Support group

Really it just sounds like you have a list of items to tackle. Get it right, get it to where it's enjoyable to drive, then don't screw with it and just enjoy the thing. Like Kurt, I really haven't changed mine in a decade, but I absolutely love the car. Driving it a few times a week is key to maintaining that feeling. Bigger events are icing on the cake.

Ricardo,

Everyone with a lot done to their 25 year old SC has the same feelings from time to time. If not for attending meets like the Shootout and doing car stuff like Power Tour with the other SC/XR7 guys in the area my car would probably never come out of the garage. I also hear what you are saying about the feel of driving it not being any fun if it vibrates, bounces and drones while you are dripping in sweat. Generally speaking, the idea of driving a car with all those cool go-fast mods you imagine having is always better than the real life experience.

After removing subframe connectors and switching to a Denny's driveshaft most of the road noise and vibrations were gone. Having a new set of shocks installed also made a huge improvement in the ride. Treating myself to a new headunit with USB and Bluetooth along with some fresh speakers made long drives much more pleasant. If I had a less slippy converter and functional AC I would drive it a lot more often. I've pretty much fixed all the little nagging stuff like upgrading the LC1 wideband that overheated and constantly stopped working for a newer model that is rock solid. My car has been tuned to death and is probably as good as it's going to get, now if I could just figure out how to keep it working right instead of slowly drifting to being too rich or too lean.

I still sit on a lot of spare parts like jackshaft accessory brackets, ABS motor & pump, accumulator, spare alternators, polished underdrives ect... Just because I think I will eventually need them if I keep the car. Don't plan to ever get rid of my white SC, but don't enjoy driving it anywhere near as much as the 14 GT500 or the 16 Challenger Hellcat. It's still fun to get out once in a while and cruise around in. I also think it still looks great for it's age.

Just try enjoying the car for what it is, instead of comparing it to a modern muscle car.

David
One of next tears mods for me is an aftermarket ac heat system from vintage air

Really it just sounds like you have a list of items to tackle. Get it right, get it to where it's enjoyable to drive, then don't screw with it and just enjoy the thing. Like Kurt, I really haven't changed mine in a decade, but I absolutely love the car. Driving it a few times a week is key to maintaining that feeling. Bigger events are icing on the cake.

If time and money are not a variable I could deal. I think I want to go backwards with the car on some of the suspension suspension items and put rubber back. I just thought I was done with the car when I got it back and realized the list got bigger not smaller.

Ricardo,

As many have said it sounds like you want a 25 year old car to compete with a modern brand new factory built car. It is very frustrating that your anticipated goals weren't achieved. Take it from someone who has bought, built, sold, bought, built, sold, bought, built sold on several occasions that it isn't easy. To achieve a pristine, looking, riding, performing and beautiful car takes out right sickening dedication and lots of time. Seriously lots of time, the upkeep alone for an SC would make anyone go crazy.

My very first 35th SC was my baby. When it was totaled by being rear ended I was seriously upset. It was actually my daily driver and I enjoyed every minute of that car. It was a steep learning curve with the SC and being in my mid 20's (wow I am seriously old now) I was eager without anything in the way to achieve my goals. I built 3 engines for that car. 3 different transmissions. Wade Embry rebuilt my supercharger nearly monthly. I look back and think you poor poor silly kid. Would I change any of it....HELL NO. I have made and continue to make my VERY BESTEST friends as a result of the SC. David & Kathy Neibert, Kurt & Jennifer Kreisz, Tony & Rose Serno, Kurt Sunday, Rod Maxsmovich Jr & Sr, Kelly Simons, David Dalke and family, John Vaniscycle and family, David Clark, Jacob Royer, Sally Thornsberry, Dan Thorsberry and family, Randy Hunerkoch, Matt Haub and family. Seriously the list goes one and on. When I was really running my first SCs hard prior to the first shootout I bet David Neibert and I wrenched on each other's cars nearly every weekend. So your list of little bits to correct on your car are seriously minimal in the grand sceam of things. It's going to take you the extra detail mindedness to finish it to your level of acceptance.

