Blue SC chit chat

ricardoa1

Posting an update for those that still care to read on sccoa.com. Last year was a bitter sweet experience with the SC I got the car back from SCU got a nifty Dyno sheet and was left with a car that needed some love back. Gettting back into the swing of the things with limited time and resources I decided to attend the Scshootout an event that had been on back burner for quite some time. Well in an attempt to rid of driveline vibrations I replaced rear axles with spares ones, and borrowed a 3.27 rear from Jay put it in the trunk and started driving. Loaded it up I made it to NJ where an SC member helped me switch the rear end to rid of the noises and vibrations. Well noises went away but vibes were still there but along I go to the shootout, during fuel ups I notice the dreaded tire dust on the rear bumper. Which means tires are getting destroyed, junk in the trunk bites me again. Anyways onwards we went, AC blowing Uber cold to the point of freezing the evaporator :) car has no issues as I arrived the event at midnight.
Event went well but Dyno day owned me with an engine fire from a loose nitrous fuel line. Sidelines I went and just threw in the towel, not that it mattered we all got rained out on Sunday so needless to say the event was a bust for our team.

Well limped home, skating through the rain on bald rear tires. Curb rashed a wheel on a curb. Started overheating 4 hours from home, fan stopped working and oil leaking from. The oil pan and rear main seal.

But old blue kept on going as long no traffic was present. Pulling up to the house the clutch slave cylinder stated to leak.

Made it home and parked it while mentally preparing the winter to do list.

Forward till last weekend. I accomplished replacing the leaky oil pan gasket, rear main seal, clutch slave cylinder, replaced my worn out m5r2 (reverse and 4th grinded occasionally) with a spare in good shape one, rebuilt my old alum 3.08 with carbon a carbon clutch pack, fixed a bad rad fan connection, tossed the aluminum carrier bushings for the energy suspension ones for NHV purposes, balanced the aluminum driveshaft since that was the only thing left to do chasing the vibes, realigned the exhaust tips, new oil and sent it!

Aside from accomplishing the obvious, I managed to get back my reverse lamps (trans switch must have been toast) and got rid of most of the vibes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sc shuffle items, ripping the lower rubber shifter boot. Have one? Hit me up!

I never got a chance to toss the addco sway bar for some 89 bars, and the odo gears. I felt overwhelmed already with the above list.

Still, I also need to replace any burnt hoses and vac lines. I’ve had no success sourcing, anyone parting a late model hit me up pls

Wish list, toss the LM1 crap and get a wfh that actually works and doesn’t overheat and a dedicated fuel source for the nitrous.

Car runs good, but god does it use fuel unless on the highway but that’s cause well RACE CAR!

Ricardo,

Sounds like you've been busy, good to hear! :)

Did you solve the vibrations?

Joe

Funny thing is I went for a drive and forgot that was one of the issues. I was worried about rear end noises and temperature, front end bushings were making weird noises over large dips. after a long drive they seem to have dissapered. Once comfortable with the car that’s when I realized the vibes were mostly eliminated. Now it just feels like a 28 yo car. So I’m happy.

Glad to hear things are heading in a better direction for you! I most likely have all the parts you're looking for to fix your car, as I'm in the process of parting out a 94 5spd - shoot me some pictures via text and I'll help ya out. I know we spoke briefly after the car lit up the shootout ;) in the heat of things...LMK.

Funny you posted, I was actually talking about ya last night. My "revamp" has been as much of a struggle as what you've described in the previous help group thread and in here. Every time Chris fixes something to get the car back to me, another issue shows itself, 3 years of sitting hasn't been friendly. Taking it on the power tour is a true test of faith at this point..might have one hell of a story or headache depending on how things unfold.

-Tim

LOL, and that's why I don't drive my SC anymore.

Yeah I hear ya try to give it love and it just hates it.

Im back to jackstand racing something gave when opening it up on the highway. Fun lasted two weekends.

I don’t know if it’s the clutch or in the input shaft area of the transmission. Lots of whining and mechanical gear rooughness. I don’t think the clutch exploded but it’s possible. But likely is gear box related, it sometimes locks me out of all gears. iDK f u k it back inside the garage till god knows when. Long live the super coupe.

Im back to jackstand racing something gave when opening it up on the highway. Fun lasted two weekends.

I don’t know if it’s the clutch or in the input shaft area of the transmission. Lots of whining and mechanical gear rooughness. I don’t think the clutch exploded but it’s possible. But likely is gear box related, it sometimes locks me out of all gears. iDK f u k it back inside the garage till god knows when. Long live the super coupe.

Sounds like it's time for a 6 speed swap! But I feel your pain. My SC has been on jackstands in the garage for the past 3 years because life keeps getting in the way. Sometimes I'm jealous of those on here who have so much free time to wrench on their cars. I can't even finish up a simple Mustang hub swap.

Mike

Sounds like it's time for a 6 speed swap! But I feel your pain. My SC has been on jackstands in the garage for the past 3 years because life keeps getting in the way. Sometimes I'm jealous of those on here who have so much free time to wrench on their cars. I can't even finish up a simple Mustang hub swap.

Mike

Mike id love to but no funds and I’m retiring this rig from racing, it will just be a highway rolling bruiser/ dyno beotch. I can’t afford breaking stuff anymore, I don’t want to be stranded at a racing event, sometimes I’ve gotten lucky but more times than not I decommission the car for some lame reason. I was close this time around to getting a good running SC things looked good till the tranny let go last night.

Tim,

I’ll hit you up soon. Got an expensive Disney vacation with the kids coming up so no rush haha.
Thanks for listening guys.

Yep. That sounds familiar. Entirely new suspension, alum pig and MK VIII arms, gears, DLF's bushings, new Tokicos. Got the alignment done, wound it up real tight coming off on ramp....... And we have a bottom end noise....

Yet we still love these rigs somehow, LOL!

Back