Highly modified O2's?

aroot1

SCCoA Member
Not a SC, but have a highly modified '87 5.0 with mass air conversion that I believe just chucked O2 sensors. Ford actually puts calibration codes in the door jambs to determine "correct" oem sensors. Obviously these would not even be close for this car now.

Are there a particular calibration, brand, or part # for "universal" hi perf/modified O2's anyone would recommend? I figure if you guys have found something that works for a modified SC, they'd be just as good for modified 5.0

Thanks

Adam

Last edited:
So the cheapest option would be fine here, Chris? Or is there something to keep in mind after all?

I took Chris's advice, and picked up NTK's 22013, listed for most 5.0's I crossed. Was surprised that they were the cheeper option for the most part. NOT the way my luck runs on most part costs :rolleyes:

HOWEVER.... When I pulled em, the driverside looked good, but the passenger side was literally SOAKED in raw fuel :eek: When I pulled the plugs I found the same, drivers were rich, but not bad for a highly modified car without a tune, the pass were again dripping wet. When I ran thru the plug wires after getting it running (no better I might add) to be sure they were seated I also noticed the pass side was MUCH cooler, I could barely touch the driver side boots, or keep my hands in the area. Pass side, I could touch the boots almost comfortably, and keep hands in the area a lot longer.

This was a sudden "catastrophic" failure, I drove to work fine, 12hrs later I could barely get it home. Dam thing was backfiring in the header tubes (popping under hood) surging, missing, and smoking like a diesel "rollin' coal" ( I could actually see the clouds in my mirrors in the headlights of the cars behind me) :mad:. This is not coolant or oil smoke, it is fuel. I also realized that the check engine light does not come on when cycling the key to start. I figured this out when I didn't understand it throwing me no codes whit such a sudden change. Gonna see if I can pull codes next.

Although this is not a SC, I am hoping some of the EEC IV guru's out there will chime in. I am not sure what could cause a BANK to BANK fuel/spark problem to dump raw fuel like this, other than the pass O2 reading way lean. That is why I figured the O2 would correct it. And I DO believe it is a FUEL problem, I burned through 1/2 a tank in 50 miles and a couple 1/2 to 1 hour trouble shooting sessions in the drive :eek:. If it won't "talk" to me would these symptoms (no communication, right bank only fuel/spark issue, no check engine lite) indicate a computer failure? In all my years with 5.0 and SC's I have NEVER seen the computer fail, but.... always a first time

Any thoughts appreciated

Adam

Back