Has anyone seen this?

SCspeedster

Hi everyone,
I was driving my SC yesterday when all of a sudden.. my sc snout started maiking noise. The noise sounded like what everyone describes here (from what I remember) sorta like marbles in a blender sound. I was upset because ive done nothing but spend all my time and money in this beauty for the last month and ahalf and its got me procrastinating getting back to work.. big time. I was sorta was expecting the snout to go out at same time because I recently got the car and it was bone stock (besides exhaust) and 1 of the things I did to it was put a 10% o.d. pulley on the supercharger I got from SCP. I figured the supercharger bearings etc.. would probably start going out soon being that it is 25 yrs old. with 79k miles on it and I assume the snout bearings etc... had probably never been changed.

About 2 weeks ago I ordered a aluminum sc 10% o.d. pulley from SCP. When it arrived I installed it, tightened down the nut as far as it could go that holds it and also put on the the correct shorter sc belt. I started the car and stared at it for awhile admiring my new boost and fortunatley did not drive away. As I was admiring it running I started smelling runbber, then I started seeing smoke, then my belt started coming all apart because it came off the pulley so I ran and turned my ignition off. In awe wondering what just happened, I noticed that the aluminum pulley I just installed had in and out play in it. I though maybe by chance the nut loosened up and I tried again to tighten it but was tightened down as far as the sc shafts threads could go. I pulled it off and started looking at the original sc pulley and noticed that the new aluminum pulley was not as wide (front to back) as the original and this was the cause for the problem. The nut was bottoming out on the sc threads, and could not go down far enough to hold the aluminum pulley tight in place like it should. I called SCP and explained what was up and I was bacically told that my snout is going out. I explained again.. and figured I would just put a washer on the end of the pulley before the nut which I did. The next day I had a new sc belt delivered (thanks to ebay) installed it all and I was good with my SC screaming down the street.

Fast forward to yesterday I was driving when I started hearing that sc snout noise at a idle or low rpm. I put my ear up to it and thought "well, looks like the snout bearings are going out". I removed the supercharger from the car and figured I would either order the snout rebuild kit or install a 94-95 Supercoupe super charger and plenum I got extra with the car that the previous owner never installed. I started to pull the tops off both superchargers just to compare the differences and could not do so on the 94-95s top because for some reason the bolts on are stripped. As I was thinking like it or not I might just send the 94-95 sc out (being that they are better) because I dont really know that much about them and am sorta overwhelmed working on all my rides and dont want to install it then have any kind of problems with it being so old even though I know I dont think they have to many problems.
As started looking at my original superchargers snout and that pulley, I noticed it had play in it. I though maybe again the nut came loose but again it was not. I pulled the crappy aluminum pulley off and noticed the alignment groove that slides had stripped the in the pulley. I reinstalled the supercharger with my original pulley and belt, started the car and it sounded perfect again. Ive been driving it all day today and as expected it's still good like it should be.
Has anyone seen this before???
I will call scp tomorrow also.
I want another 10% o.d. pulley on my car.

I had a steel 10% o.d. pulley years ago for my other SC and never had this problem. I wasn't happy to see this pulley aluminum when it arrived. I am going to try and post a pic of it here so you guys can see what I am talking about.
Thank you for your help

Attachments

• 20180420_133115.jpg
    20180420_133115.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 182
Good morning

The supercharger pulley is never installed by putting "max" torque to the snout nut causing the aluminum pulley to loose the tight press fit. Prior to removal you must count the number of protruding threads at the shaft. Installation should not drastically exceed the original thread count as described in the posts below.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthr...-info-or-links-on-supercharger-pulley-install

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?132359-removing-sc-snout-pulley

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?126969-Play-in-supercharger-pulley&p=1034131#post1034131

There was a time when people were so concerned with saving rotating weight that they all wanted aluminum pulleys to save weight. When that proved to be pointless, no one went back to making steel pulleys. Partly because the steel pulleys cost more to make. Aluminum can be ok, but it has to be hard anodized for wear, and it has no margin for error. When you started yours up and briefly ran it loose, it was ruined. Well, if it wasn't made right in the first place that's another problem, but the result is the same.

BTW, as far as tightening the pulley, the pulley needs to be held securely and the nut torqued to 65ftlbs. Do not use an impact wrench.

Hello, I didnt install it to tight. I held the pulley with belt on in 1 hand and turned the nut with a wrench with the other hand. As far as counting the threads, the new pulley is a different size and actually my snout didnt even have enough threads to hold it down tight (about 1/16 of an inch), thats why I used a washer and then it was tight.

After I removed it the 1st time because it didn't tighten down all the way when I started the car, I looked at it closely (being that it's regular aluminum) and it looked fine, particularly the line up groove. I guess maybe it had a error in there I didn't see.
Anyways I'm seeing other options for those pulleys online this morning and am planning on ordering 1 in a min..

I was more or less wondering if anyone has heard of it seen this problem on the sc o.d. aluminum pulley? Particularly because the nut on the snout tightened down all the way till it ran out of threads and the aluminum pulley still had play in it so I needed a spacer/washer to compensate the spacing.

Back