Correct way to fill cooling system help?

90blacksc

I have my bird back together. I replaced the thermostat and ect sensor. I've looked and seen different way to fill the cooling system. So I'm wondering what's the correct way. As in radiator fill and reservoir fill. Thamks im advance

I have my bird back together. I replaced the thermostat and ect sensor. I've looked and seen different way to fill the cooling system. So I'm wondering what's the correct way. As in radiator fill and reservoir fill. Thamks im advance
Proper way? Unscrew the white radiator tube on the thermostat housing, fill the radiator full, fill the overflow tank to the top mark. Close everything up, drive for a day, check the overflow once the car has cooled down, and refill to the lower mark.

Less than proper way: fill the radiator, fill overflow tank to top mark, drive, wait for cool down, refill overflow tank to lower mark.

That's good news. I had to replace mine two weeks ago...again - was new in 2013, but it came w/lifetime warranty from AutoZone, so that worked out.

Thank for the followup and good luck.

Ken

That's good news. I had to replace mine two weeks ago...again - was new in 2013, but it came w/lifetime warranty from AutoZone, so that worked out.

Thank for the followup and good luck.

Ken

Drove it to work today. Seems to running alittle warm, needle is right past the M on the gauge. I may have a air pocket still

Drove it to work today. Seems to running alittle warm, needle is right past the M on the gauge. I may have a air pocket still
Past M is too high for my preference. If you filled it as you should, and frankly you have to work to do it wrong :rolleyes:, it more likely that your fan is not running. Because the ECT is at the top :)rolleyes: not such a great design), then it could very well be an air pocket. That will clear itself out on its own. Just refill the overflow tank when after the car has cooled down. If it does it again, there may be a problem with the Relay module.

fan is running now.

If it goes to around M, then the fan comes on and it cools down to around N, wash/rinse/repeat, then I'd say it's back to normal.

Resist the urge to remove the radiator cap to take a look...don't break the vacuum. Keep an eye on the level in the expansion tank, checking/leveling when cold after sitting over nite. Any remaining air should work it's way out after a few cycles.

If it goes to around M, then the fan comes on and it cools down to around N, wash/rinse/repeat, then I'd say it's back to normal.

Resist the urge to remove the radiator cap to take a look...don't break the vacuum. Keep an eye on the level in the expansion tank, checking/leveling when cold after sitting over nite. Any remaining air should work it's way out after a few cycles.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep my hands off the radiator. And just keep an eye on the expansion

Anybody know what's the name of the hose that run from the thermostat housing to the front of the intake manifold. It's a small little curved hose. I need to replace it and I'm having a hard time finding what it actually is called. Any help would be greatly appreciated

So update on the car. I replaced the bypass hose earlier in the week. I ran the car at the house woth the a/c off, car ran fine didn't run hot. Took the car out today for a drive and started to run hot again. I've replaced the ECT and the sensor on the thermostat housing near the bypass hose. I've also replace the IRCM. I'm not sure what's next.

...and what about that bubble stream in the expansion tank?

Remind me - did you replace the radiator cap yet?

...and what about that bubble stream in the expansion tank?

Remind me - did you replace the radiator cap yet?
Once the car starts to run on the warmer side I get bubble in the expansion tank. I have not replaced the cap

A consistent bubble stream might be cracked head(s) and/or failing headgasket(s). Might as well throw a new 16# cap at it, on the hope that it helps. If not, that's one less thing you'll need to buy when you do the heads/gaskets.

Back