Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 82

Thread: 2018 HRPT June 9-15

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    KSRQ
    Posts
    5,153
    Well, The Boss said, "whatever you want to do", so now it's a matter of logistics. Is there a cutoff date to register for the tour that I have to worry about, or can it wait a while until I work this out?

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Woodbridge, VA
    Posts
    5,145
    I don't think there is a cutoff for the drive. The problem is finding lodging. I believe all the official hotels are sold out now. Alltho I heard the sold out part is just the block of rooms they reserved for tour people and you can still get rooms at those hotels just not at a discounted rate. Maybe some of the Vets here know better.
    ~Chris
    SCCoA Member #1826
    Bettie Riding jack stands
    SCARlit on drag duty now

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    KSRQ
    Posts
    5,153
    Is there a list of people who are thinking of doing this? I have always wanted top do this and the run this year is actually possible, but it wouldn't be any fun if there aren't a bunch of us going. I'm sure it would also make a big difference if people who have already done the tour are doing it again.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Woodbridge, VA
    Posts
    5,145
    Tim and I are trying to make it happen.
    ~Chris
    SCCoA Member #1826
    Bettie Riding jack stands
    SCARlit on drag duty now

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    250
    I may meet everyone for the finish at Zmax on the 15th. I may also try to make it up to Raleigh on the 14th.

    I'll know as it gets closer to that date.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Clarksville, TN
    Posts
    1,743
    Quote Originally Posted by Ira R. View Post
    Well, The Boss said, "whatever you want to do", so now it's a matter of logistics. Is there a cutoff date to register for the tour that I have to worry about, or can it wait a while until I work this out?
    That is great Ira! Looking forward to seeing you, Tim, Chris and anyone else who wants to join in. Registration isn't even open yet, but should be on or about Jan 15th.

    I will be booking hotel rooms this week. I am not booking anything fancy and trying to keep it under $100 a night. Also looking for a place that has included breakfast so my Dad can eat when he needs to, to control his Diabetes.

    It looks like they have Best Westerns at every location and they all include a full breakfast, not just a continental.

    I will post my hotel info for anyone who wants to stay in the same places.

    Here is a link to the site: http://www.hotrod.com/events/power-tour/
    Venetian Blue 1995 5 Spd...............No ET
    Orange Crush Pearl 1995 Auto SC........11.175 @ 121.85 MPH
    462.54 rwhp, 461.42 tq
    Garage:http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage_v..._vehicle&id=13

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    KSRQ
    Posts
    5,153
    Quote Originally Posted by Quik95SC View Post
    That is great Ira! Looking forward to seeing you, Tim, Chris and anyone else who wants to join in. Registration isn't even open yet, but should be on or about Jan 15th.

    I will be booking hotel rooms this week. I am not booking anything fancy and trying to keep it under $100 a night. Also looking for a place that has included breakfast so my Dad can eat when he needs to, to control his Diabetes.

    It looks like they have Best Westerns at every location and they all include a full breakfast, not just a continental.

    I will post my hotel info for anyone who wants to stay in the same places.

    Here is a link to the site: http://www.hotrod.com/events/power-tour/
    Got your PM Smitty, thanks. Please post up your hotels, since you are already waaay ahead of me when it comes to preparing for this. But it is on the calendar, so that's a start.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Clarksville, TN
    Posts
    1,743

    Hotel info

    Everyone,
    Here is my hotel info in case folks want to try and stay together. I didn't choose really expensive places nor super cheap ones either. I don't have any rewards points with any of these places. My total cost for all 8 nights I am staying at hotels is roughly $645, so roughly $80 a night. Not too bad really.

    All have at least a Continental breakfast, some have a full hot breakfast. I am doing the tour with my Dad and he likes to be up as the ~~~ crack of dawn for some silly reason! Anyway here is where I am staying. I used my military/government option if the prices were lower than a normal booking would be. Some were and some weren't any different. Some are actually higher because they know those staying on a Gov't rate get a certain amount for that area, so they max it out when they can.

    On the last hotel (Friday) I drove about 30 minutes away from the venue towards my drive home on Saturday, so it may be of some help to some and not so much for others.

    Friday, June 8: Bowling Green, KY @ Beech Bend Raceway Park
    Saturday, June 9: Bowling Green, KY @ Beech Bend Raceway Park
    Wingate by Wyndham 185 Greenwood Ln. Bowling Green, KY (270) 842-3800

    Sunday, June 10: Chattanooga, TN @ Chattanooga State Community College
    Days Inn Chattanooga. Lookout Mountain West 3801 Cummings Hwy Chattanooga, TN 37419 (270) 781-6470

    Monday, June 11: Birmingham, AL @ Hoover metropolitan Stadium
    Days Inn Birmingham 4627 Highway 280 Birmingham, Alabama 35242 (205)-991-9977

    Tuesday, June 12: Hampton, GA @ Atlanta Motor Speedway
    Quality Inn & Suites, 930 Highway 155 South McDonough, GA, 30253 (770) 957-5291

