Heads?

Legion

I have a question regarding the 3.8 n/a heads vs the 3.8 SC heads.are they prone to head gasket failure like the n/a heads? I've heard they have a different cooling system with the 3.8 SC heads .is there a difference if so what it is it? :confused:

They sure do

I have a question regarding the 3.8 n/a heads vs the 3.8 SC heads.are they prone to head gasket failure like the n/a heads? I've heard they have a different cooling system with the 3.8 SC heads .is there a difference if so what it is it? :confused:

My son had a '94 T-Bird with the NA 3.8. More than 100,000 miles on the engine. Head gaskets went twice before someone hit him and totaled the car.

Eddie Donato

2 '90 Super Coupes totaled in Hurricane Irma
struggling with Progressive Insurance

I had a 93 that blew head gaskets back in the day. The side wall of the front passenger cylinder is VERY thin on that engine. I recall improperly servicing the cooling system and did not burp the system via the top bolt. Two days later I popped a gasket from what I believe was an air bubble. I replaced the gasket and sold the car (disclosing the work). So yeah - they're about as prone if you ask me.

3.8 s/c vs na

If I'm reading your post correctly, I think you are asking the difference between the 2.
From what I understand, the coolant passages of the S/C head are smaller then the N/A so that there is more gasket material between the fire ring portion of the head gskt & the coolant passage to compensate for the higher combustion temps & pressures of the S/C. I read that engineers felt that the cooler charge air coming into the heads because of the cooler compensated for the reduced coolant flow through the heads & they didn't run any hoter then N/A heads

Heads

So they are just as bad as the N/A version? I was thinking of doing a split port conversion. I have made a intake for the Eaton m90 out of aluminum but just haven't gotten around to finishing the project hea

Cyl heads

So they are just as bad as the N/A version? I was thinking of doing a split port conversion. I have made a intake for the Eaton m90 out of aluminum but just haven't gotten around to finishing the project hea

Well, with the s/c heads having more gskt material, they should be better or not as prone to blowing.
I have 5 & have never had a head gskt issue yet with any of them. Mine are all stock though & from what I understand its when you start doing performance upgrades without addressing the exhaust system first that causes head gskt issue's.
I was told that the factory system is just barely able to handle the flow without creating excessive back pressure that takes out the head gskts. When you add more boost or change the factory tune, its too much for the factory exhaust.

Heads

That's what I've been told .I have some performance headers I got from u pull and pray . I'm hoping this isn't going to be a head gasket replacer every 50k miles

You guys have been told wrong. The heads are not prone to blowing gaskets, and the exhaust system has little or nothing to do with it. Any iron block/alulminum head combination is going to have headgasket issues, and forced induction makes it worse. Most SC motors went 100K miles without headgasket issues, but in the end it's going to happen unless you use MLS headgaskets (properly) in which case it will become a non-issue from at least a mechanical standpoint.

Other than the fact that iron block and aluminum head combinations are toxic in the first place, the main reason that most SC headgaskets failed is because of cooling system and fuel system maintenance issues and tuning. The factory tune is very aggressive and leaves little margin for error and NO room for modifications.

Back