Head gasket question

Legion

So I've heard that using 1998+ head gaskets on an SC will resolve the hg issue. Is this true? I didn't think it would work because the heads are different

So I've heard that using 1998+ head gaskets on an SC will resolve the hg issue. Is this true? I didn't think it would work because the heads are different

This thread has all the info you will need for the MLS gaskets. I know of several people that have used these MLS gaskets successfully without remachining the block surface (my self included). That said if rebuilding motor you definitely want the block surface as smooth as possible. In either case the heads must be resurfaced to be as smooth as possible and head studs are also needed. See the attached thread for surface RA, recommended sealer and torque specs.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?72873-MLS-head-gasket-options&highlight=MLS perma torque

David

Head gaskets

Thanks for replying but it seems more vague on the answer to my question will this stop the HG issue .yes my block surface is perfect and my heads have been resurfaced. I have not put them on yet as I am trying to figure this out on the 98+ mls gaskets

Thanks for replying but it seems more vague on the answer to my question will this stop the HG issue .yes my block surface is perfect and my heads have been resurfaced. I have not put them on yet as I am trying to figure this out on the 98+ mls gaskets

Stop it? No.

Help ameliorate it? Yes.

But too much pressure combined with driving like a fool will still manage to blow them. These just help raise the "Cut'er off, Henry, she's a'pumpin' mud!" point.

RwP

In order for a better gasket to "fix" the problem, it would have to be the gasket's fault in the first place.

An MLS gasket will end the problem of dissimilar metal expansion rate with respect to the iron block/aluminum head situation. MLS gaskets are also nearly immune from electrolysis so that problem is essentially eliminated as well.

The fact that all modern engines use MLS headgaskets, and a large percentage of them are turbocharged or supercharged lends credence to the above statements.

But increased boost, lousy fuel, clogged cats, ageing cooling systems, low coolant level in general, ageing/failing fuel pumps, partially clogged injectors, or any other number of supporting system failures common in these cars will blow even the best headgaskets. It doesn't help that Ford saw fit to set these cars up with an excessively aggressive tune that relies very heavily on a marginally functional knock sensor.

But having said all that, properly installed 98+ MLS headgaskets can be considered a permanent solution. Yes.

Back