90 ABS trunk package tray..?..

tbirdsc35th

George, someone ? :) On my 35th, I have noticed that the drivers side plastic bracket is broken on the ABS controller package tray in the trunk where the push pin is. I have read the shop manual but I can't seem to figure out how to unhook the other side of the tray and drop it down. Can you help? I would swear that the passenger side is bolted in place at two places and I would have to remove the interior rear tray to get to them. Whatever though, I would like to see what I can do to repair the drivers side bracket and I want to check the connections on the controller. Can you check the ABS at the test connector similarly to the way you check the EEC under the hood? Also there is another square box in that relay tray that is connecting to the radio amp. What is that component? I haven't seen it mentioned so far in the manuals. Or am I misinformed that the subwoofer has it's own amp? I'm still learning things. thanks for any help on these items, guys.

Have a great week.

The JBL amp is on the right side in the trunk tray and has a connector going to the sub-woofer. Premuim Sound has no sub ans a different amp w/no connector. To remove the whole tray, you pull out the plastic pin on the left side and pull down hard on the right side. The right side has 2 clips that just unsnap. The center computer module is the tranciever and the left 1 is for the ride control. Good Luck

vancouverBC, I thank you. I just have never removed that tray before. My 35th was bumped in the rear prior to my purchasing it and this tray may have been jolted and broke that flange. I didn't want to break anything else. My yellow ABS light has started staying on again and I think it's a connection problem. Fiddling with it tonight I actually got the antilock light to not come on at all. My best to you.

A '90 might be different than an '89 but...

For what it's worth, there are 2 studs on the passenger end of the tray in an '89. You have to lift up the package tray carpet & use a 10mm socket on the nuts. There are about 5 clips that hold the rest, one is hidden at the front edge of the package tray.

I have a tray removed from an '89, need pics?

'bird

Hi, 'bird.

Well it sure looks like the way you describe it. I was reading the manual again and it says to unlock that drivers side pin and then reach inside the tray if you want to remove the controller and such. The passenger side looks to be bolted for sure. I've pulled on it a bit and it isn't budging so it has to be bolted. It's odd but I can't see where the manual tells you how to actually remove the tray. It does show though that there are two threaded studs on the passenger side pointing up so that's why I figured it was bolted. Either way yes I would like some pics of this if you have them. I will put them in a folder under maintenance procedures for my car. Thanks, guy.

Well "bird, I got the tray pulled down and I see how it pivots at the passenger side. You can drop the driver's side all the way down to the trunk floor and get to everything. The driver's side mounting bracket is pretty well snapped at the end so I used zipties to hold it up in place.

Can you tell me if there is a way to pull the codes from the ABS system without using a tester like you can with the EEC? My amber light is staying on again and I just don't see anything visually that could be a problem. Pump isn't overruning and the fluid is fine. Brakes work fine too. Pulling the codes would help me figure it out. Thanks.

Here's a pic of the tray. You might want to post seperately about those codes.

'bird

Attachments

• tray1086a.jpg
    tray1086a.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 488
Good Picture

Hey TBird88
Thanks for the photo - told me what I was looking for tonight. I am going to take the tray down on my 95' and mount the amplifier and ABS computer directly on the steel (carefully) - this will free up 2-3" of vertical height in the trunk.
Were you able to get the 10mm nuts without removing the seat etc? I am able to touch one of them through the Sub opening.
Pete Roy

Re: Good Picture

Originally posted by Peterdroy66
Hey TBird88
Thanks for the photo - told me what I was looking for tonight. I am going to take the tray down on my 95' and mount the amplifier and ABS computer directly on the steel (carefully) - this will free up 2-3" of vertical height in the trunk.
Were you able to get the 10mm nuts without removing the seat etc? I am able to touch one of them through the Sub opening.
Pete Roy
They're hidden under the carpet that covers the package tray. Pull the lower seat cushion, take out the bolts that hold the upper cushion in, slide it up (vertically) and set aside, then lift the edge of the carpet and you'll see the nuts.
Room is tight, 1/4" ratchet w/socket works best.

'bird

Well "bird, I got the tray pulled down and I see how it pivots at the passenger side. You can drop the driver's side all the way down to the trunk floor and get to everything. The driver's side mounting bracket is pretty well snapped at the end so I used zipties to hold it up in place.

Rehashing this because I didn't see a definitive explanation. Can you just remove the push pin on the driver's side of the package tray and then swing it down? Or do you have take off the two nuts on the passengers side too? Just checking before i force anything and or needlessly remove the rear seat.

Can you just remove the push pin on the driver's side of the package tray and then swing it down?
Yes.

For service access, it's made to hinge from one end, after you un-socket the push pin on the other.
SC_PackageTray03.jpg

Last edited:
Removing the tray

Hi guys, I have a 91, I already remove the subwoofer, but I can not figure out how to remove the amplifier. I will appreciate your help.

