2018 HRPT June 9-15

Alright, rooms are now booked for Chris and I for the entire trip. We're either at the same location or in a property next door in most stops except McDonough, GA... the Quality Inn wasn't allowing me to book so we're 1 exit up at the Super 8. We will be rolling out after Charlotte, so shaved 1 nights stay off on both ends of the trip also.

-Tim

Glad to here Tim. Looking forward to seeing some more T-Birds on the tour than just mine. I may check into that Days Inn in Bowling Green, that would save me $40!

Smitty

Kurt, Keeping in mind my Dads age, do you think the gold package with preferred parking is worth the extra $250. I am really not convinced it will be.

Smitty
Smitty, after some of the parking debacles the last time we went, we pretty much decided to buck up for the batter parking the next time we go. I will admit though, even the VIP parking was hosed up at at least one of the venues.

Edit: We have never tried the Gold package previously, so we don't really know. Getting an early start helps with getting good parking, but some of the fun is definitely the experience of the drive. If you bypass the officially route to assist with arriving early, you will miss some of the adventure. Of course, you can miss some tremendous traffic issues too. Tony and Dave and probably add to this discussion.

Last edited:
Okay, reservations all made. I still haven't made a reservation for the last day yet, still not sure how that day plays out and what direction I want to head of in; or how much I am going to want to drive to get there. I don't think I'm going to go shopping for the the first two nights. It is what it is already.

Let me know what everyone decides as far as the package goes. I'm fine either way, because now I have a more pressing issue on my hands than hotel reservations and which package to buy => The Boss thought it was a weekend event, not a week long traveling car show. :(

Typing it seems at the same time as Kurt. One more question for him. If the cars are VIP parked how long a walk is it to the hotels?

Last edited:
Typing it seems at the same time as Kurt. One more question for him. If the cars are VIP parked how long a walk is it to the hotels?
Ira, VIP parking is for the venues only I believe. There is no know correlation to the hotels. Usually hotels are not located right next to the venues.

The Boss thought it was a weekend event, not a week long traveling car show. :(

Oh Boy, is she going to have fun! :D

You are advised to plan some extra curricular activities and be very flexible with your schedule. :p

Your 'couple hours' short haul can easily be 4-6 hours each and every day.

It can be hot... very hot.

Or it can be wet.

Prepare for the worst, plan for the best and expect the unexpected.

Finally Registered for the Tour

OK everyone,
I guess I will start this and I finally got registered for the Long Haul of the power tour, so lets get every one to start registering.

All of the Gold packages are sold out, so I will just be another peasant along for the ride like everyone else. Good news is registration is only $136.xx total after taxes so more money for other stuff.

Would like to get a running list of those going and where you are coming from and whether you are a long hauler or stopping for a few locations. Will try and keep something on top of this post so everyone can see it.

Once you get registered look at the first post and post up with your info and I will add it to the running list.

Smitty

Last edited:
Well,
For those interested, Hot Rod Magazine has announced the 2018 HRPT dates are from the 9-15th of June, starting near Bowling Green, KY.

No stops or venues have been announced, but at least people now have the dates and can request vacation time.

This year I am planning on doing the entire tour with my dad who lives in FL and is 77, so you never know how many more times I will get this chance. He is the one that is largely responsible for me getting involved with cars to begin with, so I thought this would be a great trip for him as well.

Hopefully some more SCCOA/TCCOA/TBU etc; folks can join in.

Smitty

Registration List:

Name--------------Board Name--------Driving From---------Tour Length/Stops

James Smith (Smitty)---Quik95SC--------Clarksville, TN--------------Long Haul

Add my name Smitty.

Ira Robinson Ira R. Sarasota FL Long Haul

Name--------------Board Name--------Driving From---------Tour Length/Stops

Tim Groth --------------Tim Groth----------Roanoke, VA--------------Long Haul

-Tim

No other folks trying to go? I know it is in June, but if you are thinking about going get those hotels reserved ASAP or you might be a long way from the venues!

Even if you might show up to only 1 or 2 locations, post up so I can add it to the first thread and get a count of possible attendees.

No other folks trying to go? I know it is in June, but if you are thinking about going get those hotels reserved ASAP or you might be a long way from the venues!

Even if you might show up to only 1 or 2 locations, post up so I can add it to the first thread and get a count of possible attendees.

Chris V is going - as we're splitting a room the entire trip, just hasn't updated things.

-Tim

So how is everyone doing? Still good to go?

Driller, any luck in making plans?

Ira, did you get a heat shield for your starter yet?

I'm good to go here.

Tim and change?

What time is everyone getting to Bowling Green? I am leaving my house around 3:30-4:00 on Friday Evening and should get to Bowling Green in time to pick up my packet at the registration site by 6:00, which is not at Beech Bend Raceway.

In the next few days I will PM everyone my cell # in case anyone needs it.

Everything is still good here for the long haul.

As for arrival time - plan to leave Roanoke Friday after work staying in the Knoxville area with either family or a hotel - haven't fully pinned that down as of yet. Arrival Saturday morning at the HRPT check in.

-Tim

So how is everyone doing? Still good to go?

Driller, any luck in making plans?

I had plans all in place but something came up I had to cancel them all. :mad:

I really hope you guys enjoy it as much as I know I'll miss it. :eek:

Hopefully, next year will make up for it.

Chris and I should be rolling into Knoxville Friday night around 10-11p, just finalized those plans last night with my Aunt. I'd imagine we will get to Bowling Green around 10-11a Saturday, unless we're supposed to be there earlier.

Final tweaks are being made to my car. This weekend it fought taking a new tune and once warmed up had a vac leak that we were unable to locate. Hopefully it will be fully road worthy by midweek. No better way to test it for the first time than on a week long road trip...right? ;)

-Tim

Back