Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Derek's Project GFP

Quote Originally Posted by dthompson View Post
    The acc brackets came from a 95 mustang 5.0
    So, if you're using a Fox water pump and crank pulley then you're going to run into some alignment issues with that bracket. Of course, if you're using a Fox water pump and crank pulley then you're also going to have fun getting a radiator and fan in there too unless you plan on putting the radiator in front of the core support.

Quote Originally Posted by MaddMartigan93 View Post
    So, if you're using a Fox water pump and crank pulley then you're going to run into some alignment issues with that bracket. Of course, if you're using a Fox water pump and crank pulley then you're also going to have fun getting a radiator and fan in there too unless you plan on putting the radiator in front of the core support.
    A 95 mustang is not a fox, its a SN95. Both accessory brackets, crank pulley, water pump, and alternator are from/for a 95 mustang, so they all match. The timing cover is from Jegs, but fits a 95 mustang. Im currently searching for a water pump pulley, but will find one that matches the 95 mustang. The water pump pulley came with the 5.8, but I had to open up the center hole to fit the mustang water pump. The harmonic balancer is the monkey wrench in the combination. I purchased a Power Bond PB1082SS. This is one of two PB balancers that they make for the 351w (28oz) that is SFI approved. This balancer does not space the 95 mustang crank pulley out far enough. Ford Performance Parts makes a M-8510-B351 crank pulley spacer. My plan is to purchase this spacer and then machine it to the correct thickness to allow the crank pulley to line up with the other pulleys. But Im waiting to get the power steering pulley first to make life easier to measure.

I posted pictures of the radiator and fan set up that I am going to use already (on page 4 of this thread). From the pictures you can see that it clears the water pump snout, which is the closest interference. What I have not posted on this radiator set up is the fan controller and overflow reservoir. But there is plenty of room to tuck that stuff in somewhere on the driver's front side.
    Any idiot can make a Mustang fast...
    It takes a special idiot to make a Thunderbird fast!!!
    89 SC 4.3 stroker 384rwhp 473ftlbs
    Best ET 13.085 Best MPH 106.6... got some work to do!
    2016 V6 M90 Dyno Champ 2016 Mod 1 Runner Up

A 95 mustang is not a fox, its a SN95. Both accessory brackets, crank pulley, water pump, and alternator are from/for a 95 mustang, so they all match. The timing cover is from Jegs, but fits a 95 mustang. Im currently searching for a water pump pulley, but will find one that matches the 95 mustang. The water pump pulley came with the 5.8, but I had to open up the center hole to fit the mustang water pump. The harmonic balancer is the monkey wrench in the combination. I purchased a Power Bond PB1082SS. This is one of two PB balancers that they make for the 351w (28oz) that is SFI approved. This balancer does not space the 95 mustang crank pulley out far enough. Ford Performance Parts makes a M-8510-B351 crank pulley spacer. My plan is to purchase this spacer and then machine it to the correct thickness to allow the crank pulley to line up with the other pulleys. But Im waiting to get the power steering pulley first to make life easier to measure.

I posted pictures of the radiator and fan set up that I am going to use already (on page 4 of this thread). From the pictures you can see that it clears the water pump snout, which is the closest interference. What I have not posted on this radiator set up is the fan controller and overflow reservoir. But there is plenty of room to tuck that stuff in somewhere on the driver's front side.
    OK, cool. The pictures with the water pump on seemed to look like the long neck water pump instead of the short neck pump so that's why I was asking. I went through most of these things with my setup so that's I was looking at it.

I recently changed my balancer and I went with the Professional Products SFI balancer which required a spacer and they make one of those that is correct for our application as well.

Here is the one I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Keep in mind that the picture is not accurate. The part I received is machined aluminum and is a very nice part. I'm not sure if that would work for your balancer or not though.

I wanted to document this in case there are some other gluttons out there wanting to try this swap. Trickflow makes a pretty nice elbow adapter for the throttle body for 94-95 mustangs (SN95 5.0). Its reasonably priced and does a nice job of rotating and lowering the throttle body to a more desirable position. What is not so obvious is that the trickflow intake has the fox throttle body bolt spacing, which is not the same as the SN95 5.0 bolt spacing. So the elbow has the fox bolt pattern on the intake side, and the SN95 bolt pattern on the throttle body side. I found this out the hard way, as the original fox throttle body that I bought did not fit the elbow. From what I can tell the IAC and TPS sensors are all compatible, so its just a matter of matching the throttle body to the elbow.

