Transmission cooler

kenewagner

What is everyone using for an upgrade transmission cooler. Looking to see who has the best and most efficient setup

Ken

What is everyone using for an upgrade transmission cooler. Looking to see who has the best and most efficient setup

Ken

I bought the best option offered at AAP for cooling. Nothing over the top fancy, but I want to say it's application list was for heavy towing with an RV. Had the highest cooling ratings for the options offered. I've ran it for a few years without issues....actually found it on there web site.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/imperial-maxi-kool-xl-transmission-oil-cooler-243012/5670021-P

-Tim

Kurt K has best transmission cooler setup I've ever seen on an SC. I think it was made by company called Seatrab.

David

I have had some major hear problems with the small non locking tq converter and now adding the tranny lock. I am experencing a lot of high temps on the transmission fluid. I hate to spend big bucks on some of the nice setups I have seen on line. I picked up a 6.0 power stroke diesel truck tranny cooler for 25 bucks and am remote mounting it in the area of the old gas tank. Have built a custom shroud with a radiator size fan to cool things down. Im sure it has enough cooling capacity

Ken

Ken,
I know you've already got a plan, but I'll put this here anyway just in case it ever comes up future searches.

As David mentioned, I'm running a Seatrab plate&frame style cooler that I originally purchased through Art Carr a long time ago. It is mounted at a 45° angle from the ground under my battery on a piece of aluminum that I bolted to the frame through existing bolt holes. The cooler is approximately 6" x 12" x 2"thick and came with twin 6" fans. I then added some stainless steel ducting to one of the bumper openings (for air to enter) and opened up some of the fender liner (so air can exit).

I was concerned about taking my car and entire family on The Epic Drive and how the 3500-3800 non-locking converter would handle the extra load and long steep grades. There were a few long hills that I could watch my transmission temperature climb as the hill continued, but my transmission never went above 195°F and then recovered to 180°F pretty quickly. The ambient temperatures weren't very hot, so I am slightly concerned if I did a similar drive in 100°F temps.

I run a deraile stacked plate cooler that lives where the stock intercooler used to be that's roughly close to that size (a little smaller) 36k gvw cooler if I am not mistaken. I used to run a stock powerstroke cooler and it did not cool like this does at all not even close.

Back