Thread: Coin holder missing piece

Coin holder missing piece

Hey guys.

I'm currently using my SC as a daily driver (until the snow falls) & I'd love to use the coin holder because I can pay for parking at the train station in nickels & dimes. However, I believe at least one piece of the holder is missing - the bottom part that is spring loaded & holds the coins in place. I'm not having any luck finding a replacement tray online, so I'm considering rigging something up. This tray seems to be similar to the one in my Dad's old Tempo (maybe Taurus, too?) - any thoughts on what other cars had something similar. Am I in fact only missing one piece or are there a couple pieces that attach to the underside of the tray?

Attachment 68013
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I'd think they'd be relatively common - Taurus and Honda use them. You're looking for the cup and coin holders as one unit. I'd not bother trying to repair the one you have.

eBay example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-1995-F...gAAOSwt5hYfDYX

eBay is a bit pricey on these, I think. Junkyard should be a lot less, and there should be plenty of donors.

Of no one else here has one, pm me & I'll check my inventory.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by KMT View Post
    I'd think they'd be relatively common - Taurus and Honda use them. You're looking for the cup and coin holders as one unit. I'd not bother trying to repair the one you have. eBay is a bit pricey on these, I think.
    I've been seeing the entire unit go for around $50, so that auction is actually the cheapest I've seen. Thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by KMT View Post
    Junkyard should be a lot less, and there should be plenty of donors.
    One would think, but every MN12 I've poked thru in a yard that had the cup/coin option or a VMM was missing both of those items by the time I got to it. But I'll hit you up if no one else has any other solutions. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Rancor Keeper View Post
    I've been seeing the entire unit go for around $50, so that auction is actually the cheapest I've seen.
    wow - I'll have to add them to my list next time I hit the yards.

One would think, but every MN12 I've poked thru in a yard that had the cup/coin option or a VMM was missing both of those items by the time I got to it
    Taurus - '90 ~ '95, I think. Maybe similar years Honda.
    Last edited by KMT; 11-28-2017 at 09:46 PM.

You likely won't find that in any MN12 in the junkyard because it wasn't an option in any MN12. If you have that in yours, someone retrofitted one from a Taurus into your car.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
    You likely won't find that in any MN12 in the junkyard because it wasn't an option in any MN12.
    Really? I never realized that - I've seen them in so many cars at shows & nearly every SC I looked at before I bought mine either had the cd player or the coin/cup holder. Must've been a popular mod back in the day.

I guess people are removing the storage bin in all the junkyard cars I've looked through - the cd player is always intact.

I installed an Alpine 5.1 center speaker in the lower DIN slot, and put a cup holder/coin bin unit in the dress panel for my sub fuse and cap in the trunk, just for grins.