Name:  throttle body.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  203.4 KB

Finally found a power steering pump/pulley from the 94-95 5.0... which is another hard lesson learned. The 94-95 mustang 5.0 power steering pump pulley is unique to those two years. I destroyed one in the yard when I pulled the brackets, because Im an idiot. I didnt realize i needed it, didnt have a puller, and didnt want to pay for the pump. So I destroyed it trying to save a few bucks... well that cost me $100. Most used part dealer yards would not sell just the pulley.

Im not sure if the 94-95 mustang brackets are the best for this swap or not. Seems like I read on TCCoA that it was preferred, but they seem to be scarce around here.

Anyways, just been doing a lot of thinking and planning trying to figure out how to route all the turbo plumbing. Hopefully Im getting close on that and will start fabbing soon.

Thumbs up

I wanted to document this in case there are some other gluttons out there wanting to try this swap. Trickflow makes a pretty nice elbow adapter for the throttle body for 94-95 mustangs (SN95 5.0). Its reasonably priced and does a nice job of rotating and lowering the throttle body to a more desirable position. What is not so obvious is that the trickflow intake has the fox throttle body bolt spacing, which is not the same as the SN95 5.0 bolt spacing. So the elbow has the fox bolt pattern on the intake side, and the SN95 bolt pattern on the throttle body side. I found this out the hard way, as the original fox throttle body that I bought did not fit the elbow. From what I can tell the IAC and TPS sensors are all compatible, so its just a matter of matching the throttle body to the elbow.

Finally found a power steering pump/pulley from the 94-95 5.0... which is another hard lesson learned. The 94-95 mustang 5.0 power steering pump pulley is unique to those two years. I destroyed one in the yard when I pulled the brackets, because Im an idiot. I didnt realize i needed it, didnt have a puller, and didnt want to pay for the pump. So I destroyed it trying to save a few bucks... well that cost me $100. Most used part dealer yards would not sell just the pulley.

Im not sure if the 94-95 mustang brackets are the best for this swap or not. Seems like I read on TCCoA that it was preferred, but they seem to be scarce around here.

Anyways, just been doing a lot of thinking and planning trying to figure out how to route all the turbo plumbing. Hopefully Im getting close on that and will start fabbing soon.
    So, yeah, unfortunately you learned the hard way on those two items. I'm sorry to hear it because I could have helped out since I had to learn the hard way pretty much too. The 91-93 MN12 5.0 also uses the same configuration as the 94-95 SN95 5.0 for the brackets, pullies and throttle body. The whole short neck water pump is what drives the whole accessory configuration. Wazee's makes a billet power steering pump pulley so it's something to keep in mind. The stock pullies are slowly becoming impossible to find too.

I think you're past the things I can help with but if you run into something else that's weird just PM me and I'll do my best to relate my experiences. If nothing else I might be able to help you avoid doing the same wrong thing I did.

It looks awesome though. I can't wait to see the finished product.

This brings back a lot of memories from my 93 SC converted to 347 turbo. You are starting to get to the part where you find that the devil is in the details.

David
    1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
    2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat...............707HP/650TQ

My Garage

Feels like I took a big step forward this weekend. I was able to get the v bands welded on the exhaust manifolds. Im new to welding (pretty much self taught by youtube and pestering folks who know how to weld with questions), so welding up to the cast iron was a little intimidating. I did a hefty pre-heat on my gas grill and wrapped the manifolds in a couple towels after welding and it seemed to do OK. It helped that I finally got a gas lens for the torch which made a world of difference for me on being able to see what I was doing. Im still waiting on a T4 to 3" vband adapter before I get too deep into the hotside,but finally feels like it is starting to come together.

Name:  exhaust v band.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  176.8 KB

Hopefully there will be more fab photos in the next couple weeks. Maybe one of these days, I will even be able to start it... looks like it is going to be June now. I talked to my cousin... we are going to try and make the shootout this year if I can get this thing finished up in time.