2018 HRPT June 9-15

Well, The Boss said, "whatever you want to do", so now it's a matter of logistics. Is there a cutoff date to register for the tour that I have to worry about, or can it wait a while until I work this out?

That is great Ira! Looking forward to seeing you, Tim, Chris and anyone else who wants to join in. Registration isn't even open yet, but should be on or about Jan 15th.

I will be booking hotel rooms this week. I am not booking anything fancy and trying to keep it under $100 a night. Also looking for a place that has included breakfast so my Dad can eat when he needs to, to control his Diabetes.

It looks like they have Best Westerns at every location and they all include a full breakfast, not just a continental.

I will post my hotel info for anyone who wants to stay in the same places.

Here is a link to the site: http://www.hotrod.com/events/power-tour/

That is great Ira! Looking forward to seeing you, Tim, Chris and anyone else who wants to join in. Registration isn't even open yet, but should be on or about Jan 15th.

I will be booking hotel rooms this week. I am not booking anything fancy and trying to keep it under $100 a night. Also looking for a place that has included breakfast so my Dad can eat when he needs to, to control his Diabetes.

It looks like they have Best Westerns at every location and they all include a full breakfast, not just a continental.

I will post my hotel info for anyone who wants to stay in the same places.

Here is a link to the site: http://www.hotrod.com/events/power-tour/

Got your PM Smitty, thanks. Please post up your hotels, since you are already waaay ahead of me when it comes to preparing for this. But it is on the calendar, so that's a start.

Hotel info

Everyone,
Here is my hotel info in case folks want to try and stay together. I didn't choose really expensive places nor super cheap ones either. I don't have any rewards points with any of these places. My total cost for all 8 nights I am staying at hotels is roughly $645, so roughly $80 a night. Not too bad really.

All have at least a Continental breakfast, some have a full hot breakfast. I am doing the tour with my Dad and he likes to be up as the ~~~ crack of dawn for some silly reason! Anyway here is where I am staying. I used my military/government option if the prices were lower than a normal booking would be. Some were and some weren't any different. Some are actually higher because they know those staying on a Gov't rate get a certain amount for that area, so they max it out when they can.

On the last hotel (Friday) I drove about 30 minutes away from the venue towards my drive home on Saturday, so it may be of some help to some and not so much for others.

Friday, June 8: Bowling Green, KY @ Beech Bend Raceway Park
Saturday, June 9: Bowling Green, KY @ Beech Bend Raceway Park
Wingate by Wyndham 185 Greenwood Ln. Bowling Green, KY (270) 842-3800

Sunday, June 10: Chattanooga, TN @ Chattanooga State Community College
Days Inn Chattanooga. Lookout Mountain West 3801 Cummings Hwy Chattanooga, TN 37419 (270) 781-6470

Monday, June 11: Birmingham, AL @ Hoover metropolitan Stadium
Days Inn Birmingham 4627 Highway 280 Birmingham, Alabama 35242 (205)-991-9977

Tuesday, June 12: Hampton, GA @ Atlanta Motor Speedway
Quality Inn & Suites, 930 Highway 155 South McDonough, GA, 30253 (770) 957-5291

Wednesday, June 13: Darlington, SC @ Darlington Raceway
Baymont Inn and Suites 1826 West Lucas St. Florence, SC 29501 (843) 468-9994

Thursday, June 14: Raleigh, NC @ PNC Arena
Best Western Plus 1722 Walnut St. Cary, NC 27511 (919) 481-1200

Friday, June 15: Concord, NC @ zMax Dragway (Charlotte Motor Speedway)
Comfort Suites 1874 Remount Rd. Gastonia, NC 28054 (704) 865-6688

Last edited:
Updated Venues for Chatt and Raligh

All,
I have updated the posts with the venues for both Chattanooga, TN and Raleigh, NC

Chattanooga is going to be @ Chattanooga State Community College
Raleigh, NC is going be @ PNC Arena

I will try and start a poll for those who think they might be going or making an appearance so we can get an idea who might be interested.

Smitty

Shame they have yet to update the itinerary on the HRPT web page. My question might easily be answered by those who have completed this years prior.