Thanks

image1 (8).jpeg
image0 (6).jpeg

I already remove the subwoofer, but I can not figure out how to remove the amplifier.

Isn't the sub amp simply bolted to a bracket on the bottom of the sub box w/8mm or 10mm nuts?

attachment.php

attachment.php

Or are you asking about the radio amp that sits inside the swing down tray? Read the thread above for details...there is a push-pin on the driver's side and when it is released, the tray hinges on the pass. side. Without going to a lot more work, that's all the access you'll get. As I recall, the radio amp is just held in place by plastic tabs that you need to push on gently to release the amp.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Hi KMT, I am trying to see why my audio is not working and I am in the process of testing all the systems. I read that there are two amplifiers, one for the subwoofer and a primary amplifier for the speakers.

I already remove the subwoofer and I have access to the subwoofer/amp and also the subwoofer (I should've removed only the amplifier, but I already took the whole unit down)....

But I cannot figure out, how to remove the main amplifier. I read the SM and it says: "remove the screw retaining the relay panel in luggage compartment" ,

which screw?

Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 9.44.23 PM.png

There is no 'screw'. The image you added is not applicable to this process.

This thread already talks in detail about how to lower the package tray, but I'll go over it again.

My 1990 Factory Service Manual says this:

Control Module/Relays
NOTE: The control module and relays are located on package tray in luggage compartment.
Removal
1. Ensure that ignition switch is in the OFF position.
2. Locate pushpin on left side of tray. Disengage pushpin.
3. Swing tray down using slight force.

Installation
1. Place module or relay securely into retaining clips on tray.
2. Connect wiring connector.
3. Swing tray up, locate slot with metal clip. Use slight force to engage metal clip.
4. Insert pushpin and secure into flanged hole.

To repeat, there is a black plastic pushpin retainer (the round head is about 1" in diameter so you can grab it with your fingers) on the driver's side, middle of the outside edge of the tray, where it sits up against the horizontal sheetmetal behind the backseat bolster. It might be easier to see if you fold down the seat back, lay on your back and use a flashlite to help spot it, or climb into the trunk, whichever is easiest as long as you can look at the end of the tray towards the driver's side shock. Should be a simple process when you know where to look.

• See attached image below from the manual that shows the pushpin (12-32-18, accessing the ABS controller).

• Look at the photos of the tray, out of the car, above. The arrow on the left in comment #7:http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?13955-90-ABS-trunk-package-tray&p=74711#post74711 points to the flange on the tray where the retainer goes thru.

• Look also at the top of the photo of the tray that I added.

Grab the head of the pin and pull it down slightly until it unlocks, then pull down on the tray just enough to unseat the slotted metal clip, just be ready to hold the tray in case it wants to drop on that end and smack you in the head...might be the wiring harnesses will keep that from happening, just be aware. At this point you can lower that end of the tray and gain access to the wiring, relays, modules and JBL amp. The other end of the tray is hinged and won't come down as part of this process.

Before I figured out that one end of the tray would come down, I seem to recall just pushing up on the amp until it snapped out of the plastic retainers (without dropping the tray), then fishing it down and out thru the large hole underneath it on that end of the tray, removing the connectors as needed to gain access and get it out.

If you insist on removing the -entire tray-, you also have to remove the two bolts that hold the tray hinge on the pass. side, from the top, inside the car, by lifting the material over the sheetmetal behind the bolster - don't forget the contents of the tray connect to wiring harnesses and you won't just be able to take the tray and contents straight from the trunk. Not something I recommend casually.

As for wanting to troubleshoot the components, AFAIK, failures to the factory JBL system (throughly discussed here in the past) routinely involve either the head unit or the CD player, board level, so unless you have the skills to do those kinds of electronics repairs, and you've already gone thru both the head unit and the CD player, outside of all this being a good learning experience, you may be wasting your time checking the amps. I think the amps won't power up if the head unit is dead, but I'd still check fuses and wiring. If you decide you want to buy another/either factory JBL amp, place an ad in the want-to-buy section and I'll check my inventory.

If you do have board level electronic repair skills, I suspect there are others that will pay you to repair their JBL head units/CD players.

Last edited:
Thanks KTM, I was able to access the amplifier! The image 12-32-18 was very helpful... I searched the SM the audio section and I couldn't figure out how to remove the tray.

The head unit was not working, I replaced the capacitors and I think it is working; it is turning on and the scan feature is working. I will review the information for the other components. I will send you a separate email, I am buying parts and before I go to ebay I will like to check your inventory.

Thanks.

That's good news, thanks for the follow up and good luck w/your project.

...just noticed this thread started 18 years ago.

Back