Loud unnatural noise

smac

I unplugged the coil pack to crank the engine so I could bleed the power steering system (long, long story), and when I plugged it back in and fired the car up there was/is a very loud knocking coming from somewhere on the driver side of the engine. I didn’t touch the plugs or wires.

Thoughts?

Lots. It was very slow cranking because the battery was shot (replaced that today), but cranking nonetheless. It was to cycle ps fluid through the hydroboost system I just put in.

Good morning

Is the sound "clacking" or a knocking? The clacking (sometimes known as a tapping) sound could be collapse hydraulic lifters. Check the oil level and Dirty Oil Deposits. Take appropriate action. If good try another restart. It has been my experience serviceable high mileage lifter issue noise should dissipate within 3 minutes after starting. If the car has be down for awhile the 3 minutes should be enough time to pump up the lifters.

It’s a metallic (I guess) tapping. Clacking might fit the description. The supercharger knocks a little, and this is a very different noise. Loud and sharp. Almost as if I was tapping a piece of metal with a wrench. It’s rhythmic, too, not intermittent like the supercharger knock. The car sat all winter, was driven from March til May (when the teves went), and sat all summer, being started once a month or so. I fired it up last week and it was totally fine. I only ran it for several seconds yesterday as I didn’t want to cause any (more) damage.

Why would appropriate action mean?

If the last thing you did was to splice into the power steering lines, I'd look around there. Something you can do to narrow the search is take off the serp belts and start it up for a minute. That would at least eliminate the accessories.. power steering, alt, AC, waterpump, etc as the cause.

Alright, tomorrow I’ll run the engine for four minutes to see if the sound disappears, if not, I’ll pop the belt off and run it for several seconds, and then I’ll check the oil.

How does one do this?

Engine off, grab the pulley and see if you can move it in any direction by hand. Eyeball it for fresh scrapes, warping etc. Inspect all the fasteners to confirm they're tight and accounted for. Check the belt for damage, fraying, etc.

Engine running, eyeball the pulley to see if it wobbles.

Back