Conflicting symptoms ...pinging and pig rich??

figulaz

SCCoA Member
My dads SC was pinging under load. He was at 1/4 tank when it first happened he and I figured it sloshed and went lean. He filled up and it was still happening. He brought it over and I saw a two huge vac leaks off the bat. We plugged them up and he said the idle under load was now smooth. We figured all was well and as he was pulling away and barked the tires and put some load on it and it was pinging bad but also a little black smoke. He circled back and I smelled sulfur (car has cats) He was leaning towards fouled plugs I was thinking bad gas as idle is smooth. He filled up at Arco. I’ve got a bad tank there before so maybe I’m biased car is on the ragged edge of “should be pinging” but never has. 92 auto 30# injectors. Late model blower early model pulley 5% js pulley double ic w puller fan AC delete 75mm TB ported early model manifolds stock exhaust Autolite 103s gapped to .032 (plugs kinda old truth be told 8-10k miles)He’s coming over tomorrow and I really don’t enjoy changing plugs on these:eek:

You have to disconnect the battery to clear memory as it has a lot of bad data in the EEC right now due to the vacuum leaks. Then also the pulleys you have are way too aggressive for a 94/5 SC so if the knock sensor isn't active it will ping badly. In order for the knock sensor to be active the engine has to be warmed first. Most likely when he took off it wasn't ready yet.

That being said, an engine can knock just as much when it's rich as when it's lean. Lean knock is more damaging typically.

Will do.

Thanks Dave. I"ll give that a try. We decided to run out the current tank this week and just stay out of boost. I'll have him disconnect it next time he uses it. I'm taking off the 5% js pulley as well next week end. Thanks

Back