Thread: FMIC help

FMIC help

Okay, I have a 1993 thunderbird sc and it has some basic mods, but I am wanting to fab up a FMIC. I can get my hands on one for cheap, but what size, what size hoses, couplers, hoses, bolts, mounts, etc, please let me know!

Your not gonna have much luck here. You need to make your post on the tech forum, or parts needed. If you look at parts for sale I know there is one for sale with several other items on the first page.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMADNESS View Post
    Okay, I have a 1993 thunderbird sc and it has some basic mods, but I am wanting to fab up a FMIC. I can get my hands on one for cheap, but what size, what size hoses, couplers, hoses, bolts, mounts, etc, please let me know!

Well I built one for my anniversary, Homemade reusing the stock piples.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111950
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showpost...1&postcount=14
    Last edited by ricardoa1; 03-10-2011 at 06:10 PM.
    1994 Supercoupe 5spd Custom, first to buy a 2.1L Big Bore Kenne Bell Twin Screw for an SC
    Old numbers on 1.7l AR SC: 415WHP off the bottle-12.2535 @112.18 off the bottle. Best TQ to date 516ft/lbs, New numbers 480whp on dream crusher.
    1990 35th 5spd 2011 Carlisle 1st place class winner. 12.9@108MPH 1.9
    2013 GT/CS 5.0L FRPP 2.3l Whipplecharged family weekend car
    2005 SAAB 9-3 Aero 2.0L TURBO Work Mule

if you're going to do a fmic make it worh while. get the biggest intercooler that can fit between your frame rails. mine is 32"wide x 4" thick x 19" tall, 3" inlet and outlet piping. re-route your return pipe away from the exhaust and get a raised sc top, or a front exit top. that will keep your boost down to ambient temps or maybe 10* above ambient. my temps never got above 90* in florida.

Quote Originally Posted by fasterthanyou View Post
    if you're going to do a fmic make it worh while. get the biggest intercooler that can fit between your frame rails. mine is 32"wide x 4" thick x 19" tall, 3" inlet and outlet piping. re-route your return pipe away from the exhaust and get a raised sc top, or a front exit top. that will keep your boost down to ambient temps or maybe 10* above ambient. my temps never got above 90* in florida.
    But how does your A/C perform with that big of IC core? I think it is possible to have both a big fmic and working A/C, but a lot of the cars with fmic's have issues with running the A/C on hot days....just something for the original poster to think about
    Kurt K (e-mail)
    SCCoA Member #: 443
    '92 SC AOD -- 11.521s @ 116.748mph, 2.0 AR power
    . . . . . . . . . -- 13.547s @ 101.01 mph, only w/ bolt-ons
    '95 SC 5spd -- All Stock, except 17" Simmons wheels.
    '90 SC 35th Anny 5spd -- 3rd owner, 16k miles
    2 '89 XR7 5spd's -- on their way out, really!

Quote Originally Posted by fasterthanyou View Post
    Running the biggest is not necessarily the the best way to do it. A 24"X3"X12" core is more than adequate for 99% of the SC's out there, without having large pressure drops causing back pressure on the blower, which running too big of a core will cause.

Your temperature may be fine, but you need to measure the pressure drop, and I bet you'll find you are losing air flow, and can gain some ponies back by sizing the IC properly to your setup.

In regards to this setup.... I wouldn't bother going to a FMIC and just run a DIC from kwagner, and run an alky kit, which you should run anyway even with an FMIC.

Fraser

Quote Originally Posted by fturner View Post
    Running the biggest is not necessarily the the best way to do it. A 24"X3"X12" core is more than adequate for 99% of the SC's out there, without having large pressure drops causing back pressure on the blower, which running too big of a core will cause.

Your temperature may be fine, but you need to measure the pressure drop, and I bet you'll find you are losing air flow, and can gain some ponies back by sizing the IC properly to your setup.

In regards to this setup.... I wouldn't bother going to a FMIC and just run a DIC from kwagner, and run an alky kit, which you should run anyway even with an FMIC.

Fraser
    I never measured pressure drop, to be honest I drove the car for about a month before I pulled the drivetrain. What do you mean by back pressure on the blower? If anything the large intercooler would help relieve back pressure compared to the stock intercooler. also, isn't pressure drop a good thing on an intercooler? high temps and high pressure going in, then as it cools the air, its less hot which leads to lower pressure?

you know what..I won't even go there. I've read dozens of FMIC threads where things get technical and drawn out about which intercooler is best. I've watched videos on youtube about the theory and physics of intercoolers, flow charts, etc..

I enjoy the set up on the Anniversary, great A/C with a shorter condenser, YOu can build a whole piping system but for my purpose the IC was very good, car felt powerfull and I did not have issues. MPX with 10% OD got about 16PSI on a build engine with a mild cam.
    NO alky was used.
    1994 Supercoupe 5spd Custom, first to buy a 2.1L Big Bore Kenne Bell Twin Screw for an SC
    Old numbers on 1.7l AR SC: 415WHP off the bottle-12.2535 @112.18 off the bottle. Best TQ to date 516ft/lbs, New numbers 480whp on dream crusher.
    1990 35th 5spd 2011 Carlisle 1st place class winner. 12.9@108MPH 1.9
    2013 GT/CS 5.0L FRPP 2.3l Whipplecharged family weekend car
    2005 SAAB 9-3 Aero 2.0L TURBO Work Mule

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt K View Post
    But how does your A/C perform with that big of IC core? I think it is possible to have both a big fmic and working A/C, but a lot of the cars with fmic's have issues with running the A/C on hot days....just something for the original poster to think about

31x12x4 fits without hacking anything up. I run ac and a stock radiator no issues whatsoever. 2.75" piping
    93 SC Red Auto 111k
    2013 Shootout Bracket ET First Place
    2015 Shootout Car Show Honerable Mention
    2016 Shootout Mod-1 First Place
    4.2, 2.3 Whipple, 3.73s AOD
    307rwhp 12.70@107.2 (MPX)
    395rwhp Whipple 11.741@117.5mph