Coin holder missing piece

Rancor Keeper

Hey guys.

I'm currently using my SC as a daily driver (until the snow falls) & I'd love to use the coin holder because I can pay for parking at the train station in nickels & dimes. However, I believe at least one piece of the holder is missing - the bottom part that is spring loaded & holds the coins in place. I'm not having any luck finding a replacement tray online, so I'm considering rigging something up. This tray seems to be similar to the one in my Dad's old Tempo (maybe Taurus, too?) - any thoughts on what other cars had something similar. Am I in fact only missing one piece or are there a couple pieces that attach to the underside of the tray?

View attachment 68013

Attachments

• IMG_0060.jpg
    IMG_0060.jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 116
I'd think they'd be relatively common - Taurus and Honda use them. You're looking for the cup and coin holders as one unit. I'd not bother trying to repair the one you have. eBay is a bit pricey on these, I think.

I've been seeing the entire unit go for around $50, so that auction is actually the cheapest I've seen. Thanks for the link.

Junkyard should be a lot less, and there should be plenty of donors.

One would think, but every MN12 I've poked thru in a yard that had the cup/coin option or a VMM was missing both of those items by the time I got to it. But I'll hit you up if no one else has any other solutions. Thanks!

I've been seeing the entire unit go for around $50, so that auction is actually the cheapest I've seen.

wow - I'll have to add them to my list next time I hit the yards.

One would think, but every MN12 I've poked thru in a yard that had the cup/coin option or a VMM was missing both of those items by the time I got to it

Taurus - '90 ~ '95, I think. Maybe similar years Honda.

Last edited:
You likely won't find that in any MN12 in the junkyard because it wasn't an option in any MN12. If you have that in yours, someone retrofitted one from a Taurus into your car.

You likely won't find that in any MN12 in the junkyard because it wasn't an option in any MN12.

Really? I never realized that - I've seen them in so many cars at shows & nearly every SC I looked at before I bought mine either had the cd player or the coin/cup holder. Must've been a popular mod back in the day.

I guess people are removing the storage bin in all the junkyard cars I've looked through - the cd player is always intact.

I installed an Alpine 5.1 center speaker in the lower DIN slot, and put a cup holder/coin bin unit in the dress panel for my sub fuse and cap in the trunk, just for grins.

Back