BHJ balancer - old timers need some help, spacer for 94-95 crank sensor

BlackbirdSC

I hope some of the old timers read this.. for others, maybe learn something? :)

The patient, the wrecked 95 SC I bought little over 2 years ago. Hit so hard on RF ground level concrete that the K member bent, snapped the steering rack and tire/suspension into firewall. Everything fixed and close to 'enhanced' PA inspection to get the salvage title updated. On a recheck of car finishing things up, noticed/remembered the crank pulley was dented when the car was wrecked. I figure the balancer has about 9 minutes till it breaks even though the car only has 70k miles and is stunningly stock and baby'd.

I have 2 of the very first run BHJ balancers. Patting self on back, I was the one that got BHJ to make the balancers in the first place and have 2 of the 5 made in that first batch. 1 of the units has never been installed. For the early runs of balancers, if they were being used on a 94-95, BHJ made a spacer ring to put the crank sensor in the right spot. I think it was about a 1/2". Anyone happen to have one of these to give me a spec? Worst case, I can use a friends lathe and Bridgeport to make my own after getting some measurements off the couple balancers I have around. I'm hoping that I can use a 302/351 pulley spacer as my stock material and just machine it to what I need. Something like this... 302/351 pulley spacer

Anybody remember these? I think the spacers were supplier into the middle 2000s when the 94-95s got their own part number.

Thanks,
Steve Webb

Last edited:
I hope some of the old timers read this.. for others, maybe learn something? :)

The patient, the wrecked 95 SC I bought little over 2 years ago. Hit so hard on RF ground level concrete that the K member bent, snapped the steering rack and tire/suspension into firewall. Everything fixed and close to 'enhanced' PA inspection to get the salvage title updated. On a recheck of car finishing things up, noticed/remembered the crank pulley was dented when the car was wrecked. I figure the balancer has about 9 minutes till it breaks even though the car only has 70k miles and is stunningly stock and baby'd.

I have 2 of the very first run BHJ balancers. Patting self on back, I was the one that got BHJ to make the balancers in the first place and have 2 of the 5 made in that first batch. 1 of the units has never been installed. For the early runs of balancers, if they were being used on a 94-95, BHJ made a spacer ring to put the crank sensor in the right spot. I think it was about a 1/2". Anyone happen to have one of these to give me a spec? Worst case, I can use a friends lathe and Bridgeport to make my own after getting some measurements off the couple balancers I have around. I'm hoping that I can use a 302/351 pulley spacer as my stock material and just machine it to what I need. Something like this... 302/351 pulley spacer

Anybody remember these? I think the spacers were supplier into the middle 2000s when the 94-95s got their own part number.

Thanks,
Steve Webb

Steve,
I remember the early days of these, as I bought two of them to get the group buy going (I think that may have been the 2nd run). I had never planned on running mine on a 94/95 SC, so I did not buy a spacer. I wonder if David Dalke or Bill Evanoff might have versions of each current 89-93 and 94-95 BHJ balancer on hand that they could get a measurement from? Or do the newer balancers differ enough that measuring differences wouldn't help?

FWIW, my original balancer is going strong. My 2nd "spare" one has been on Micah's car for several years now.

Thanks Kurt.

I have the 3 balancers I'd sent BHJ plus the one on the 95 now. So I'll hopefully be able to figure it out. My hope was someone that had bought one from the first couple group buys might remember what the spacer looked like.

I think George Davenport setup the group buy where you got yours with 17 units. Then there was another after that with 25 or so. That was when the Mustang guys got interested and the official PN came in a couple years later. And SuperSix Motorsports then 'claimed' to have developed an SFI approved balancer. All they did was take the original BHJ and have the center hub made of steel instead of iron. Then paid the SFI cert fee which I recall was $10,000. Was unnecessary to me since not many SCs can spin past 6,000 anyway. :)

Back