Thread: synthetic oil

synthetic oil

Does anyone run Synthetic oil in their SC...I have a 91. Is it ok to use it and what viscosity ?

Thank You

Been running synthetic since I got mine, 10 yrs. ago. There was already a Mobil 1 decal under the hood so I assume that's what it'd run before. Seems perfect for these cars. As the factory sticker under the hood says, 5W-30.

With 110,000 on the odo, I've been using Mobil 1 High Mileage (not to be confused w/Extended) - helps control minor leaks.
    Last edited by KMT; 07-08-2018 at 11:46 AM.

oil

What about 5w30 Royal Purple ?

I run the same 5W-30 mobil 1 in my SC's

Synthetic oil is better in every way, and is better for every engine in every car. It is just a question of whether it is worth the additional cost to you.

oil

Thanks for all your help gang. I think I will go with it then.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
    Synthetic oil is better in every way, and is better for every engine in every car. It is just a question of whether it is worth the additional cost to you.
    Well not in zinc content way for those of us without Roller lifters in some old engines. Lifters that need to rotate need that zinc for proper valvetrain operation. But that’s a problem with most modern oils these days not just syntentic.

oil

Thanks for your input Joe

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by JoePolo View Post
    Well not in zinc content way for those of us without Roller lifters in some old engines. Lifters that need to rotate need that zinc for proper valvetrain operation. But thatís a problem with most modern oils these days not just syntentic.
    User a synthetic blend diesel oil, like Rotella T5.

T6 is lower in zinc, and may require a ZDDP additive with oil changes now (change was during 2017, alas.)

There's always the ZDDP additive packages; such as https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rislone-3...tment/52628126 for one fairly easy to obtain package.

RwP

Quote Originally Posted by JoePolo View Post
    Well not in zinc content way for those of us without Roller lifters in some old engines. Lifters that need to rotate need that zinc for proper valvetrain operation. But thatís a problem with most modern oils these days not just syntentic.
    Valvoline VR1 racing oil is fully synthetic, and high zinc content. Thatís what I use on customerís cars that have flat tappet cams.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
    Valvoline VR1 racing oil is fully synthetic, and high zinc content. Thatís what I use on customerís cars that have flat tappet cams.
    Thatís the one I usually use however I donít think itís synthetic, that or they donít advertise it on the bottle or the website. Additives work too.

Quote Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
    User a synthetic blend diesel oil, like Rotella T5.

T6 is lower in zinc, and may require a ZDDP additive with oil changes now (change was during 2017, alas.)

There's always the ZDDP additive packages; such as https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rislone-3...tment/52628126 for one fairly easy to obtain package.

RwP
    Totally, I usually pick oils wisely haha I just was being a stickler for the comment of it is better for every engine in every way.