Suspension Renewal: 35th Anniversary Out Of Storage

rseneres

After over 10 years of being in storage, my 1990 SC is back on the road and running great! But the suspension is definitely shot in terms of absorbing or managing any shock. What is the current wisdom for the best parts to bring it back to nearly original specifications? I found some shocks and struts that would seem to work, but the information does not assure me that they will be compatible with the adjustable suspension.

P.S. If you read this and happen to have an SC that you are parting out, there is a fastener for the cruise control linkage under the hood that I need.

I would check out Super Coupe Performance. Bill has the O.E. shocks and struts in stock. He also has many other suspension parts of O.E. standards or better.

Before you take apart your suspension or complete your order for Tokicos, do yourself a favor and check out all of the rubber bits. This way, you can make one order for everything you need.

I'm a bit surprised that you found the dampeners to have blown while sitting neglected. While leaking seals are within the realm of possibility, I would also believe that the old rubber bushings are more likely to have crapped out over time (rear swaybar endlinks, upper ball joint, frame to ball front LCA, etc.)

Yes. Definitely give everything a good check. All my bushings and ball joints were bad after sitting 2+ years. I still have to replace all the rear suspension pieces.

Back