The first location on the tour, is there a certain check in time for registration? Also the last stop is there a set time when they announce the finish and people roll out? I ask these questions mainly for the purposes of my own lodging, as I could save 2 nights of hotel expense potentially.

-Tim

Shame they have yet to update the itinerary on the HRPT web page. My question might easily be answered by those who have completed this years prior.

The first location on the tour, is there a certain check in time for registration? Also the last stop is there a set time when they announce the finish and people roll out? I ask these questions mainly for the purposes of my own lodging, as I could save 2 nights of hotel expense potentially.

-Tim

In years past, if we had to travel far to get to the start, we would roll into town the night before so we could check in either the day before or beat the crowd on the day of. As for the end, if you stick around for the Long Haul goodies, it will be a full day. I don't think we left the show field until after 5 pm. I think we could have made the drives home, but after spending a week in the car we opted to stay the night at the last stop and drive home the next morning.

In years past, if we had to travel far to get to the start, we would roll into town the night before so we could check in either the day before or beat the crowd on the day of. As for the end, if you stick around for the Long Haul goodies, it will be a full day. I don't think we left the show field until after 5 pm. I think we could have made the drives home, but after spending a week in the car we opted to stay the night at the last stop and drive home the next morning.

Thanks for the reply. The longest leg of the trip for me is to KY @ 7 1/2 hours. I noticed Smitty was arriving the night before so it made me wonder if I should as well. I have family in Knoxville TN so I suppose I will crash there the night before and drive the 3 hours in.

On the other end of the trip I am 3 hours from Charlotte NC so departure at 5pm isn't that bad (gives the option unless otherwise wore out).

Looking at all angles so the wife doesn't want to kill me for going on a 8 day trip while she tends to the 1 year old on her own. :p I figure cost will become one of her arguing points.

Thanks.

-Tim

Thanks for the reply. The longest leg of the trip for me is to KY @ 7 1/2 hours. I noticed Smitty was arriving the night before so it made me wonder if I should as well. I have family in Knoxville TN so I suppose I will crash there the night before and drive the 3 hours in.

On the other end of the trip I am 3 hours from Charlotte NC so departure at 5pm isn't that bad (gives the option unless otherwise wore out).

Looking at all angles so the wife doesn't want to kill me for going on a 8 day trip while she tends to the 1 year old on her own. :p I figure cost will become one of her arguing points.

Thanks.

-Tim

Tim,
I am going up sometime Friday just in time to make it to registration, so I don't have to worry about doing it in on Saturday Morning. and rather than coming back home (only 1:15 for me) I am going to stay the night in Bowling Green. I have to keep reminding myself I am bringing my 77 year old Dad with me, so I am trying to make it as easy as I can on him and good nights sleep without having to get up really early is worth it to me.

I think the total for all hotels is around $645 for the entire tour including the 2 nights in BG and the last night in Concord, NC. Like Kurt said it is a full day on the last day and I didn't even stay for the long haulers stuff last year, so a good nights sleep seemed like a good idea. My trip back is like your trip getting there at about 7.5 hrs to get home.

Regular Long Haul Registration is $129, and Gold package is $375. I am thinking about doing the Gold package only to get preferred parking at all the venues for my Dad. You also get lunch at the first venue and a special Gold member gift, but other than that it is the same as the regular long hauler stuff. He is mobile and walked all around Disney in December, but this will be 7 days straight, not just 1.

Kurt, Keeping in mind my Dads age, do you think the gold package with preferred parking is worth the extra $250. I am really not convinced it will be.

Smitty

Registration is Open

All,
Registration is open for the 2018 HRPT.

Link: http://www.hotrod.com/events/power-tour/

Just a quick break down:

PARTICIPANT PRICING

All Power Tour registrations will receive a Motor Trend on Demand 14 day free trial. Details will be emailed to you in the coming weeks

VIP Platinum Package: $2,250 (limited number available). Two (2) VIP credentials, One (1) vehicle entry at all venues, Seven (7) nights hotel accommodation, One (1) goody bag with bonus VIP Platinum gift, Access to Platinum lounge with water and snacks, Meet n Greet with HOT ROD staff and editors at VIP Dinner, VIP Dinner at Kick-off city, Hospitality lunch provided at one venue during the week, Preferred parking at venues, One (1) $125 gift card for lunches, Long-hauler finisher plaque (will receive if checked-in at all 7 stops) - 1 plaque per credential, Long-Hauler finisher certificate, Access to 'Long-hauler only' giveaways on-site.

