SHO Engine Transplant to SC

matt59

I have a 93 SHO that is going to be parted out.
The 3.2 engine runs great so I thought (after some beers) wouldn't it be great to hear that screaming SHO engine in my 93 Super Coupe.
At least until the SC engine Is rebuilt.

Has anyone gone off the deep end and swapped the motors?

It will be a disappointment. The yamaha V6 likes to rev, but doesn't have much in the way of low-end torque, and with an additional 800lbs to lug around compared to in the Taurus, it will be struggling all the time. Personally, if I ever had a spare SHO motor and a bunch of time on my hands, I would like to try to get it in the back of a Toyota MR2.

Swap it in, swap it out

I'll sort of second what MadMikey said. I heard of a couple of Mustang guys who swapped the 3 liter motors into their SN-95s, looking to create light-weight road race cars. But that motor needed close to 5,000rpm to hit peak torque (which wasn't much), so they weren't anything special until you hit high rpms. I think they both pulled them out after a few months of tinkering. This was back in the late 90s when there weren't a lot of bolt-on options - maybe aftermarket support has changed since then.

But probably not.

It will be a disappointment. The yamaha V6 likes to rev, but doesn't have much in the way of low-end torque, and with an additional 800lbs to lug around compared to in the Taurus, it will be struggling all the time. Personally, if I ever had a spare SHO motor and a bunch of time on my hands, I would like to try to get it in the back of a Toyota MR2.

Boost it and its a whole different story. I have 3 SHO's a 91,92 and 98. My 91 would catch up with my dads old 89 SC after I got it going. My 98 SHO sounds amazing with the muffler and 3rd cat delete. Its also tuned so it shifts at 7,500 rpms which is cool, but my current 89 SC blows it away off the line.

My 91 is rough. I let it go unfortunately, so I to want to find something to put it in. Maybe a fiero or something.

Got Boost?

Tell you what, Take a F150 ecoboost out of a pick up and stuff it into you SC and now you get a Livernois tune 93+X tune $600 and you will have something to write home about.
I have a 2012 MKS that will do 0-60 in 3.9 , 12.6 @ 108 mph. It`s a dam tank at 5000 pounds. Some guys are putting these into mustangs. I`m sure they are just making it RWD.

Tell you what, Take a F150 ecoboost out of a pick up and stuff it into you SC and now you get a Livernois tune 93+X tune $600 and you will have something to write home about.
I have a 2012 MKS that will do 0-60 in 3.9 , 12.6 @ 108 mph. It`s a dam tank at 5000 pounds. Some guys are putting these into mustangs. I`m sure they are just making it RWD.

I suspect THIS is a better answer given that Ecoboost engines
a) are much more available compared to SHO engines after 20+ years
b) are already setup for longitudinal installation (V6 SHOs will allegedly mate to a ranger transmission but I'm not sure what will work for the V8 SHO w/o an adapter plate. That's not going to be cheap)

My engine is transverse mounted and has all wheel drive the F150 will mount the correct way for a rwd platform. Sounds easy right but 425hp and 440tq sounds great and could be had cheap.

Back