89' SC New Motor - Broken Dipstick - Please help

Barkman42

I put a reman ATK motor in my car. I checked the oil yesterday and everything was fine. I drove it and put in a fresh tank of gas. I came home and noted a "tapping" sound. I removed the disptick and the bottom 1.5 inches is missing from the dipstick. I drained the oil today and did not locate the broken piece. Please help. The work to my car cost $8,000.

What is the dipstick length, minus the cap and handle?

I suppose you could search for, and possibly retrieve, the missing piece with an inspection camera and magnet, but I'm not sure it will be an issue - I'd be more concerned about what happened and how to not repeat it.

Was that the original dipstick an tube?

Last edited:
Sounds like the dip stick tube got bent towards the crank and rubbed the end of the dip stick off. Same thing mine is doing. I have at least 3 tips in my pan. I keep a good stick in the trunk so I can check the oil level and keep the broken stick in the tube.

I see 27 1/2" exposed below the cap-stop/retainer, 29 3/4" over all, so your math works out.

I presume the tapping sound stopped? Do you remember how long it lasted?

Seems odd the end would just be clipped off if the tube was installed to back stock orientation... Any sign of the end being chewed on, or did it break off clean?

Assuming the missing section is one piece, you could get your hands on an inspection camera and look around thru the drain hole...might try sliding a large magnet around on the bottom of the pan as best you can to see if you can coax it towards the hole. That one piece won't get picked up by the oil pump/screen, and could lay on the bottom of the pan for some time, I'd think. I'm sure you know the only way to be sure, tho.

When you say you put a reman engine in, does that mean you did the work yourself? The engine came with a warranty, so...

If it was because the tube was at a different angle, replacing just the stick just means it will happen again. Might consider finding a replacement tube and stick...

Last edited:
Sounds like the dip stick tube got bent towards the crank and rubbed the end of the dip stick off. Same thing mine is doing. I have at least 3 tips in my pan. I keep a good stick in the trunk so I can check the oil level and keep the broken stick in the tube.

Same here!! I thought I was the only one lol

It is a crate motor from ATK. I assisted in putting the motor in. The dipstick didn't appear to be chewed on. It snapped off clean. It sounds like this is not the first occurrence for these cars? The "tapping" sound stopped when I pulled the broken dipstick out of the tube. The broken stick is tapping against the inside of the tube.

Last edited:
It is a crate motor from ATK. I assisted in putting the motor in.

Ah...I was just trying to imagine where $8k went for just a fresh crate motor, but I guess that included other work.

It sounds like this is not the first occurrence for these cars?

Perhaps in conjunction with certain repairs, I guess, during which the tube gets bent. I'm on my second dipstick & tube and it was just out again for rewelding to the bracket, but I've not had any issues with interference.

If you get another tube and stick, be sure to compare it to the old one for shape.

Good luck.

KMT, I replaced pretty much everything that bolts to the motor. I bought this car in 97’ and it has been sitting since late 2000. I decided to bring her back to life. It has always been my favorite car to drive.

Back