Most everyone knows my history of building my first 35th totaling it then transplanting it to the 1993. I absolutely hated what I did to the 93. (Added a cage). It is really the main reason I sold that car among other personal financial issues at the time. Then later when I was capable I bought a 1995 5spd. I turned it into a turbo, NON-AC, C4 trans brake car, that ran mid 10s on IRS and drag radials. That car wasn't what I anticipated the outcome to be. Yes it was fast and interesting BUT I turned what I really wanted into a track dedicated car. So I sold it and rebooted my ultimate goals. I am literally on my 5th build. My current 35th had very specific goals in mind. I listed them and stuck to them. To this day I haven't achieved what I believe is the original goal set. For example, I had delrin bushings, hated them removed them and went partial poly and stock. I had addco front rear sway bars. Hated them removed them and back to stock. I'm on my second set of pistons and rings. The motor has been apart 3 times since that build. The intercooler has been revamped 4 times. I'm not kidding 4 times. Guess what I don't even have one at all now straight methanol. Someone has already said it the car is never really done. Just upgraded from time to time. Since you listed some gripes on your car here is my current list.

Passenger window goes down really slow.
Driver door has a rattle inside. (I have searched and searched)
My rear main seal has a small leak (~~~~ to change.)
My AC while it works barely keeps up in south Florida.
My Pass headlight fogs up on the inside.
I have a driveline vibration that I cannot locate. Nothing terrible but I know its there.
Exhaust is WAY WAY too loud.
My 5 year old paint job has chips everywhere.
I have trim that needs touched up on the inside.
Somehow I have a scratch in the paint on my truck deck lid.
The car still wont run 11.5. Closest I have achieved is 11.8
I seriously hate the way the transmission shifts. Needs reprogrammed. Would take a day or so with help.
Car needs a serious under hood detail.
My K-member has dents, creases, from a pulley flying off.
My in-tank pump doesn't push the fuel it should for some reason so a boost a pump was added.
The list never ends.

Ohh and my current 35th has been on 3 different trailers going home from various events. Never fun, always embarrassing, and then the dreaded rebuild revamp. I even put it in TIME-OUT I was so pissed for over 9 months.

Most know I recently relocated to South Florida. I had to move the SC to Florida. I could of shipped it could of towed it but instead I drove it. 1900 miles. For the most part I had a great drive. My only issue was the AC wasn't charged before I went. I got 19MPG and even found some of the issues I had been searching to repair. That drive alone really made me appreciate the SC again. It's a big luxury/sport car. Every time I stopped for gas I got at least 2-3 compliments and questions on what is that. Every time I drive it here in S FL I get compliments. That alone is worth keeping it to me. When hurricane IRMA came my daily was sitting in an airport Parking lot. Guess what me and the WIFE drove it all over town getting the supplies we needed before the hurricane hit. I got 3-4 compliments that day.

Most of us build the SC because we WANT something different. We DON'T want to follow the mustang crowd. We pride ourselves in being maybe slightly off kilter doing something different. It's much more of a challenge that just buying some parts off the shelf. I have always prided myself in trying something different. Now I'm just stepping back and enjoying what I have and tackling the little things one by one when I have time.

Don't' give up we're are all here to help.

Cheers,
Chris

Last edited:
You know it has to be the case for almost everyone - but the cars that are clean, have a nice paint job, fast, etc...I always used to assume that everything worked on them (power windows, A/C - if so equipped, etc).

Makes me feel a little better about the mechanical condition of my car, knowing you guys struggle too. Believe it or not, mine drives and rides ALOT better than it looks...lol!