Gold Club: $375 (limited number available). Includes vehicle entry at all venues, Two (2) VIP credentials, preferred parking at all venues, one goody bag with bonus Gold Club gift, Hospitality lunch provided at first venue, Long-hauler finisher plaque (will receive if checked-in at all 7 stops) - 1 plaque per credential, Long-Hauler finisher certificate, Access to 'Long-hauler only' giveaways on-site.

Long Hauler: $129. Includes vehicle entry at all venues, Two (2) VIP credentials, parking at all venues (1 vehicle), One (1) goody bag with giveaways, Long-hauler finisher plaque (will receive if checked-in at all 7 stops) - 1 plaque per credential, Long-Hauler finisher certificate, Access to 'Long-hauler only' giveaways on-site.

NOTE: Long Hauler package will only be available for collection at the first stop- if a Long Hauler package is purchased and not collected at the first stop the package (including credential) will default to the Multi-Day package.

Multi-day pre-registration: $129/Multi-day onsite registration: $160 (June 1), Includes two (2) multi-day credentials, vehicle entry at all venues (1 vehicle), one (1) goody bag with giveaways.

NOTE: this package does not receive the long hauler plaque or long hauler specific giveaways. If you want to be a part of long hauler items please register for the long hauler package.

Single Day pre-registration: $45/single day onsite registration: $50 (June 1), Hang with the largest road trip in the world for a day. Onsite parking, license plate and dash plaque.

What exactly are VIP Credentials? The extra bucks for the preferred parking does almost sound worth it, but what exactly is preferred parking? Don't you park at the hotel at night and then join the conga line sometime the next morning?

What exactly are VIP Credentials? The extra bucks for the preferred parking does almost sound worth it, but what exactly is preferred parking? Don't you park at the hotel at night and then join the conga line sometime the next morning?

Ira,
I think everyone gets what is called VIP credentials. Just their way of making you feel special. But the VIP credentials are only included on the Platinum, Gold and Long Hauler registrations. The other registration options such a Multiday and Single day don't get VIP credentials. The preferred parking they are referring to is at the venue for the day, not at the hotel. So I am thinking you have a slightly different sticker on your car that identifies you as a Gold registrant and they point you in perhaps a different area to park, instead of out in a field like at BG Airport last year.

I am only guessing but I think it would be closer to the midway where all the vendors are setup, so you don't have so far to walk to get you credentials stamped and stuff like that.

Again only a guess, but it makes sense. I am waiting on Kurt to chime in to see of he has an understanding of it at all. I am also looking on the HRPT Facebook page as well.

Smitty

Last edited:
Thanks Smitty. Starting to sound like it pays to park closer than further. I agree it would be better for your dad and for me and Gail as well. In the meantime, I still haven't bookewd theh otels so I need to get off my arse and get to that. Still so much to do with the house and all, I haven't booked for the Drive yet either.

Forgot to ask. Are you driving down to FL to pickup dad, or flying him up to you?

Thanks Smitty. Starting to sound like it pays to park closer than further. I agree it would be better for your dad and for me and Gail as well. In the meantime, I still haven't bookewd theh otels so I need to get off my arse and get to that. Still so much to do with the house and all, I haven't booked for the Drive yet either.

Yeah you are slacking sir! LOL. I just went ahead and booked all my stuff, I can always change it later, but at least it feels like I am committed to going now! LOL

Yeah you are slacking sir! LOL. I just went ahead and booked all my stuff, I can always change it later, but at least it feels like I am committed to going now! LOL

Know what you mean. I just looked and it seems they only do a couple of hours of driving a day. Mostly short haul stuff. Is that right, or is it because there are so many cars you only do 40 mph all day?

