Metallic Noise While Running

nomind

So, I finally got the car all the way back together (for now) and when it's running, I'm hearing a metallic ticking noise. I'm not sure what it is, doesn't sound like engine knock, I'm hoping it's just the crank position sensor not adjusted properly. Anyone care to give it a listen, and tell me what you think? It does change with engine speed.

https://youtu.be/XcoejLdVAg4

Sounds like an accessory...maybe supercharger - check the fluid level, but be careful if you pull the fill plug, as pressure can remain inside and you don't want the stuff sprayed everywhere.

Start removing belts and see if it goes away.

Pull the dipstick and see if it's louder there.

Listen to the exhaust to see if it's failed cat.

Done any work lately?

Is the crank pulley loose or wobbly when run?

Last edited:
Pull the dipstick and see if it's louder there. - Will try that here in a bit.

Listen to the exhaust to see if it's failed cat. - Exhaust out the tail pipe sounds good, anything in particular to listen to?

Done any work lately? - All of it. I bought the car non-running with a broken dorman balancer. Replaced it with an ATP Greyworkz lifetime warranty model. It was $50 off Amazon at the time, and I didn't even know if it would run, so I couldn't justify the cost of a BHJ at the time. When I have to do it again, I'll spend the money, assuming that the car turns out to be worth it.

Is the crank pulley loose or wobbly when run? - It is not (brand new).

As a side note, it is much louder under the car than above. You almost can't hear it from behind the car. There is also no shield under the car (don't have it, didn't come with it).

Exhaust out the tail pipe sounds good, anything in particular to listen to?

See if the sound is the same. A failed cat will rattle (can full of sharp rocks) with the sound coming from underneath. Not sure your sound is the same, but it would help if you could eliminate the cats as suspects.

Done any work lately? - All of it.

...makes things that much harder, then ;) What year is it? Did you R & R the windage tray if so equipped? Dipstick tube went back in as original? Oil level calibrated? Did you get the thrust washer installed correctly w/the new cam? Torque convertor bolts tight? Flex plate checked for cracks when out?

I'm suspecting the crank sensor.

Can't hear the noise out the exhaust at all. It's an 89.
Maybe not that much of all of it, didn't pull the pan off of it (or timing cover). Removed broken dampener, replaced seal, installed new dampener, new crank sensor, re-did water pump gasket, new belts, new battery, oil change... I'm going to try and pull the belts off, and see if it continues (once it stops raining again). If it does, I'll try to adjust the crank sensor, and see if that changes the noise. If it does, I'll order another replacement, cause this one probably won't like the contact.

Try putting a rod of some sort (broom handle, long socket extension etc) on parts of the engine and put your ear to the other end. Tensioner pulleys, alternator bracket, cylinder head etc.

It's odd that it sounds louder from below. Kind of sounds like a ticking lifter or something valvetrain but hard to tell over a phone mic.

I'd take all the belts off and see if it's still doing it. That will confirm if it's external accessory or internal engine. You can run it for at least a 2-3 minutes if starting cold with no water pump.

Can't hear the noise out the exhaust at all. It's an 89.
Maybe not that much of all of it, didn't pull the pan off of it (or timing cover). Removed broken dampener, replaced seal, installed new dampener, new crank sensor, re-did water pump gasket, new belts, new battery, oil change... I'm going to try and pull the belts off, and see if it continues (once it stops raining again). If it does, I'll try to adjust the crank sensor, and see if that changes the noise. If it does, I'll order another replacement, cause this one probably won't like the contact.

While I'm doing this, anybody happen to know what the thread pitch is on the bolts for the crank position sensor? I've got one, but the other side is held in with a screw. I'd like to get a matched pair to make my life easier.

Pulled the belts off, could still hear the "tinging" noise. Repositioned the crank sensor, using a double over receipt as a spacer, and now it's fine. Sounds like I've got tensioners that need replaced, and supercharger bearings to redo, but it runs and drives now. Took it around the block this evening.

Back