Ricardo,

Cheers,
Chris

Thank you Chris, you are definitely one of the few that didn't coast right by, although you probably had better resources and skills than me. I appreciate putting things into perspective. And it does help hearing from others and similar situations, cause from pictures (FB etc) it seem everyone is having a good old time and cars look nice and shiny and complete. At the same time, I feel bad for all of us and a little dumb that we are subject to this abuse, and it defies logic that chose to accept it. You guys call it 25YO car, but to me the care is 19 Years YO since I parked it 6-7 years ago after taking off the Auto rotor and dealt with life hitting me in the face with a divorce a few years after. Now my life is stupid busy working day and night trying to maintain two households, thank you Massachusetts for terrible laws that don't protect the dads, time and money are not what it was like. I get weekends to enjoy the fun cars or the few days off here. The mustang has spoiled me, but that was my life saver when I felt down, it was my escape. I used the equity from the sell of broken home, to reclaim my independence and boost my ego and also to show the kids that dad was ok. I built many memories in the mustang and had just as much fund as when I had the SC up and running, Best of all I didn't have to get my fingers dirty, I simply asked the kids if they wanted to get Ice Cream and off we went. I bought the supercharger kit for it and sat on it for two years because I could not find the time or money to gather the final parts, but with some motivation and extra hours I did it. I still have not tracked it or gotten a dyno for it, but I really don't care, its pointless to do so there is no recognition for it, but I am satisfied to just feel the power and speed and I know I can likely keep up with hellcats and all the new Detroit junk, this is what the SC in its time strived to do, the under dog/sleeper against the new stuff.

I never did forget about the blue car it was always in my mind and this roller 35th that is taking up space in the garage is in my mind as well. And I guess I built this high expectation for the car looking at pictures, awards and seeing you guys have a gay old time, and after spending some time one it I realized it doesn't fit the lifestyle I have now, if its going to constantly be having issues and the ride wont be enjoyable. Now I am stuck with too many cars that I emotionally cannot see my self letting go but have little room to be in my life, I only have one butt after all.

I could put an ad to buy parts and fix what I needs addressed but its to much to right for me I need to step back and think it through.
I want 89 sway bars, rubber motor mounts, rubber carrier bushings even want to get rid of the Tube K-member the I would be happy with a semi factory riding car that runs 12 vs a big stiff block that dips into the 11s
But I might have regrets I am conflicted. :(

You know it has to be the case for almost everyone - but the cars that are clean, have a nice paint job, fast, etc...I always used to assume that everything worked on them (power windows, A/C - if so equipped, etc).

Makes me feel a little better about the mechanical condition of my car, knowing you guys struggle too. Believe it or not, mine drives and rides ALOT better than it looks...lol!

Haha trued that I just posted and beat me to it.

And to be completely honest Im still not happy with everything. But I am really happy that I have something different from the normal. Even SC normal.

here is what I did and it works...

Back in 1990 I got my first S.C. and have kept it stock, right down to the air system. I drive that car during the summer months and it is a blast to drive. In 1991 I picked up another car a 35th that was for playing with.. I did a lot of the things everyone else did and was not happy with the small pick up, so I went to the dark side... I dropped in a big block and started to make it crazy.I found out that you had to make other changes with the car and I did them. The car became a bit of a pain to drive when it got hot out side. Then I ran into orther things that we all do and one by one I worked thru them.
BUT the fun part of this is I always had that stocker to drive around.. it is fast, but not too fast. It does get good gas mileage, but will not beat a gt mustang...bummer. The air works fine but again it is a stocker..
Now it is the best of both worlds.... I got a stocker to drive as an everyday car, but if I want to go fast I just grab the other car... So you could say I can have my cake and eat it as well.. Life is always filled with choices and what we make from those choices is what makes each of us the same or different....
Good luck with your issues and you will be fine... Keep the S.C. for a fun car and drive something else for the daily duty that we all need....Rich

Hahaha, all these posts of make sure you drive the car once in a while. The SC has been my daily driver for the past 7+ years, had it in the snow every winter. Thank God it is bone stock. I don't think I'm officially in anyone's "support group" but I can say the more you drive it, the less you notice the "problems" it has.

