pulley size and ratio

johm hennessy

hi i am new to the forum but i think you guys can help with a problem i am experiencing.

i have a 2.3 duratec in line four, it has a sc eaton blower with a 3.2" pulley and my crankshaft pulley is 5.437" giving me a ratio of 1.7 to 1 compared to the sc with a crank pulley of 7" and the same blower pulley gives a ratio of about 2.2 to 1.

given that the duratec is about 2/3 the size of the super coupe would have thought that it would be in the ball park but it goes into boost really quick and as yet i have not found a way of feeding it enough fuel, i have white colored injectors and 65 lbs. of fuel pressure and it keeps going to 18 to 1 air fuel ratio when i hit the throttle wide open.

i have not been able to find out what size the injectors are, and i have an explorer in tank pump that returns in the tank.

i know from reading posts on your forum that you guys are knowledgeable about things boosted, so what am i missing here?

in hopes of some information i thank you in advance

Do you have a boost bypass valve plumbed in?

Might be helpful if you give us a little more info and some pics.

Last edited:
If the injectors have just a white top, they are 24#. If they are all white, they are only 17#. Either way, they probably aren't big enough. With only 4 injectors, you need them to be twice the size they would be on a v8, or 1.5 times what they would be on a v6 to make the same power. So considering that a 210hp 5.0 uses 19# injectors, and a 210hp v6 uses 30# injectors, you are going to need some 39# or 42# injectors just to support the same 210hp.

thank you for your responses,

you have confirmed what i had thought, so i will be going for some blue giants rated at 39 lb.
IMG_20171210_105256639 (2).jpgIMG_20171210_105313978 (3).jpgIMG_20171210_105329634 (2).jpgIMG_20171210_105353216 (2).jpgIMG_20171124_131455993 (2).jpg

here is a picture of the car
p2.jpg

i hand built the car about five years ago, not from a kit (real men don't use kits)

there is as much ford in it as is possible, duratec 2.3, 5 speed stick, merkur rear axle and front uprights, ranger steering column and engine management,, explorer gas tank, cosworth ford wheels

other parts used were saturn vue electric power steering, a porsche 914 steering rack, qa1 coilover shocks, seats from speedway motors as was the vintage sprint car nose and wilwood brakes

all the rest was hand fabricated in steel tube and sheet, aluminum and glass fiber, paint is basecoat clearcoat polyurathane, pin striping is in the paint

all the suspension is fully hiem jointed with no rubber bushings as is the remote shifter.

interior was trimmed by myself with the aid of my friend Keith the demon stitcher who also helped with the soft top

thanks John

Nice

Thought it was a catterham at first, sure it's a blast to drive, or will be when it's straightened out.

Great looking build. Check on turborangerforums.com There are several helpful guys on there very familar with the boosted 2.3 duratec platform. Air intake heat might be an issue with HEaton but contact Chris Salmon on there with fuel recommendations and tune. XR7Dave on here as well.

Back