2018 HRPT June 9-15

Chris and I should be rolling into Knoxville Friday night around 10-11p, just finalized those plans last night with my Aunt. I'd imagine we will get to Bowling Green around 10-11a Saturday, unless we're supposed to be there earlier.

Final tweaks are being made to my car. This weekend it fought taking a new tune and once warmed up had a vac leak that we were unable to locate. Hopefully it will be fully road worthy by midweek. No better way to test it for the first time than on a week long road trip...right? ;)

-Tim

Sounds great Tim. No worries about not getting there earlier, don't forget to stop and pick up credentials. I should get there around 9:00, only because I live so close and Dad want to get cracker barrel that morning.
Send you an IM on Facebook with my Cell #. Just let me know if you got it.

Sounds great Tim. No worries about not getting there earlier, don't forget to stop and pick up credentials. I should get there around 9:00, only because I live so close and Dad want to get cracker barrel that morning.
Send you an IM on Facebook with my Cell #. Just let me know if you got it.

I haven't been on Facebook for almost 4 years so I haven't haha :D

PM Me here or shoot it to Chris Vining.

-Tim

I am afraid I have to back out of the tour this year. In fact I am having to cancel all of my hotel reservations as I write this. There has been a family issue that just takes priority and Gail & I have to deal with that before anything else. Sorry folks, and I really am going to miss this. Maybe next year.

I am afraid I have to back out of the tour this year. In fact I am having to cancel all of my hotel reservations as I write this. There has been a family issue that just takes priority and Gail & I have to deal with that before anything else. Sorry folks, and I really am going to miss this. Maybe next year.

We get it Ira, family is always first no matter what. Hope everything turns out as good as it can. Tell Gail hello and I will miss seeing you on the road with us.

Take care!

Smitty

We get it Ira, family is always first no matter what. Hope everything turns out as good as it can. Tell Gail hello and I will miss seeing you on the road with us.

Take care!

Smitty

Thanks Smitty. Yea, we may have to head up to DC to help the youngest and her life. They get old but they never get too old to call mom & dad. It's shame though, the way the timing fell. It just seems like it wasn't meant to be.

I'm finally back home after a 5 month odyssey!

I may meet you guys in Darlington on Wednesday afternoon and I'm also considering a run up to Petty's Garage on Friday to meet you guys for lunch and then drive the final stretch down to Zmax with the tour.

I'm finally back home after a 5 month odyssey!

I may meet you guys in Darlington on Wednesday afternoon and I'm also considering a run up to Petty's Garage on Friday to meet you guys for lunch and then drive the final stretch down to Zmax with the tour.

That sounds great! Let us know what you decide.

Think smitty is going to post some pictures on FB. It's been an adventure so far for me. Think Chris's 35th anny adventure.

Keep in mind my car hasn't been on the road since Carlisle 2015 and everything is new...been so long every noise feels new etc. It's definitely not my fully loaded expedition I drive daily.

Car finally was fully assembled Friday evening, instead of staying in Knoxville Chris and I stayed at my place and left at 3a. Delays in having it done were for my aftermarket thick 3 inch rad pooped out...so a stock rad was installed off we go...Stop for gas, hood strut pulled the hinge out of the glass hood. So that's on my list to fix one of these stops, we bought stuff to make a bush repair.

DAY 1 ...bowling green...my car over heated getting into the venue, and I was also baking inside the car from my lack of carpet padding to absorb heat. The black aftermarket carpet wasn't doing it's job...already knew the radiator was the weak point. Ran to Lowe's, purchased a roll of reflective padding, looks like the sunsheild you use when parked on a hot day...application is for home attics to reduce heat. That's now under my carpet and works awesome.

DAY 2 ...chatanooga. Lots of mountain driving...long tall grades again over heating, or high temps. Again long as line to park she over heats. Mission of the day then turns into finding a radiator. Find a vendor, after beating thru to them we have to shop size not application for fitment, it was determined a rad for a 70 cougar, 62-69 Fairlane, 70-73 Mavrick is 20width 21 tall...will fit w the MP front mount. Smitty, I and other power tour people got it installed tonight with some trimming here and there. All that's needed is a lower hose but everything was closed at 8p.

Otherwise...Smittys stock 5spd is running great without issues. Chris's car lost a starter in Bowling Green running me to Lowe's to fix the cabin heat issue. Advance had one in stock...he installed and now it's intermittent starting. Going to try a starter switch in the a.m.

Please forgive typos etc...mobile forum is brutal.

Tim

Last edited:
Think smitty is going to post some pictures on FB. It's been an adventure so far for me. Think Chris's 35th anny adventure.

Keep in mind my car hasn't been on the road since Carlisle 2015 and everything is new...been so long every noise feels new etc. It's definitely not my fully loaded expedition I drive daily.

Car finally was fully assembled Friday evening, instead of staying in Knoxville Chris and I stayed at my place and left at 3a. Delays in having it done were for my aftermarket thick 3 inch rad pooped out...so a stock rad was installed off we go...Stop for gas, hood strut pulled the hinge out of the glass hood. So that's on my list to fix one of these stops, we bought stuff to make a bush repair.

