Moon roof instal

351tt

For anyone wanting to attempt this .
This is my 93 teal Thunderbird 5.0L , Chassis is completely rust free , very low K , but wanted a moon roof so from a complete donor roof I drilled out the spot welds , cut the sealers and peeled it off , did the same on the teal car, re straightened and cleaned up all the contact areas and bonded the donor panel back down .
So far looks pretty good , still have a little more prep to do on the roof, door dings and prep the bumper covers and the SC skirts that are going on , then paint . Thunderbird moonroof  install.jpg

Its been a slow project , but this is where its at , actually the doors , hood and trunk are back on , its basically ready for the paint booth to do the exterior finish .
The car may end up with a turbo , but want to drive it for a bit to make sure the drive train is all solid , its in the mid 70s Km , but has not been running in over a decade .
I doubt it will be but if the 302 is a problem , a 351 will go in .
Tentative paint is mid April , then the task of reassembling the car which includes complete interior including a completely disassembled [ was like that when I bought the car ] dash .

Attachments

• IMG_20190316_222640a.jpg
    IMG_20190316_222640a.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 499
I remember a guy named Wayne who built a Super Coupe with a turbo 351. He cooked his engine. I hope you succeed where he failed. Sorry, just couldn't resist. Founding member syndrome. :)

I remember Waynes turbo car , I built the turbo system for it .
Shortblock repairs were done ,I have it in my shop , its waiting for the right chassis to put it into .
The red car is the first road driven twin turbo system I built in the early 90s , the blue car is the SC twin I have mostly built but life got in the way , car was parked for years , chassis rotted, and now looking for a replacement roller , 94 and up .
I sold the red 87 Turbocoupe rolling chassis to a friend years ago , and just got it back a few weeks ago , we put a GN Turbo engine in it back then , but its coming out and the old twin 351W setup is going back in .
It was disappointing that Wayne got out of the hobby , but as most , we move on to bigger and better things .
There is a guy on the US side who is building up a very nice 351W based single turbo setup .
Anyone interested in turbocharged MN12 chassis should check it out .

I remember a guy named Wayne who built a Super Coupe with a turbo 351. He cooked his engine. I hope you succeed where he failed. Sorry, just couldn't resist. Founding member syndrome. :)

Attachments

• Twins2 (4).jpg
    Twins2 (4).jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 470
  • 351sc.jpg
    351sc.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 478
For those who have not seen this guys thread on his single turbo 351W SC down in the US, here it is .

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?139336-Derek-s-Project-GFP&highlight=gfp

Its a good read, lots of interesting stuff , a few hiccups but that's always in the game .
For those who don't want to fabricate the tougher stuff maybe he could be persuaded to make a bunch of manifolds with cross over and turbo mount for other members at a reasonable price .. that's the hardest part and from what I have seen he has done a great job.

Maybe I should have started a separate turbo V8 thread ?.

painted

So finally its painted ... RD colour code , teal green , the pics do not show the green very well for some reason.
Turned out pretty good for the old school booth that was used, end draft style ... it will get a cut and polish one day but that will be after we re assemble the car , I am sure there will be some oop's in that process that will need fixed .

Attachments

• IMG_20190413_184043a.jpg
    IMG_20190413_184043a.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 387
  • IMG_20190413_184058a.jpg
    IMG_20190413_184058a.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 402
So finally its painted ... RD colour code , teal green , the pics do not show the green very well for some reason.
Turned out pretty good for the old school booth that was used, end draft style ... it will get a cut and polish one day but that will be after we re assemble the car , I am sure there will be some oop's in that process that will need fixed .

Looks fabulous Dave. That's an awesome colour. Good work!

Denis

Thanks Denis, the boys and I did the moon roof conversion , but I can't take credit for the paint, a friend we ride dirt bikes with did the prep and paint .
This car has Al's hood, and I am pretty sure its Wayne's front bumper cover off his old SC and Bruce's donated roof [ thanks again Bruce ] , interior is being converted from original grey with white leather seats to black with black leather .

Looks fabulous Dave. That's an awesome colour. Good work!

Denis

Thanks , but again , Gord [ Super Gord ] did the paint and prep , there was no rust to deal with just a lot of door dings .. but for a guy that is a painter and as he says " not a body man " he did a pretty damn good job on the body prep .

You have 351 in your site name , do you have a 351 in your SC ?.

Looks amazing. Great job on the bodywork and paint.

Thanks , but again , Gord [ Super Gord ] did the paint and prep , there was no rust to deal with just a lot of door dings .. but for a guy that is a painter and as he says " not a body man " he did a pretty damn good job on the body prep .

You have 351 in your site name , do you have a 351 in your SC ?.

Used to plan on building one for a t-bird but changed plans and am going with with a 4.2 instead. Sold my 351w and all my v8 parts a few months back. It was going to be a 351 Clevor but I could never seem to get that project off the ground.

I recall back in the day those clevor combos were making big hp numbers, 400+ CI combos with the Cleveland heads were monsters.
It would have fit of course but it would be snug .

Used to plan on building one for a t-bird but changed plans and am going with with a 4.2 instead. Sold my 351w and all my v8 parts a few months back. It was going to be a 351 Clevor but I could never seem to get that project off the ground.

I recall back in the day those clevor combos were making big hp numbers, 400+ CI combos with the Cleveland heads were monsters.
It would have fit of course but it would be snug .

I had the block, crank, rods and heads for it for years upon years. Would have been fun but the parts went to a good home and I'm enjoying the challenge of working within the constraints of a v6 to build an equally outlandish amount of horsepower. I had planned on making a long rod clevor with a pair of turbo's on it.

An easy 1000+hp combo , the big valve 351C heads flowed huge air.
Are you still going turbos ? .

I had the block, crank, rods and heads for it for years upon years. Would have been fun but the parts went to a good home and I'm enjoying the challenge of working within the constraints of a v6 to build an equally outlandish amount of horsepower. I had planned on making a long rod clevor with a pair of turbo's on it.

Very cool .. Any pics ? .. if you have them, throw them up .
When I bought my first SC in I think it was 91 I wanted to turbo it , but had other projects , still would like to do one though , I have a warmed over Buick GN V6 here that may come available in the near future , would be a great swap into an SC chassis .. but at the moment the teal car and the 87 TB V8 twin turbo take priority .

Yup. The 4.2 will be turbocharged.

Very cool .. Any pics ? .. if you have them, throw them up .
When I bought my first SC in I think it was 91 I wanted to turbo it , but had other projects , still would like to do one though , I have a warmed over Buick GN V6 here that may come available in the near future , would be a great swap into an SC chassis .. but at the moment the teal car and the 87 TB V8 twin turbo take priority .

I started a thread a couple of weeks back to document my progress. http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?140624-Jeff-s-3-8-and-4-2-Projects Lots of pics in there.

Nice, I of course vote for turbo.. actually two.. even better, two factory GN units , they will spool reasonably well and make upwards of 700hp on a well built engine if that is your target range for power.
Kenny Duttweiler of monster 7 second GN V6 fame from the 80s and on built a 3.8 for a test engine and used two factory turbos , it made over 700hp on the engine dyno .

I started a thread a couple of weeks back to document my progress. http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?140624-Jeff-s-3-8-and-4-2-Projects Lots of pics in there.

Back