Starter Problems

Guy Montaquila

Hi everyone, I have a 90SC that I bought a little over a year ago. I had to replace the starter a month after I got it and now the starter is acting up again. I can hear the solenoid energized but the engine doesn't crank. Is this a problem with rebuilt starters? The previous owner change it about a year before I bought it. Any advice??? Thanks.

SC starter

Thewire that engages the starter motor has a slip on connector. This tends to corrode. Pull the connector off and clean up the terminal. Newer starters have a screw type connection. One other thing may be a problem. On my 94mustang GT,Ihad a similar problem where the starter would just chatter when I turned the key. After much messing around trying to fix it I connected a ground strap from the starter mounting bolt to the frame of the car and I have not had a problem since.

I think what he's saying is that it could be the starter, but we, myself included, have had problems with the connections at the starter before. The small push on spade/tab connector can get dirty and make poor contact and then the starter won't turn. Its something to check first. Pull it off, clean the contacts, squeeze the spade with a pair of pliers just very very slightly so that it fits tighter, then try it out. If this doesn't clear up the problem, you can easily remove the starter and bench test it yourself, or take it to a auto parts store and have them test it.

Starter

I just changed my starter 2 days ago. The connection does get dirty so it does have to be cleaned. I purchased a brand new starter w/ a lifetime warranty from the auto parts store so I'm set in that area now. When installing it, I did have to modify the connector a little bit to fit the design of the new starter. Other than that, everything else fitted perfectly and now it works like a charm. Now it's time for me to change my oxygen sensor.

Back