Thread: ABS Code 22 - Trouble Tracking Down Issue

ABS Code 22 - Trouble Tracking Down Issue

I've been trying to track down the cause of a lit ABS light on an '89 Xr7. It has been garage kept for the past few years, and has very few miles.

ABS code is 22, which is "LH front inlet valve". Tests already completed:
    1. Checked resistance across pins 6 and 7 of valve block connector --> ~6 ohms. Within 5-8 ohm spec
    2. Checked continuity from hydraulic valve block to battery negative --> good
    3. Continuity between pin 7 of valve block connector and pin 11 of ABS module harness
    4. Continuity between pin 6 of valve block connector and pin 31 of ABS module harness
    5. Checked ABS power relay (continuity between pins 3 and 5). Need to apply power and see if it closes.

So, the valve block and wiring between it and the ABS module appear to be in working shape. I am not really sure where to look now. I went through step A20 or so in the factory service manual. When it asked to "remove the pressure warning switch connector" I stopped. That thing is in a ridiculous place!

This thread contains a few instances of bad ABS modules, and a couple mentions of bad ABS assembly grounds. I'll likely run a new ground to somewhere on the body to see if that impacts the ABS light, just because that is an easy check. And wiring tends to be the issue on other older cars I've worked on.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by mtd240; 05-01-2018 at 06:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtd240 View Post
    I've been trying to track down the cause of a lit ABS light on an '89 Xr7. It has been garage kept for the past few years, and has very few miles.

ABS code is 22, which is "LH front inlet valve". Tests already completed:
    1. Checked resistance across pins 6 and 7 of valve block connector --> ~6 ohms. Within 5-8 ohm spec
    2. Checked continuity from hydraulic valve block to battery negative --> good
    3. Continuity between pin 7 of valve block connector and pin 11 of ABS module harness
    4. Continuity between pin 6 of valve block connector and pin 31 of ABS module harness
    5. Checked ABS power relay (continuity between pins 3 and 5). Need to apply power and see if it closes.

So, the valve block and wiring between it and the ABS module appear to be in working shape. I am not really sure where to look now. I went through step A20 or so in the factory service manual. When it asked to "remove the pressure warning switch connector" I stopped. That thing is in a ridiculous place!

This thread contains a few instances of bad ABS modules, and a couple mentions of bad ABS assembly grounds. I'll likely run a new ground to somewhere on the body to see if that impacts the ABS light, just because that is an easy check. And wiring tends to be the issue on other older cars I've worked on.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
    Haha.. for me.. I wouldn't spend more than 10 minutes on that ABS trouble code. If the brakes have power assist, and the red brake warning light goes out, drive on. You can unplug the ABS computer in the trunk if you wish. You won't have ABS, but for a car this old, ABS just isn't all that important, nor worth the headache to keep it working.

Power assist, however, on this vehicle is very important. You really can't move the car more than about 10 feet without it.

Good afternoon

If the car has not been running in awhile do the simple stuff first.

Check the ground bus G121 radiator support driver side next to the headlight for signs of corrosion.

Lightly tap the ABS relay with a screwdriver handle. If the light now goes out replace the relay. I always suspect the relay whenever the ABS light is on and keep a spare (in the glove box).

Check the ABS module connector. Depending on the serviceability of the " package tray" (broken and or missing) the wiring harness position and car vibration to the ABS module could causes the pins to slightly miss align. Remove and re install the connector. As a side note this has happen to me with the passive restraint seat belt module. Remove and reconnected the two connectors. Module work fine.

Red face

I chased down the same issue for over a year on my SC. Replaced various parts, relays, pump etc, including the computer. Nothing worked. I realized that all the parts were either brand new or know working condition expect for the computer. I went through 4 computers, I got them from on EBay and this site. After installing a brand new computer from autozone the problem was fixed. I will never go with a used computer from unknow source again.
    Just a thought.
    Check out my 1993 White Auto SC page for video on how to ..
    1990 35th anniversary SC restoration project
    1990 Blue Auto SC