JBL premium sound - Contour cd player wiring help

BeerGarage

Hi

I request help wiring a Ford Contour CD player into my 1991 SC with premium sound. I installed a Contour CD player and it lights up and looks great and tunes to the next station, but there is no sound.

Mine had the tape player and no CD. I found the CD player at the JY from... I guess a 2000 Contour. I am not sure, but it was made in 1999 and looks like this:
Top is the new one, bottom is the old one.

back of same.

Wiring, before I tried to move stuff around as suggested by 35th.

Here is the 35th, which I tried by switching the big blue wire into the empty spot, and it still lights up and still no sound:

I am thinking next check the wiring at the amp. Just to see if it is all plugged in. Then .... Then take this CD back and try to find another one. I don't know.

Thank you for any insight.

My 94 SC came with the JBL system and cassette tape player. I bought a head unit with a CD player like the one you have pictured and it was plug & play but your factory head unit looks completely different than mine.

You need this

You need this jumper connector before doing anything else.
These radio's are iffy at best nowadays and no parts are available to repair them.

Attachments

• CD_plug.sized.jpg
    CD_plug.sized.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 609
Thank you.

I have the jumper. It came with the cd player. I did not know I had it when I bought it. Great.

I tested all of the voltages on the back of the radio at the power plug, pic below for your confusion.

Screenshot.table.jpg

I moved the big blue cable from pin 1 to pin 2, so it is sending 12V to the Amp Power On (Logic Mute?), just like the old radio did. This 12V is making it to the amp connection in back.

Any opinion of the reliability of the amp? Maybe the radio works and the amp does not?

Is there an easy way to check the output of the radio? I get 4V at all the pins in the square grey wrapped connector with the radio on. This 4V signal is making it to the amp connector in back.

I have an old stock tape deck. Maybe I will send that signal to the amp and see if it powers the speakers.
I do not know what signal to send to which input at the amp. LH front amp signal return? why not just one common ground for all of em? huh.

Maybe I will end up bypassing the amp, but I would like to stay stock-ish.

Thank you for any input.

You may want to pick up an EVTM for your year SC...check eBay.

And if it comes to it, note that scosche used to sell a jumper harness that bypasses the rear/sub amp - allows you to retain the stock speaker wiring between the dash connector and the speakers (minus the sub). I think the sub goes out more often than the amp.

My stock JBL system didn't work when I got the car...someone had stuffed an incompatible Ford head unit in the dash and gave up from there I think. I replaced the head unit with a flip-out LCD Jensen w/GPS, handsfree BT, SD, USB, cameras, 5.1 etc.; replaced the CD player with an Alpine ctr. speaker; upgraded the door and back speakers; removed the stock sub & amp, and added a Fosgate amp w/dual 10" subs. The only stock item left is the speaker wiring and the power antenna.

Last edited:
Thanks KMT

Sounds like you went through it with yours. I was hoping to plug and play, or nearly so. I don't want all those new fangled gadgets. I'm a grumpy old man.

JBL is making me grumpier.

I will probably go grab the amp out of the Contour and see if that will fit with the sub woofer and the rest of the crazy system.

So many things to do.

Thanks for telling me what I am probably in for.

I wired up each radio to my guitar amp and they both work. Cool.

Then I hooked up the radio to the stock amp to an old speaker. I get intermittent sound. It will play for a second or two and then cut out until I turn the radio off and back on.

So looks like back to the junk yard I go. Again. I went back last time and could not find that contour. I probably just forgot where it was. I found a lincoln with a similar amp, but no sub woofer.

Hey, anybody know where is the amp in a contour? or what other fords used the same amp with a sub woofer?

Thanks

Good morning

Not sure about Ford related subwoofers but during my salvage yard runs I have found the approx JBL amp in the following:

(1) 1989- 1995 Taurus SHO

(2) 1988- 1992 Lincoln Continental

(3) 1989- 1992 Lincoln Mark VII

(4) 1989 - 1993 Lincoln Town Cars

and of course the SVT Contour and Mystique LS option.

I sure there are other models (Explorer Limited and Mustangs comes to mind) but in the salvage yards I have not see one.

Here is an attachment with a JBL system swap in a Lincoln. http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?43959-My-JBL-Swap(In-Progress)&

Good Luck.

Thank you for the link to that thread. A lot of good (and probably some bad) information there. I need to check all the speakers, grounds, and power supply lines next. UGH.

The JY charges $40 for an amp.
the eBay charges $50 for a NOS amp.

It hurts to pay anyone $50 for anything. So

I took my amp apart. I found a burned "thing"

The interwebs say this thing is an n channel MOSFET. Here is a guy changing n channel MOSFETS in an amplifier.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGVBy_VVY28

Ordered 4 MOSFETs for $3.00. We shall see.

Thank you for the link to that thread. A lot of good (and probably some bad) information there. I need to check all the speakers, grounds, and power supply lines next. UGH.

The JY charges $40 for an amp.
the eBay charges $50 for a NOS amp.

It hurts to pay anyone $50 for anything. So

I took my amp apart. I found a burned "thing"

The interwebs say this thing is an n channel MOSFET. Here is a guy changing n channel MOSFETS in an amplifier.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGVBy_VVY28

Ordered 4 MOSFETs for $3.00. We shall see.

You DID buy the same part number MOSFET, right?

And how about a pic, but this time, leave the link to the pic, a link to the pic ... that way those of use who know electronics can see if it is a MOSFET or not.

RwP

Thank you for offering to take a look for me. I did make that sound like I had no idea.
With no doubt it is an IRFZ40, 50Volts / 50Amps N-Channel MOSFET.

I linked that video because it is funny if you watch to the END.

I soldered in that MOSFET. The amp worked! For about a minute, then cut out, now nothing.

So shoot.

Anyone have a working amp they want to sell?

Back