What's wrong with these seats?

That's one clean supercoupe.

I'm not sure but, didn't SC's come with the lateral support bolsters on the front seats.

Definitely not SC seats. They look a lot like Lincoln LS seats (they're not - the padding runs the other direction) or SN95 Mustang seats (they're not, no pony logo). My guess is they're an aftermarket seat for a 99-04 Mustang.

I'm pretty confident that those are just super coupe seats that have been recovered. There used to be a company that sold aftermarket seat covers that looked the same as what they did to those.

-Tim

I agree - recovered SC units...they look to have the same controls. Guessing someone decided to not cover the bolsters separately is all.

The spoiler is OEM, but we're told they were added at the dealer, new.

Strange tho that the car doesn't seem to otherwise reflect the general wear that would perhaps normally come with it being at a point in it's life that the seats begged to be recovered. Crime scene cleanup? ;)

Run a carfax on it yet?

I wouldn't consider the spoiler OEM, the cars never left the factory with them. They were available as a Ford Accessory at the dealer level, but not something you could tick a box for when ordering the vehicle.

cheers
Ed

I agree - recovered SC units...they look to have the same controls. Guessing someone decided to not cover the bolsters separately is all.

The spoiler is OEM, but we're told they were added at the dealer, new.

Strange tho that the car doesn't seem to otherwise reflect the general wear that would perhaps normally come with it being at a point in it's life that the seats begged to be recovered. Crime scene cleanup? ;)

Run a carfax on it yet?

I haven't run a Carfax on it. The seats kind of put me off. I guess it's possible the bolsters were just covered with the seat, but they look a little small. I looked at pics of thunderbird lx seats, and they look similar.Also, I've never seen seats that light in color. Maybe just used to seeing them worn. I agree that new seat covers in a sub 80k mile car is odd.

They were available as a Ford Accessory at the dealer level...

Thanks for confirming they were Ford branded parts, and as I said, installed by dealers. Unless they were included in one of the three (?) option groups, I've yet to see them specifically called out on a window sticker.

Ken

Last edited:
Also the Dash has one of the aftermarket Plastic Dash covers on it that hide the dash cracks. That's why it's 2 toned.

-Tim

Also the Dash has one of the aftermarket Plastic Dash covers on it that hide the dash cracks. That's why it's 2 toned.

-Tim

That seems to be correct, seats don't look so bad to me................:)

Attachments

• 1989_ford_thunderbird-pic-8138431205142003412-1024x768.jpg
    1989_ford_thunderbird-pic-8138431205142003412-1024x768.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 256
  • 1989_ford_thunderbird-pic-8701866998669501379-1024x768.jpg
    1989_ford_thunderbird-pic-8701866998669501379-1024x768.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 248

-Tim

I don't think so.

You can see the seam of the cluster cover, and the trim piece on the passenger side. The covers I've seen cover both of those.

RwP

I don't think so.

You can see the seam of the cluster cover, and the trim piece on the passenger side. The covers I've seen cover both of those.

RwP

Here's a link to one that I installed years ago, looks like the one on the car for sale to me. You could buy them with or without the slide tray opening in the passenger side dash.

https://www.1aauto.com/1989-93-thun...e&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_base_api

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?109625-Dash-cap-for-sale-35

Last edited:
Look close at the engine bay...it's filthy - spent time in a flood, maybe? That would explain the 'nice looking' interior, but again, doesn't match - why nice on one hand, and rusty and grimy on the other.. Carfax might know, but only if it was insured when that happened, I think.

There are some things that pop out as odd, and you guys know more about these cars than me. Their asking price is $6000. It's been on there for 60 days or so

The seats are definitely poorly recovered SC seats. The headrest, seat bottom, and controls are all clearly SC seats, but someone made seatback covers without the separate covers for the side bolsters. The dash also definitely has that cover on it. $6K is way too much. That is a $3K car all day long.

The seats are definitely poorly recovered SC seats. The headrest, seat bottom, and controls are all clearly SC seats, but someone made seatback covers without the separate covers for the side bolsters. The dash also definitely has that cover on it. $6K is way too much. That is a $3K car all day long.

This. They are just ~~~~~~ covers over the original seats.

Back