm sure I would have been fine modding something else or not at all even, but here I am still modding these things and its has been a good experience all in all. At this point I know I'll be driving these forever, but it's not a resignation or utopia, it just is what it is and I'm good with that.
    Last edited by XR7 Dave; 09-30-2017 at 09:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Ya thats why i tape mine down. People think its bc i dont have a moonroof seal (which is true) but its really to keep my roof from ripping off .
    Email me here.

Not that I have a ton of time between work, home and family but I wish the Boston community was more active .... or active at all should I say. I'd always be willing to entertain some discussion on a get together or meeting at a show. I'm not depressed about my car even though I only put about 500 miles a year on it but it would be nice to meet some people with as bad taste in cars as me. The shootout just isn't in the cards for me.
    1989 XR7 5-SPD - 15,700 miles - Garage Queen

Quote Originally Posted by ricardoa1 View Post
    That's a subjective statement, if it's in your budget by all means. I used to think like that, now it's college for the kids, good retirement and keeping my head above water, for the average sc owner they are probably are just starting at life. So I would advice to be a little wiser with their car addiction.
    Yeah Kind of but if you work at it like I do not really. I dont use any of my income on this car Ricardoa. I only use bonus money expense money etc. I realize how blessed I am and thank God for it everyday. I could have easily just went out and bought a black on black GT500 or super snake but here I am building MY 25 year old car right along with the rest of you. I was in the same place alot of you were back in 2002 or so when I bought my first sc I could barely afford to put 93 octane in it but I loved that car and it is why this car exists. As my girls get older I know life's priorities are going to change which is why I personally have been on the timeline I have with this car. I dont really know what im going to do with myself when I get the car the way I want it lol scary to even think of all the spare time I will have to do things with family and friends. I appreciate what you've done with your cars Ricardoe they are an inspiration to alot of us my friend!
    MEMBER #2488 best rwhp 504 485 torque
    2016 shootout Best of show award
    2015 Carlisle Best of show modified, 1st place 92 93 SC and Celebrity's choice award winner.
    2014 Shootout Best of show 1st award winner
    2014 Comp cams VIP Car craft street machine nationals
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage.p...e_view&id=7152

Quote Originally Posted by davec73 View Post
    Yeah Kind of but if you work at it like I do not really. I dont use any of my income on this car Ricardoa. I only use bonus money expense money etc. I realize how blessed I am and thank God for it everyday. I could have easily just went out and bought a black on black GT500 or super snake but here I am building MY 25 year old car right along with the rest of you. I was in the same place alot of you were back in 2002 or so when I bought my first sc I could barely afford to put 93 octane in it but I loved that car and it is why this car exists. As my girls get older I know life's priorities are going to change which is why I personally have been on the timeline I have with this car. I dont really know what im going to do with myself when I get the car the way I want it lol scary to even think of all the spare time I will have to do things with family and friends. I appreciate what you've done with your cars Ricardoe they are an inspiration to alot of us my friend!
    Yeah I guess the time line has passed for me but somehow We all need to keep wrenching it seems. This was my goal to finish the blue car and the mustang before the baby arrival. So I can just enjoy and not think too much about wanting to go faster set expectations right and spend time with my kids and my new family. all in all I feel blessed myself but other times I fall into the give me a break life.

Just put the kids down to sleep time to go measure drive line angles last night was alarm ripping. And I wish I had done it sooner the starter sounds more powerful and have not experienced, after 10 cranks, the dreaded click of the solenoid but no engagement of the starter. Been chasing for a solution to that for years, I hope I never have starting problems ever again.
    1994 Supercoupe 5spd Custom, first to buy a 2.1L Big Bore Kenne Bell Twin Screw for an SC
    Old numbers on 1.7l AR SC: 415WHP off the bottle-12.2535 @112.18 off the bottle. Best TQ to date 516ft/lbs, New numbers 480whp on dream crusher.
    1990 35th 5spd 2011 Carlisle 1st place class winner. 12.9@108MPH 1.9
    2013 GT/CS 5.0L FRPP 2.3l Whipplecharged family weekend car
    2005 SAAB 9-3 Aero 2.0L TURBO Work Mule

Yeah I guess the time line has passed for me but somehow We all need to keep wrenching it seems. This was my goal to finish the blue car and the mustang before the baby arrival. So I can just enjoy and not think too much about wanting to go faster set expectations right and spend time with my kids and my new family. all in all I feel blessed myself but other times I fall into the give me a break life.

