Thread: DTC 217 Primary ignition coil failure coil#3

DTC 217 Primary ignition coil failure coil#3

More super coupe life problems. I think I’m chasing a short. So before i started trying to get my AC going I got a drivability issue Lost of power at startup Rough idle wide band would go dead lean. It would do it while cold and occasionally while warm. Pulled codes and 217 keeps popping up if I clear and experience the issue. I swapped in a BorgWarner nice new piece and works great for 3 days now I get the same drivability same code. The old coil pack showed black crusty stuff and the inside bottom of coil 3 so I figured it was a justified replacement. I eyeballed the harness and it looked ok. I plan removing the harness and going through it completely but any other ideas? Also Alternator went out. I think the tint shop might’ve hooked up a booster wrong. I replaced with a used one from my shed and cleaned al my battery connections and grounds and solenoid contacts. Starts up better so there’s that!
    Last edited by figulaz; 07-10-2018 at 05:23 PM.
    --L.Figueroa

The coil grounds to the coil mount then to the bracket holding the coil, alternator, and power steering pump, then the bracket transfers the ground to the block, be sure all mounting points are clean to ensure good grounds for all.
    Last edited by fstcoup; 07-10-2018 at 06:08 PM.

DTC217 solved

So I got lazy and decided to throw a ICM this morning at the problem instead of actual diagnostic work and it drove fine for about 5 mins and the I got the 211 pip code. It kind a bucked and wanted to shut off at higher rpms which was different than the loss off power when I got the 217 code. The ICM I changed was the Wells F135 boxed by Autozone duralast for $60. This part number is for an 89 SC. The 93 SC calls for Wells F147 which was $160.from what Iíve read these are backwards compatible. Has anyone had a similar experience fixed by using correct ICM? Its intermittent. I checked the crankshaft pulley with the belt off...Bolt is there and no wobble Cam sensor was replaced about 1 year ago and I have tach signal but it gets a little erratic when fault manifests itself. I kind donít mind the throwing some parts at it as these senors may be upto 25 yrs old for all I know
    Last edited by figulaz; 08-15-2018 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Solved
    --L.Figueroa

Unhappy Solved?? Kinda?!

For my situation I ended pulling the ignition harness and re-taping and putting new corrugated wire loom sleeves. I tested plug wires with voltmeter everything checked out. I think what may have done it was pulling the crank sensor and wiping off a layer of soot were the vanes pass thru and also wiped the vanes clean. The other possibility was physically disconnecting and reconnecting the wires helped with a ground or something. I hate not having a clear ďA-haah that was the issue all alongĒ fix. . Either way itís been several days and no issues or codes
    --L.Figueroa

Not uncommon, and more a reflection of just how much these cars rely on their electronics. Couple that with nearly 3 decades of wear/tear and opportunities for corrosion in both connectors & grounds and your experience is no real surprise. And all the more reason we need to remember to troubleshoot signal volts and circuit ohms by the book, instead of just guessing with new parts..

Makes one wonder how many new parts weren't really needed, where someone puts one in, thinking the old IRCM, sensor, etc. was the issue, when it was just a matter of re-socketing/cleaning/dressing the connector, redoing/replacing the ground[/I]) and that happened in the process.

Thanks for the followup - lesson learned and good luck with your car.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by KMT View Post
    Makes one wonder how many new parts weren't really needed, where someone puts one in, thinking the old IRCM, sensor, etc. was the issue, when it was just a matter of re-socketing/cleaning/dressing the connector, redoing/replacing the ground and that happened in the process.
    I'm going to use my CET certification and say ... about 75% or so.

RwP

Quote Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
    I'm going to use my CET certification and say ... about 75% or so.

RwP

Sounds about right.

Ken