    Wednesday, June 13: Darlington, SC @ Darlington Raceway
    Baymont Inn and Suites 1826 West Lucas St. Florence, SC 29501 (843) 468-9994

    Thursday, June 14: Raleigh, NC @ PNC Arena
    Best Western Plus 1722 Walnut St. Cary, NC 27511 (919) 481-1200

    Friday, June 15: Concord, NC @ zMax Dragway (Charlotte Motor Speedway)
    Comfort Suites 1874 Remount Rd. Gastonia, NC 28054 (704) 865-6688
    Last edited by Quik95SC; 01-10-2018 at 11:21 AM.
    Venetian Blue 1995 5 Spd...............No ET
    Orange Crush Pearl 1995 Auto SC........11.175 @ 121.85 MPH
    462.54 rwhp, 461.42 tq
    Garage:http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage_v..._vehicle&id=13

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Clarksville, TN
    Posts
    1,743

    Updated Venues for Chatt and Raligh

    All,
    I have updated the posts with the venues for both Chattanooga, TN and Raleigh, NC

    Chattanooga is going to be @ Chattanooga State Community College
    Raleigh, NC is going be @ PNC Arena


    I will try and start a poll for those who think they might be going or making an appearance so we can get an idea who might be interested.

    Smitty
    Venetian Blue 1995 5 Spd...............No ET
    Orange Crush Pearl 1995 Auto SC........11.175 @ 121.85 MPH
    462.54 rwhp, 461.42 tq
    Garage:http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage_v..._vehicle&id=13

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Posts
    3,271
    Shame they have yet to update the itinerary on the HRPT web page. My question might easily be answered by those who have completed this years prior.

    The first location on the tour, is there a certain check in time for registration? Also the last stop is there a set time when they announce the finish and people roll out? I ask these questions mainly for the purposes of my own lodging, as I could save 2 nights of hotel expense potentially.

    -Tim
    Current Collection
    1994 Thunderbird SC - Auto converted to 5spd

    1995 Thunderbird SC - Auto

    1994 Thunderbird SC - 5spd
    1989 Thunderbird SC - 5spd - Daily Driver
    1990 Thunder/Cougar XR7 - 5spd
    1994 Thunderbird SC - 3v Project

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    6,427
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Groth View Post
    Shame they have yet to update the itinerary on the HRPT web page. My question might easily be answered by those who have completed this years prior.

    The first location on the tour, is there a certain check in time for registration? Also the last stop is there a set time when they announce the finish and people roll out? I ask these questions mainly for the purposes of my own lodging, as I could save 2 nights of hotel expense potentially.

    -Tim
    In years past, if we had to travel far to get to the start, we would roll into town the night before so we could check in either the day before or beat the crowd on the day of. As for the end, if you stick around for the Long Haul goodies, it will be a full day. I don't think we left the show field until after 5 pm. I think we could have made the drives home, but after spending a week in the car we opted to stay the night at the last stop and drive home the next morning.
    Kurt K (e-mail)
    SCCoA Member #: 443
    '92 SC AOD -- 11.521s @ 116.748mph, 2.0 AR power
    . . . . . . . . . -- 13.547s @ 101.01 mph, only w/ bolt-ons
    '95 SC 5spd -- All Stock, except 17" Simmons wheels.
    '90 SC 35th Anny 5spd -- 3rd owner, 16k miles
    2 '89 XR7 5spd's -- on their way out, really!

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Posts
    3,271
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt K View Post
    In years past, if we had to travel far to get to the start, we would roll into town the night before so we could check in either the day before or beat the crowd on the day of. As for the end, if you stick around for the Long Haul goodies, it will be a full day. I don't think we left the show field until after 5 pm. I think we could have made the drives home, but after spending a week in the car we opted to stay the night at the last stop and drive home the next morning.
    Thanks for the reply. The longest leg of the trip for me is to KY @ 7 1/2 hours. I noticed Smitty was arriving the night before so it made me wonder if I should as well. I have family in Knoxville TN so I suppose I will crash there the night before and drive the 3 hours in.

    On the other end of the trip I am 3 hours from Charlotte NC so departure at 5pm isn't that bad (gives the option unless otherwise wore out).

    Looking at all angles so the wife doesn't want to kill me for going on a 8 day trip while she tends to the 1 year old on her own. I figure cost will become one of her arguing points.

    Thanks.

    -Tim
    Current Collection
    1994 Thunderbird SC - Auto converted to 5spd

    1995 Thunderbird SC - Auto

    1994 Thunderbird SC - 5spd
    1989 Thunderbird SC - 5spd - Daily Driver
    1990 Thunder/Cougar XR7 - 5spd
    1994 Thunderbird SC - 3v Project

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    6,589
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Groth View Post
    I figure cost will become one of her arguing points.
    No worries - she'll get it back after the divorce.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Clarksville, TN
    Posts
    1,743
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Groth View Post
    Thanks for the reply. The longest leg of the trip for me is to KY @ 7 1/2 hours. I noticed Smitty was arriving the night before so it made me wonder if I should as well. I have family in Knoxville TN so I suppose I will crash there the night before and drive the 3 hours in.