DAY 1 ...bowling green...my car over heated getting into the venue, and I was also baking inside the car from my lack of carpet padding to absorb heat. The black aftermarket carpet wasn't doing it's job...already knew the radiator was the weak point. Ran to Lowe's, purchased a roll of reflective padding, looks like the sunsheild you use when parked on a hot day...application is for home attics to reduce heat. That's now under my carpet and works awesome.

DAY 2 ...chatanooga. Lots of mountain driving...long tall grades again over heating, or high temps. Again long as line to park she over heats. Mission of the day then turns into finding a radiator. Find a vendor, after beating thru to them we have to shop size not application for fitment, it was determined a rad for a 70 cougar, 62-69 Fairlane, 70-73 Mavrick is 20width 21 tall...will fit w the MP front mount. Smitty, I and other power tour people got it installed tonight with some trimming here and there. All that's needed is a lower hose but everything was closed at 8p.

Otherwise...Smittys stock 5spd is running great without issues. Chris's car lost a starter in Bowling Green running me to Lowe's to fix the cabin heat issue. Advance had one in stock...he installed and now it's intermittent starting. Going to try a starter switch in the a.m.

Please forgive typos etc...mobile forum is brutal.

Tim

This does sound a lot like Chris Wise rolling on a untested combo. It was probably my most memorable Power Tour though.

Just arrived in Birmingham AL, finished rad this am and install works beautifully. Cars hottest point is now what was it's coolest.

Today's adventure happened 60 miles out. Trans went into limp mode had only 1st n 2nd for 10mins. Stopped let her rest while we ate...no problem rest of the way in. Memory reminded me 4 years ago I had to piece 2 trans harnesses together to make 1. That's tonight's project.

Chris now has a new ignition switch, also tonight's project. Roll starting and pushing a 5spd down to a science.

Power tour is some fun stuff! Long live the SC

-Tim

Last edited:
Closing in on 1am here in Hoover AL. Chris is currently laying under his car installing starter #2. Starter switch did nothing. So far starter 2 isn't hitting on much either, so now redoing the ring connector ends. (As I am writing this the trigger wire end replaced has now allowed the car to start...for now at least lol)

On my car, removed the trans harness, inspected everything, cleaned it up, re wire loomed and wrapped it. My original 2 harnesses into 1 I soldered everything together so looked fine. Had 1 suspect area we taped up. Really won't know of that's fixed until tomorrow's 4 hour trek.

Once that was repaired Smitty was nice enough to help me with Freon install as he brought his guages. We determined I am not getting 12v to the compressor even though all fuses are good under the dash and hood.

Power tour will be a story for a lifetime that's for sure. We came into it thinking we would party it up and relax. Instead it's been more about handling diversity.

Tomorrow we will roll out at 7am for Atlanta.

-Tim

Last edited:
Hey Tim if you are getting nothing to the compressor clutch it's a bad ircm just went through this on the 35th. Sounds like you guys are having fun lol all I had to do on mine on the 950 miles of epic drive was replace the nut holding the shifter cable on it decided to come off.

Woke up this morning cleaned my car to make it presentable for the show and told it...today's going to be a good day.

Amazingly it was...holy $&%%& right haha. My car made it to the show under it's own power and not over heating which is pretty damn impressive at that. Only issues today that were minor. I still have the O/D off light flashing, yet my trans works perfecrly...and upon arrival I pop my hood to clean the engine bay and the other side of my fiberglass hood pulled out of the 1 remaining hinge. So I rolled around all day without a hood. Had bought stuff to make repairs in Bowling Green, we did that today in the in field of the speedway and now it's great...better than ever before actually.

Atlanta motor speedway was an awesome venue also. Autocross, drag racing and best of all $10 for 2 laps around the track. Felt like an utter badass rolling around the track without a hood too. Chris and I went at the same time, luckily we were in the back of the pack so had more ability to drop the hammer. We rolled thru turns 1 & 2 WOT and down the back stretch. We both let out of it at 120mph when we caught traffic. It was awesome, I'm still smiling hours later. Also suppose that's as hard of a stress test as it will see and it passed.

Jacob...i have an IRCM spare in the glove box, I'll swap it and see if that resolves my issues.

-Tim

Wow what fun! I hope you got some GoPro or other video.

I know Chris has a GoPro. I hope he used it!

I'll bring my camera tomorrow and get some pix & video to post later.

Detailed the car today, she's ready to go! I'll see you guys at Darlington!

Sounds good, were loading up now. Smitty and his Dad took the official route and left earlier. We're going the fastest way which tells us 12 noon arrival.

See ya in a few.

-Tim

$10 for two laps would have been awesome. I hope they do that in the future. Years ago, I was able to take a lap around the oval at Gateway on the way to the 2nd World Ford Challenge. We were supposed to stay under 50 mph....I managed to see 100+ before catching up to the group. This was before GoPro cameras, but I do have a picture somewhere that I took as I entered the track.

Tried uploading and attaching some photos - with FF and IE. But it doesn't appear to be working. Could someone check my account settings. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Back