My mileage with a 3200-3500 non-locking stall on The Epic Drive

Kurt K

SCCoA Member
Since I've been on a few Hot Rod Power Tours, I knew my mileage would be less that 16 mpg. I wasn't sure how much a heavy dose of mountain driving would negatively affect my mileage.

Anyway, here are the results:
STL to Athens (including in-town Athens driving) -- 540 miles, 14.34 mpg.
Athens, TN to Lynn's Place -- 90 miles, 11.77 mpg
Lynn's Place to Pigeon Forge, TN (including Tail of the Dragon and in-town driving) -- 74 miles, 11.03 mpg
Alpine Coaster loop and in-town Pigeon Forge driving -- 61 miles, 9.54 mpg
Pigeon Forge, TN to Asheville, NC (including in-town driving) -- 114 miles, 9.46 mpg
Asheville, NC to STL -- 591 miles, 15.05 mpg

Round Trip -- 1470.2 miles, 109.741 gallons -- 13.40 mpg

I know my car was heavier than my Power Tour trips because I was traveling with my family. Plus, these were much steeper/longer grades than I've encountered on the Power Tour. I'm not ready to give up my non-locking converter, but if I continue to do more of these types of events I may need to consider a slightly tighter converter and sacrifice my 1/4 mile times.

With a 4.2 and a 2800rpm non locking aod:

Paoli to Athens :

16.5mpg
17.2mpg

Athens to the dragon/to pigeon Forge 12.1mpg

Hotel to alpine coaster/go karts and 100m up 75 14mpg

Next fuel stop galena Indiana 17.4mpg (80mph)

With the exception of the skyway and dragon all the interstate was cranking the ac 70/75mph on the way to Athens and 75/80 from pigeon Forge to home. Overall not that bad at all considering all the tools/beer weight I bet we were pushing 5000lb

I say go for the 4R70 swap, that way you can lock the converter on the highway and on the street, but not sacrifice your 1/4mi times at all, and your highway mileage will drastically improve. It's really the best of both worlds.

I say go for the 4R70 swap, that way you can lock the converter on the highway and on the street, but not sacrifice your 1/4mi times at all, and your highway mileage will drastically improve. It's really the best of both worlds.

Agreed! if i ever do another transmission i will just buy the controller and get an 04 mustang trans a nice converter, j mod rock on

Back