I drove my wife's 2010 escape off into the uintas to backpack in and climb some 13,000 foot peaks for a weeklong getaway one summer. That Monday when I got back into the SC to drive it to work I noticed a crazy punchy accelerator pedal, awful road noise, vibrations, underhood heat, blah, blah, blah. A week later of daily driving, all I noticed was the crazy punchy accelerator feel and a smile on my face.

It also helps when it is your daily driver because, you have a weekend to put on any parts you want for maintenance, and then it MUST be back on the road. Another perk of the daily-driver member's-benefits package.

Funny thing is I really don't have anything to add/say about the car/cars specifically. Except maybe refer to a study done recently about vacations - they say that the longer you plan for a vacation, regardless of how the actual vacation turns out - the more psychological benefits you get from it. What I get from that is that it's more important that you have fun working towards accomplishing something than actually accomplishing anything. In the same line of thinking, if you hate the planning stage (I call that working on the problems) then the end result will never be worth it. My junk never works right. But I can't stop doing it.

...... What I get from that is that it's more important that you have fun working towards accomplishing something than actually accomplishing anything. In the same line of thinking, if you hate the planning stage (I call that working on the problems) then the end result will never be worth it. My junk never works right. But I can't stop doing it.

I am with Dave - The planning stage is what keeps it fun and in the realm of things possible. As a retired Army Soldier, I can tell you that we lived to Plan! Even when we know the Plans usually do not survive first contact. But once you stop dreaming (planning) what else is there?

Surely this affects the more seasoned types among us, and that common-sense does not prevail here, LOL.

As a 27-year long "carrier of the SC pathogen" (half of my life now!!), I am dumbfounded as to why I enjoy driving the SCs more than my '11 GT500 in my garage or my other more modern vehicles? I can't explain it but instead of counting sheep to fall asleep at night....I just think about work and modifications to restore / modify the current flock of SCs until asleep. Hence, I must be 'infected' and ....I can't stop doing it.

Like others here, my first SC was delivered to me 27 years ago today (9/21/1990) and it still refuses to quit on me or me on it. It has never broken down and it has had its share of flogging and is still running strong. It only has 142K on it but I am sure it will go to 250 to 300K. The others in the flock will continue to evolve and be complete before I turn 60. Now that I have the time, that's the Plan: LMFAO.

Hey, I am sure we can retake this 'Philosophical / Psychological' topic over adult beverages at this year's Shootout - my SC brother, Kurt Sunday will Moderate!!

Best and keep the flame alive....

I enjoy driving mine because I built it with my own hands and imagination and like Captain Wise said the looks are worth all that hard work. I have never taken this car out for a drive and not gotten a compliment. It's not ordinary it has mystery squeaks and noises that make the car feel alive, like it's a part of you. When I am done with the next big thing I plan for more things to improve. My car has all the harsh upgrades and then some in the drive line and finally I love the way my car Drives and rides. I had alot of trouble getting the AJE subframe all lined out but man I love it now. The Qa1 coilovers also added comfort as well as performance to the stiff somewhat comfortable ride I had before. I remember 8 or nine years ago thinking about how cool it would be to have a 500 hp t56 sc and now it's a reality lol. My next mod is one you will appreciate, a vintage air system lmao.

Not sure if it's just me or Dalke is drunk but I can't seem to relate to the analogy. I applaud you guys that love wrenching and planning and building and fabricating. But I'm a driver, if I had it my way I'd have a pit crew. My car was built in the era of group buys, experimental research and forum mod list signatures. It didn't matter what the mod did as long as it was put in the signature it was cool.

Clark I see a little bit of the young me in you, silly to say, cause you are probably older than me not sure. I guess I just wanted to stop spending money on it for a bit and actually drive and have fun with it. Guess I'll just turn up the music louder.

Obviously a car that is always having issues is no fun, but with an SC, especially a heavily modified one, if you don't enjoy working on the car, you need to either write some big checks, or find something else. With as much easy drivable reliable power as you can make with the newer motors, the SC is more of an underdog than it ever was, but it is still a great power plant, and a great chassis. I'm not going to say go back to stock, but these days, you have to abandon the hope of being the fastest car on the road, and enjoy the car for what it is. That being said, personally I would rather daily drive a 300hp SC than a 500hp new Mustang. New cars are so entrenched with technology, that I feel like more of a passenger as the computer drives the car and the drive by wire tries to interpret what it thinks I mean by my throttle inputs.