Know what you mean. I just looked and it seems they only do a couple of hours of driving a day. Mostly short haul stuff. Is that right, or is it because there are so many cars you only do 40 mph all day?

Ira,
When I went on the one leg last year we left the gas station by the hotel around 8:00 and got to the next venue around 1:30 if I remember right. Keep in mind this was with about 4 stops for various reasons like checking trans fluid for some, bathroom break for others, some traffic in certain locations. Oh hell follow Kurt and on the few interstate segments you will push upwards of 80 mph.

But mainly it is a nice relaxing drive with some traffic as you get closer to the next venue. I enjoyed it a great deal hence why I going to do the entire thing this year.

Definitely bring a chair, wide brim hat, tent or umbrella, sun screen, and a cooler for lots of water breaks while at the venues.

Can't wait until June and of course May for the Epic Drive. Now that route looks insane!!

Everyone,

Sunday, June 10: Chattanooga, TN @ Chattanooga State Community College
Days Inn Chattanooga. Lookout Mountain West 3801 Cummings Hwy Chattanooga, TN 37419 (270) 781-6470

Wrong phone number!!

Here's the right one

(423) 954-7644

Ira,
When I went on the one leg last year we left the gas station by the hotel around 8:00 and got to the next venue around 1:30 if I remember right. Keep in mind this was with about 4 stops for various reasons like checking trans fluid for some, bathroom break for others, some traffic in certain locations. Oh hell follow Kurt and on the few interstate segments you will push upwards of 80 mph.

But mainly it is a nice relaxing drive with some traffic as you get closer to the next venue. I enjoyed it a great deal hence why I going to do the entire thing this year.

Definitely bring a chair, wide brim hat, tent or umbrella, sun screen, and a cooler for lots of water breaks while at the venues.

Can't wait until June and of course May for the Epic Drive. Now that route looks insane!!

Okay, so you follow Kurt for about 2 hours and then sit around in what shade you can find all afternoon? Sort of like a car show on wheels. Oh wait lol
Gail is just going to love sitting around all day.

Okay, reservations made at all but two of the same places you are staying at. I have to look a little closer at the last stop to see what I think I may want to do, and there was one place where they need a manager to make a reservation that far out. Now I'm just waiting to hear back about the registration option, but I'm thinking Gold, if only for the hell of it.

Last edited:
Thanks Smitty. Starting to sound like it pays to park closer than further. I agree it would be better for your dad and for me and Gail as well. In the meantime, I still haven't booked the hotels so I need to get off my arse and get to that. Still so much to do with the house and all, I haven't booked for the Drive yet either.

Forgot to ask. Are you driving down to FL to pickup dad, or flying him up to you?

I will be flying him and my mom up to me on the Wednesday before so my mom can spend the week with the grandkids while Dad and I cruise the country.

Honestly after thinking about it I am not sure the Gold is worth the extra $250. After seeing a lot of post on the HRPT Facebook page, so many say just get the regular long haul registration and use the extra $250 for souvenirs or food, etc;! The midway doesn't change very much except for the main sponsor for that stop, so seeing all the cars is what it is all about and apparently you will miss a lot of the cars if you are parked in the preferred parking areas as they are farther from the other cars.

Still a little undecided, but I suppose I have to make up my mind as they are only so many Gold packages available.

Alright, rooms are now booked for Chris and I for the entire trip. We're either at the same location or in a property next door in most stops except McDonough, GA... the Quality Inn wasn't allowing me to book so we're 1 exit up at the Super 8. We will be rolling out after Charlotte, so shaved 1 nights stay off on both ends of the trip also.

Our hotels if it's any value to anyone else.

Saturday, June 9: Bowling Green, KY @ Beech Bend Raceway Park

Days Inn (it's next door to the Wingate property and was $20 less)

Sunday & Monday - Same Days Inn Property's Listed

Tuesday - Super 8 McDonough 1170 Hampton Road McDonough, GA (1 exit up)

Wednesday - Super 8 (right next door to the Baymont Inn)

Thursday - Same Best Western

No turning back now...Total hotel costs split between us will be less than a weekend at Carlisle so can't beat that either!

-Tim

Back