Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cruise Control issue - F-100/SC

C120 LB/BK - looks like one wire that sits between the EEC and the speed control switch in the steering wheel.

>Do colors change (ie, at C182 from BK to W/LB) between connectors?

Goes thru C182, same color.

EEC #28------ LB/BK--C120--LB/BK--C182--LB/BK--speed control switch assembly/slip ring

Original location pass. side dash at the firewall 'behind right hand cowl panel' - shows it coming out of a bundle that runs far right, above, then along down along the outside of the glove box opening, then forward, down , then the bundle forks out to C120 that is tagged ' to body.

No idea on gold flakes, sorry.

No idea about bypass. I'd not get creative with any wire that is directly connected to the EEC...

Do both the horn and the original cigar lighter work? They're at C182 P/O which feeds into another slip ring at the steering wheel.

C182 W/LB is on yet another slip ring.

Remind me, are you missing all cc functions, or just some? Coast/Set Accel vs. Resume vs. Off/On....? I see three resistors in there.
    Last edited by KMT; 06-03-2018 at 06:45 PM.

All CC functions non-operable. Except resume. It resumes doing nothing when I push it.

Horn works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by KMT View Post
    No idea about bypass. I'd not get creative with any wire that is directly connected to the EEC...
    Now Ken, Do I look like the sort that would take risks in this regard...

On the other hand, is there some way to detect EEC output at those terminals?

John

>It resumes doing nothing when I push it.
    heheh

>Do I look like the sort that would take risks in this regard.
    Do I seem like someone that would suggest caution casually? It's not about you, it's about the ugly smelling smoke that gets turned loose when an eec fries...haven't found a way to put it back in the box yet.

>is there some way to detect EEC output at those terminals?
    It's at this point things get sticky. The number of pages I referenced above lean heavily on using a breakout box. My concept of getting creative in this example is trying to t'shoot without one. Your problem is that the cc doesn't work below a certain speed (23mph?), so...without a breakout box, you might not be able to tell if a certain circuit is dead by design, or just dead.

Have you pulled the steering wheel and sanity checked the controls, wipers inside? I can list the ohms for each of the three circuits, but if you've lost them all, I doubt they're a factor.

How's the tension on the cc cable at the TB? See http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthre...l+cable+adjust
    Last edited by KMT; 06-03-2018 at 09:51 PM.

I have a couple of British Lucas specimens in my garage, so electrical fires have happened on my watch! One vehicle was cured by putting in a Miata engine with, yup, an ECC. No cruise control however...

I haven't given up on the idea of finding a loose wire somewhere. Too many times playing under that dash makes it a high probability.

The ohms listed for the various CC switch functions were all in range. How could I go the other direction and (safely) test each circuit for continuity?

Thanks,
    John

By the book... (skipping visual inspection, IP testing, code reads, and quick tests)

Symptom: Speed control does not work - Code 11 ▶ Go To G

G:
    Circuit - Vehicle Speed Sensor Coil Winding
    Test Pin 3 & Test Pin 6
    • G1 Speed Sensor Resistance Check (involves breakout box)
    • G2 Check for Short in Sensor Input Circuit
    • G3 Check for Open in Sensor Input Circuit

G3 (skipping G1 & G2)
    • Key off
    • Disconnect harness connector from vehicle speed sensor
    • DVOM on 2000 ohm scale
    • Measure resistance between the two connector pins

DVOM reading greater than 240 ohms ▶ REPLACE speed sensor - Repeat Quick Tests
    DVOM reading between 180 and 240 ohms ▶ REPAIR open in wire harness between sensor and EEC-IV pins 3 and 6 - Repeat Quick Tests
    Last edited by KMT; 06-04-2018 at 10:06 AM.

Thanks Ken,

I am back to the weekly grind, and the forum was down when I went to the shop tonight after work.

Did not find any interruptions in the wiring. Have not seen the Speed Control Sensor mentioned anywhere yet so will need to check it tomorrow. Hoping it shows failure, because I am at a dead end!

John

Some basic question in understanding the EVTM

What do the numbers represent next to each line representing a conductor?

Do color combinations get used for different purposes?

I see my speed control wire in the book is to be a DG/W. I found a wire of this exact color coming from the LH side of the dash, but cant find the other end on the RH side. Smaller gauge so it could be a signal wire. But my instrument cluster (original Tbird SC) works fine, so that indicates it is connected, right?

Battling on...

John

What do the numbers represent next to each line representing a conductor?
    Those are (local?) circuit numbers, typically referenced when looking at a given connector face/pinout chart, where the circuit's function is listed.

Do color combinations get used for different purposes?
    • EEC pin 3 to C120 DG/W
    • Automatic Shock Control Module pin 3 to C113 DG/W
    • Variable Assist Power Steering Module pin 9 to C113 DG/W
    • IP pins 12/3/3 to C311/C140/C223 (depending on model 'bird) DG/W

...all circuit #150 in and out of Secondary Junction Block, leaving as one wire w/different # connectors based on trans type, leading to the VSS, coming out as circuit 359 BK/W to ground G100.

But my instrument cluster (original Tbird SC) works fine, so that indicates it is connected, right?
    The speedo is the only thing in the cluster that uses 150 to ground via 359, I think, after the VSS, but it if works, that means the VSS is connected/working.

but cant find the other end on the RH side
    I don't think circuit 150~DG/W lives over there... CC related wires there are W/LB & LB/BK as I previously referenced above, connected at C120 (circuit #151), in the vicinity of the EEC.

C182 (W/LB) is on the LH side, IP, near the steering column, headed for the steering wheel, also referenced above.