Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 90 ABS trunk package tray..?..

90 ABS trunk package tray..?..

George, someone ? :-) On my 35th, I have noticed that the drivers side plastic bracket is broken on the ABS controller package tray in the trunk where the push pin is. I have read the shop manual but I can't seem to figure out how to unhook the other side of the tray and drop it down. Can you help? I would swear that the passenger side is bolted in place at two places and I would have to remove the interior rear tray to get to them. Whatever though, I would like to see what I can do to repair the drivers side bracket and I want to check the connections on the controller. Can you check the ABS at the test connector similarly to the way you check the EEC under the hood? Also there is another square box in that relay tray that is connecting to the radio amp. What is that component? I haven't seen it mentioned so far in the manuals. Or am I misinformed that the subwoofer has it's own amp? I'm still learning things. thanks for any help on these items, guys.

Have a great week.

90 ABS trunk package tray..?..

The JBL amp is on the right side in the trunk tray and has a connector going to the sub-woofer. Premuim Sound has no sub ans a different amp w/no connector. To remove the whole tray, you pull out the plastic pin on the left side and pull down hard on the right side. The right side has 2 clips that just unsnap. The center computer module is the tranciever and the left 1 is for the ride control. Good Luck

vancouverBC, I thank you. I just have never removed that tray before. My 35th was bumped in the rear prior to my purchasing it and this tray may have been jolted and broke that flange. I didn't want to break anything else. My yellow ABS light has started staying on again and I think it's a connection problem. Fiddling with it tonight I actually got the antilock light to not come on at all. My best to you.

A '90 might be different than an '89 but...

For what it's worth, there are 2 studs on the passenger end of the tray in an '89. You have to lift up the package tray carpet & use a 10mm socket on the nuts. There are about 5 clips that hold the rest, one is hidden at the front edge of the package tray.

I have a tray removed from an '89, need pics?

'bird

Hi, 'bird.

Well it sure looks like the way you describe it. I was reading the manual again and it says to unlock that drivers side pin and then reach inside the tray if you want to remove the controller and such. The passenger side looks to be bolted for sure. I've pulled on it a bit and it isn't budging so it has to be bolted. It's odd but I can't see where the manual tells you how to actually remove the tray. It does show though that there are two threaded studs on the passenger side pointing up so that's why I figured it was bolted. Either way yes I would like some pics of this if you have them. I will put them in a folder under maintenance procedures for my car. Thanks, guy.

Well "bird, I got the tray pulled down and I see how it pivots at the passenger side. You can drop the driver's side all the way down to the trunk floor and get to everything. The driver's side mounting bracket is pretty well snapped at the end so I used zipties to hold it up in place.

Can you tell me if there is a way to pull the codes from the ABS system without using a tester like you can with the EEC? My amber light is staying on again and I just don't see anything visually that could be a problem. Pump isn't overruning and the fluid is fine. Brakes work fine too. Pulling the codes would help me figure it out. Thanks.

Here's a pic of the tray. You might want to post seperately about those codes.

'bird
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Good Picture

Hey TBird88
    Thanks for the photo - told me what I was looking for tonight. I am going to take the tray down on my 95' and mount the amplifier and ABS computer directly on the steel (carefully) - this will free up 2-3" of vertical height in the trunk.
    Were you able to get the 10mm nuts without removing the seat etc? I am able to touch one of them through the Sub opening.
    Pete Roy

Re: Good Picture

Originally posted by Peterdroy66
    Hey TBird88
    Thanks for the photo - told me what I was looking for tonight. I am going to take the tray down on my 95' and mount the amplifier and ABS computer directly on the steel (carefully) - this will free up 2-3" of vertical height in the trunk.
    Were you able to get the 10mm nuts without removing the seat etc? I am able to touch one of them through the Sub opening.
    Pete Roy
    They're hidden under the carpet that covers the package tray. Pull the lower seat cushion, take out the bolts that hold the upper cushion in, slide it up (vertically) and set aside, then lift the edge of the carpet and you'll see the nuts.
    Room is tight, 1/4" ratchet w/socket works best.

'bird

Quote Originally Posted by tbirdsc35th View Post
    Well "bird, I got the tray pulled down and I see how it pivots at the passenger side. You can drop the driver's side all the way down to the trunk floor and get to everything. The driver's side mounting bracket is pretty well snapped at the end so I used zipties to hold it up in place.
    Rehashing this because I didn't see a definitive explanation. Can you just remove the push pin on the driver's side of the package tray and then swing it down? Or do you have take off the two nuts on the passengers side too? Just checking before i force anything and or needlessly remove the rear seat.

Can you just remove the push pin on the driver's side of the package tray and then swing it down?
    Yes.

For service access, it's made to hinge from one end, after you un-socket the push pin on the other.
    Name:  SC_PackageTray03.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  25.2 KB
    Last edited by KMT; 07-08-2015 at 09:15 PM.

Alright, thanks KMT, I'll give that a try.

Removing the tray

Hi guys, I have a 91, I already remove the subwoofer, but I can not figure out how to remove the amplifier. I will appreciate your help.

Thanks

Name:  image1 (8).jpeg
Views: 40
Size:  82.2 KB
    Name:  image0 (6).jpeg
Views: 40
Size:  94.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by yayo_ayala View Post
    I already remove the subwoofer, but I can not figure out how to remove the amplifier.
    Isn't the sub amp simply bolted to a bracket on the bottom of the sub box w/8mm or 10mm nuts?

Or are you asking about the radio amp that sits inside the swing down tray? Read the thread above for details...there is a push-pin on the driver's side and when it is released, the tray hinges on the pass. side. Without going to a lot more work, that's all the access you'll get. As I recall, the radio amp is just held in place by plastic tabs that you need to push on gently to release the amp.
    Last edited by KMT; 05-18-2020 at 08:47 PM.

Hi KMT, I am trying to see why my audio is not working and I am in the process of testing all the systems. I read that there are two amplifiers, one for the subwoofer and a primary amplifier for the speakers.

I already remove the subwoofer and I have access to the subwoofer/amp and also the subwoofer (I should've removed only the amplifier, but I already took the whole unit down)....

But I cannot figure out, how to remove the main amplifier. I read the SM and it says: "remove the screw retaining the relay panel in luggage compartment" ,

which screw?

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 9.44.23 PM.png
Views: 36
Size:  319.5 KB