Control arms and shocks/struts question

I've always just tightened them with it raised. Haven't seen any issues. Good to hear you got it sorted out.
Welp I'm a complete and utter dumbass. I over-greased my new lower ball joint. I can tell the boot cracked, and grease started oozing out of it. I was just about to put the wheels on too. Should I take it back and get a replacement (has a lifetime warranty)? Or is this not a big deal? Ugh this just really sucks. Sorry guys, the one thing i DIDNT ask, was how much to grease em.

Thank god I returned the Rockauto ones I bought, and these are the ones I bought from O'Reilly, and they have new ones in stock. But it's just gonna be a huge ~~~~ to get the shock back out, loosen everything, and do it all over again.

Last edited:
Just because grease came out doesn't mean the boot is cracked - has to go somewhere when it's full & that's how you know to stop. Wipe it off and double check.

Pretty crummy boot if it did crack and it's new, tho...

Just because grease came out doesn't mean the boot is cracked - has to go somewhere when it's full & that's how you know to stop. Wipe it off and double check.

Pretty crummy boot if it did crack and it's new, tho...

Yeah it's definitely torn. Straight rip right down the side. I did put ALOT of grease in it, probably like 10 pumps (I know, really dumb idea). They're Precision brand parts from O'Reilly, suggested by my mechanic. None of the other joints did this. I'd love to just buy a different brand but EVERYTHING I just put on the car is Precision brand, and there's NO WAY I'm undoing the entire job I've been working on for a month. Plus, I like being able to get a warranty part from a brick and mortar store.

It's also possible that there was some air in my grease gun (I did bleed the hose, but there may have been an air bubble) that increased the pressure in the joint enough for it to burst.

Last edited:
Back