Just put the kids down to sleep time to go measure drive line angles last night was alarm ripping. And I wish I had done it sooner the starter sounds more powerful and have not experienced, after 10 cranks, the dreaded click of the solenoid but no engagement of the starter. Been chasing for a solution to that for years, I hope I never have starting problems ever again.
    That's awesome! I generally do 90% off the stuff i do once my girls are all to bed as well that way its quiet and I'm not taking time for my stuff away from them. tonight's task is wiring the n2mb box then test it tomorrow lol
    2015 Carlisle Best of show modified, 1st place 92 93 SC and Celebrity's choice award winner.

Took some McGuire's interior cleaner over yesterday to see if that did anything to the sticky bags and the answer is no. It's almost like a glazed donut feel and texture on the 2 spares I have.

Sorry boss.

-Tim
    Current Collection
    1994 Thunderbird SC - Auto converted to 5spd

1995 Thunderbird SC - Auto

1994 Thunderbird SC - 5spd
    1989 Thunderbird SC - 5spd - Daily Driver
    1990 Thunder/Cougar XR7 - 5spd
    1994 Thunderbird SC - 3v Project

Thats ok I have bigger problems now.

I was trying to fix the vibes by doing all this drivetrain angle junk and one of the shaft was vibrating baddly. I spent all day between kids and working remotely or pretending to work for my job. Put a better axle shaft and the vibes are still there, so carrier side bearings might be shot. I dont have a spare, the annie one is in pieces and its a 2.73 this was my only 3.27 and the 3.08 is also in pieces I also ran out of time three full days of work ahead. So the trip is now in jeapordy. Its not meant to be. I could drive if i keep it under 60 but that wont fix me when I arrive no parts and this shaft will probably get damaged aswell. Im tapped out, going to sleep it the sore off.
    Last edited by ricardoa1; 10-02-2017 at 11:44 PM.

Thats ok I have bigger problems now.

I was trying to fix the vibes by doing all this drivetrain angle junk and one of the shaft was vibrating baddly. I spent all day between kids and working remotely or pretending to work for my job. Put a better axle shaft and the vibes are still there, so carrier side bearings might be shot. I dont have a spare, the annie one is in pieces and its a 2.73 this was my only 3.27 and the 3.08 is also in pieces I also ran out of time three full days of work ahead. So the trip is now in jeapordy. Its not meant to be. I could drive if i keep it under 60 but that wont fix me when I arrive no parts and this shaft will probably get damaged aswell. Im tapped out, going to sleep it the sore off.
    all you have to do is remove the ring gear from the anny dif and blue. use the center section with th the ring gear out of the blue car.

I'd replace the axle bearing in the one side before I went pulling the whole case out.
    ~Chris
    SCCoA Member #1826
    Bettie Riding jack stands
    SCARlet on drag duty now

Quote Originally Posted by BLOWN38 View Post
    I'd replace the axle bearing in the one side before I went pulling the whole case out.
    Good idea chris. That may be the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by BLOWN38 View Post
    Itís all back together, the only plan right now is to drive it down and hope for the best I donít have time to tear into it this week. Maybe assess the damage with 20plus SC gear heads, Iíll bring parts to put together a third member, I donít remember what I have. and maybe will need some peeps to maybe turn a wrench or two.

Unless someone has one ready to go that I can purchase 3.27
    1994 Supercoupe 5spd Custom, first to buy a 2.1L Big Bore Kenne Bell Twin Screw for an SC
    Old numbers on 1.7l AR SC: 415WHP off the bottle-12.2535 @112.18 off the bottle. Best TQ to date 516ft/lbs, New numbers 480whp on dream crusher.

What day are you heading down? If you want to stop by my shop in NJ maybe on Thursday, we can put the car on the lift and track down the vibrations, and if it is the diff, I have a known good 3.27TL in a 97 Bird I can swap it out for.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
    What day are you heading down? If you want to stop by my shop in NJ maybe on Thursday, we can put the car on the lift and track down the vibrations, and if it is the diff, I have a known good 3.27TL in a 97 Bird I can swap it out for.
    Sent you a PM

Sent you a PM
    Hells yeah!