    On the other end of the trip I am 3 hours from Charlotte NC so departure at 5pm isn't that bad (gives the option unless otherwise wore out).

    Looking at all angles so the wife doesn't want to kill me for going on a 8 day trip while she tends to the 1 year old on her own. I figure cost will become one of her arguing points.

    Thanks.

    -Tim
    Tim,
    I am going up sometime Friday just in time to make it to registration, so I don't have to worry about doing it in on Saturday Morning. and rather than coming back home (only 1:15 for me) I am going to stay the night in Bowling Green. I have to keep reminding myself I am bringing my 77 year old Dad with me, so I am trying to make it as easy as I can on him and good nights sleep without having to get up really early is worth it to me.

    I think the total for all hotels is around $645 for the entire tour including the 2 nights in BG and the last night in Concord, NC. Like Kurt said it is a full day on the last day and I didn't even stay for the long haulers stuff last year, so a good nights sleep seemed like a good idea. My trip back is like your trip getting there at about 7.5 hrs to get home.

    Regular Long Haul Registration is $129, and Gold package is $375. I am thinking about doing the Gold package only to get preferred parking at all the venues for my Dad. You also get lunch at the first venue and a special Gold member gift, but other than that it is the same as the regular long hauler stuff. He is mobile and walked all around Disney in December, but this will be 7 days straight, not just 1.

    Kurt, Keeping in mind my Dads age, do you think the gold package with preferred parking is worth the extra $250. I am really not convinced it will be.

    Smitty
    Venetian Blue 1995 5 Spd...............No ET
    Orange Crush Pearl 1995 Auto SC........11.175 @ 121.85 MPH
    462.54 rwhp, 461.42 tq
    Garage:http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage_v..._vehicle&id=13

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Clarksville, TN
    Posts
    1,743

    Registration is Open

    All,
    Registration is open for the 2018 HRPT.

    Link: http://www.hotrod.com/events/power-tour/

    Just a quick break down:

    PARTICIPANT PRICING

    All Power Tour registrations will receive a Motor Trend on Demand 14 day free trial. Details will be emailed to you in the coming weeks

    VIP Platinum Package: $2,250 (limited number available). Two (2) VIP credentials, One (1) vehicle entry at all venues, Seven (7) nights hotel accommodation, One (1) goody bag with bonus VIP Platinum gift, Access to Platinum lounge with water and snacks, Meet n Greet with HOT ROD staff and editors at VIP Dinner, VIP Dinner at Kick-off city, Hospitality lunch provided at one venue during the week, Preferred parking at venues, One (1) $125 gift card for lunches, Long-hauler finisher plaque (will receive if checked-in at all 7 stops) - 1 plaque per credential, Long-Hauler finisher certificate, Access to 'Long-hauler only' giveaways on-site.

    Gold Club: $375 (limited number available). Includes vehicle entry at all venues, Two (2) VIP credentials, preferred parking at all venues, one goody bag with bonus Gold Club gift, Hospitality lunch provided at first venue, Long-hauler finisher plaque (will receive if checked-in at all 7 stops) - 1 plaque per credential, Long-Hauler finisher certificate, Access to 'Long-hauler only' giveaways on-site.

    Long Hauler: $129. Includes vehicle entry at all venues, Two (2) VIP credentials, parking at all venues (1 vehicle), One (1) goody bag with giveaways, Long-hauler finisher plaque (will receive if checked-in at all 7 stops) - 1 plaque per credential, Long-Hauler finisher certificate, Access to 'Long-hauler only' giveaways on-site.

    NOTE: Long Hauler package will only be available for collection at the first stop- if a Long Hauler package is purchased and not collected at the first stop the package (including credential) will default to the Multi-Day package.

    Multi-day pre-registration: $129/Multi-day onsite registration: $160 (June 1), Includes two (2) multi-day credentials, vehicle entry at all venues (1 vehicle), one (1) goody bag with giveaways.

    NOTE: this package does not receive the long hauler plaque or long hauler specific giveaways. If you want to be a part of long hauler items please register for the long hauler package.

    Single Day pre-registration: $45/single day onsite registration: $50 (June 1), Hang with the largest road trip in the world for a day. Onsite parking, license plate and dash plaque.
    Venetian Blue 1995 5 Spd...............No ET
    Orange Crush Pearl 1995 Auto SC........11.175 @ 121.85 MPH
    462.54 rwhp, 461.42 tq
    Garage:http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage_v..._vehicle&id=13

Similar Threads

  1. 2012 HRPT - Miami, OK (Stop #5) June 6
    By Kurt K in forum SCCoA Events
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-07-2012, 09:09 AM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-06-2012, 04:49 AM
  3. 2012 HRPT - Muskegon, MI (Stop #2) June 3
    By Kurt K in forum SCCoA Events
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-03-2012, 07:44 PM
  4. 2012 HRPT - Detroit (Stop #1) June 1&2
    By Kurt K in forum SCCoA Events
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-03-2012, 06:31 AM
  5. 2012 HRPT - Champaign, IL (Stop #3) June 4
    By Kurt K in forum SCCoA Events
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-15-2012, 10:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •