Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: SHO Engine Transplant to SC

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Southern Calilfornia
    Posts
    91

    SHO Engine Transplant to SC

    I have a 93 SHO that is going to be parted out.
    The 3.2 engine runs great so I thought (after some beers) wouldn't it be great to hear that screaming SHO engine in my 93 Super Coupe.
    At least until the SC engine Is rebuilt.

    Has anyone gone off the deep end and swapped the motors?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Posts
    1,542
    It will be a disappointment. The yamaha V6 likes to rev, but doesn't have much in the way of low-end torque, and with an additional 800lbs to lug around compared to in the Taurus, it will be struggling all the time. Personally, if I ever had a spare SHO motor and a bunch of time on my hands, I would like to try to get it in the back of a Toyota MR2.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Palos Heights, IL (Chicago suburb)
    Posts
    61

    Swap it in, swap it out

    I'll sort of second what MadMikey said. I heard of a couple of Mustang guys who swapped the 3 liter motors into their SN-95s, looking to create light-weight road race cars. But that motor needed close to 5,000rpm to hit peak torque (which wasn't much), so they weren't anything special until you hit high rpms. I think they both pulled them out after a few months of tinkering. This was back in the late 90s when there weren't a lot of bolt-on options - maybe aftermarket support has changed since then.

    But probably not.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    71
    that'd be a kickass engine in a stripped-to-the-bones fox or some ~~~~box like a 90s Fiesta, LOL

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    183
    I kinda want to see one put into an SC with a twin turbo setup, with appropriately spec'd turbos. We'll never see it happen, but it's a cool thought experiment.

    Quote Originally Posted by speedingminivan View Post
    that'd be a kickass engine in a stripped-to-the-bones fox or some ~~~~box like a 90s Fiesta, LOL
    Check this out:

    https://youtu.be/3XR9SoQU16c
    '93 SC 5-speed, PTE 6062 powered

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Broken Arrow, Ok
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
    It will be a disappointment. The yamaha V6 likes to rev, but doesn't have much in the way of low-end torque, and with an additional 800lbs to lug around compared to in the Taurus, it will be struggling all the time. Personally, if I ever had a spare SHO motor and a bunch of time on my hands, I would like to try to get it in the back of a Toyota MR2.
    Boost it and its a whole different story. I have 3 SHO's a 91,92 and 98. My 91 would catch up with my dads old 89 SC after I got it going. My 98 SHO sounds amazing with the muffler and 3rd cat delete. Its also tuned so it shifts at 7,500 rpms which is cool, but my current 89 SC blows it away off the line.

    My 91 is rough. I let it go unfortunately, so I to want to find something to put it in. Maybe a fiero or something.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Palos heights, IL
    Posts
    2,540

    Got Boost?

    Tell you what, Take a F150 ecoboost out of a pick up and stuff it into you SC and now you get a Livernois tune 93+X tune $600 and you will have something to write home about.
    I have a 2012 MKS that will do 0-60 in 3.9 , 12.6 @ 108 mph. It`s a dam tank at 5000 pounds. Some guys are putting these into mustangs. I`m sure they are just making it RWD.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SF, CA
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by scbird1 View Post
    Tell you what, Take a F150 ecoboost out of a pick up and stuff it into you SC and now you get a Livernois tune 93+X tune $600 and you will have something to write home about.
    I have a 2012 MKS that will do 0-60 in 3.9 , 12.6 @ 108 mph. It`s a dam tank at 5000 pounds. Some guys are putting these into mustangs. I`m sure they are just making it RWD.
    I suspect THIS is a better answer given that Ecoboost engines
    a) are much more available compared to SHO engines after 20+ years
    b) are already setup for longitudinal installation (V6 SHOs will allegedly mate to a ranger transmission but I'm not sure what will work for the V8 SHO w/o an adapter plate. That's not going to be cheap)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Palos heights, IL
    Posts
    2,540
    My engine is transverse mounted and has all wheel drive the F150 will mount the correct way for a rwd platform. Sounds easy right but 425hp and 440tq sounds great and could be had cheap.

Similar Threads

  1. Looking at changing engine to SC
    By blindloser1080 in forum Technical Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-16-2006, 07:06 PM
  2. turn a base engine to sc
    By nrg in forum Technical Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-04-2006, 04:28 AM
  3. 4.6L SOHC Engine swap to 1995 5spd SC
    By SR71BLACKBIRD in forum Technical Forum
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 10-10-2005, 08:13 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-05-2005, 07:22 PM
  5. SC engine swap to 4.6L Cobra
    By 1970429 in forum Super Coupe Club of Western Canada
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-19-2004, 06:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •