1989 SC, manual, Colorado Springs CO -- has to go ASAP

Red '89 SC

1989 SC, manual trans, 160Kish miles. Would make a good parts car or re-build.

It needs a lot of work but runs solid. Engine is strong, still responsive and smooth, body is decent. Not looking to part the car out, need to get rid of it to make room for others. Was going to re-build/restore it but can't now.

Notes/major issues:

- Interior: gray, decent condition, dash cracked in middle
- Exterior: red, but needs a paint job in a bad way. Body is straight, but a few dings here and there
- Mechanical: oil leaks (suspect it needs new head gaskets), clutch is slipping
- Other: needs new tires
- basically a factory car with some normal wear and tear replacement parts, no mods
- still have original radio, CD player does not work

Again, not parting it out, someone needs to take the whole car. Giving it a week before I have to send it to the junkyard. :(

Open to offers.

Attachments

• IMG_0022.jpg
    IMG_0022.jpg
    387.1 KB · Views: 406
  • IMG_0024.jpg
    IMG_0024.jpg
    360.1 KB · Views: 401
  • IMG_0030.jpg
    IMG_0030.jpg
    369.3 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG_0026v2.jpg
    IMG_0026v2.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 415
  • IMG_0029.jpg
    IMG_0029.jpg
    405.2 KB · Views: 408
Slight correction about oil leak: car doesn’t smoke or smell of anti freeze while running so may not be head gaskets. Not a mechanic but someone posed the question

interior pieces

So the seats look decent - any rips or tears in the front bolsters? How about the door skins - they in good condition?

no rips in seats, doors in good shape minus a few scuff marks. The pictures also don't show the slight fading/rubbing on the black plastic parts and a little fading on the grey handles used to pull open/close the doors.

Both seat adjustment mechanisms (forward/rear, back support, etc) work but the forward/rear adjustment is SLOW. Auto seat belts work, driver side occasionally stops half- 3/4 way but usually works

IMG_0034.jpgIMG_0035.jpgIMG_0036.jpgIMG_0052.jpgIMG_0054.jpg

Glad to see it is going to a new home. I just couldn't sort a way to get it to Spokane. Congrats to the new owner.
Creighton

Now that its sold I'm gonna hijack this thread. I saw another sc in the back ground... I'm in colorado springs too. You ever go down to the dragstrip in pueblo or autox at ppir?

The seller recommended this forum, so I joined about 9 minutes ago, clicked on "New Posts" and spotted this thread. I suppose I could be thought of as the one who saved it from the junkyard. ;)

I will say that "J" (I'll respect his anonymity on this forum) was exceptionally pleasant and forthright during the sale process. I was most pleased by J's obvious sincerity. Though ultimately, I don't know, I've come to trust my intuition and judgment of character. But aside from that, I think most would agree (if it was them) that J was being very thorough in mentioning issues that some sellers might just "fail to mention". J barked out a list of things ranging from not working to just not working perfect in one breath (i.e., without hesitating). To me, it was evident he valued honesty. I just want to acknowledge this, because I wish it was more common. But that's how this world gets better...being a living example. So thank you J!

To be honest, I think he undersold it. J has owned it since the early '90's, and it's easy to see how well he cared for it. Though he's brief, by mentioning "parts car", "re-build" and "...a lot of work", one gets the impression the thing is shot. Though I'm no expert on SCs, I'm plenty well versed at cars, have owned an '89 SC back in '13 (134K miles), and in short...this car is solid. It needed tires, so those went on this afternoon, and an HD clutch has been ordered. But as he mentioned, the motor is healthy and strong. Because the clutch is slipping, I don't know yet whether it'll make 12 psi. I haven't bothered flooring it, because the clutch just slips. Anyway, after a new clutch...I'm fairly confident I'll have a relatively solid "budget" SC. The new tires did wonders. The tires that were on it must have been 15+ years old...they were so cracked. Higher speeds had it shaking and bouncing due to out-of-balance phenomenon. The new tires...smooth at (censored) mph. ;)

I sometimes buy cars to flip them. I'll fix them up, drive them and try to make a couple bucks. But I would like to keep this one if possible. I can't say I haven't toyed with the idea of researching what it would take to give it another 50 hp.

Attachments

• 101817-1-lr.jpg
    101817-1-lr.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 305
Boost Coupe

Thanks for the kind words and hope you have fun with it. Still has life in it and glad it went to someone who can appreciate it and get it back in shape. See you around town!

Back