As for your particular situation, my advice at this point would be drive the car to work every Friday for a few weeks in a row, and each weekend fix one thing that pissed you off on the ride home Friday evening. I think a lot on your list could be dealt with or mitigated with some time and minimal money. Re-route the clutch line away from the exhaust. Get some lock-tite on those bolts that keep loosening up. Mess with different springs on the throttle to get the feel right. Some hush-mat or something like that will help keep the noise and heat out of the cabin, and some elbow grease and rattle-can paint can do wonders for faded or peeling under hood components. I honestly think 3 of 4 weekends and $250 will go a long way toward making the car more enjoyable on the street without sacrificing speed or handling. It won't be perfect, but it should be enough to get your spirits back about the car.

My car was built in the era of group buys, experimental research and forum mod list signatures. It didn't matter what the mod did as long as it was put in the signature it was cool.

I was just thinking the same the other day when I dug up your thread from 2010 when we both went to bigger fuel lines, the club as a whole is dying off from the prime days of pre 2012.

Not sure if it's just me or Dalke is drunk but I can't seem to relate to the analogy. I applaud you guys that love wrenching and planning and building and fabricating. But I'm a driver, if I had it my way I'd have a pit crew. My car was built in the era of group buys, experimental research and forum mod list signatures. It didn't matter what the mod did as long as it was put in the signature it was cool.
You remind me a lot of Bill McNeil. That's a good thing, just saying you remind me of him. It also means that your viewpoint isn't weird, just different. I have to try to remind myself often that other people see things differently. Sounds like to me you'd have more fun in a stock(ish) SC with a lot of power. I hate the thought that you may have to reverse a lot of your mods to get something you like, but I think that might be the answer. Forget about wheel hop, it's a lot easier to control when you have a lot of power.

I think most have contemplated selling the car (or burning it) at some point. You have to get to where you're content with the car, within reason, I mean decent power, looks ok, rides well, and then enjoy the car for what it is, knowing that it will always have some minor stuff that needs attention. Sucks that you made all those mods and not happy with the way they turned out.

Over the last few years I have been happy with the car and actually enjoy just driving it. I get together with the boys and cruise quite often, it runs well and power is decent as long as you accept that their will always be someone with a faster better looking car.

Thank you guys, this car is relentless at destroying my spirits for it.

Worked on the paint of the car for two days. Exited about it I booked the shootout reservations and renewed my membership. Fist blow, all hotels in the area are sold out. But no biggie let's wait a few days maybe there will be cancellations. Meanwhile after all the hard work I promissed the my lady to go for a walk at the beach with the baby. Exited to drive in the all shinny SC I decidesd to take it to get us there, made it out 20 mins and car stalls not sure if from idle settings still being off or if power was killed by and electrical short or over heat. Well Tried cranking while coasting and nothing from the starter, no click nothing. I am all to familiar with this car stalling so I pulled from traffic into a gas station, and coast to a stop. Try again lights go on but no start, funny noises from the ignition switches and I quit trying. After a moment of silence from my lady and I called family and friends for help. Middle of the a getto neighborhood none the less. Got props from a drunk guy that used to have an LX and some guy in an a rust bucket maxima with an exhaust. We waited for about an hour decided to try again. And hold and behold the damn car starts. But something happened to the parking/cluster lights, checked fuses under the dash and they were not blown. Now it's an unsolved mystery. The car started that's the priority I drove home with no lights except for the headlights. Parked it and covered it. I don't know what to say, the starter or the ignition switch is acting up. Not sure if the heat from the headers toasted my 10th starter motor. I have lifetime warranty but can't remember what store I bought it from.

Anyhow not sure if it's smart taking the car 3000 miles To the shootout. Forget asking my lady if she will be going.

Back